No more unlimited data?

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Please no, I have a Droid X, my mom and sister have an iPhone 4, and my other sister has a blackberry. Which means someone is going to be yelled at for using data.

just what Papa54 said, everyone is gonna get charged, just pick the upper plan to avoid the hassles

eibbed0001

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Verizon eyes family data plans | Reuters

"Verizon Wireless plans to kick off pricing changes this summer by eliminating smartphone plans that allow unlimited Web access for a flat fee. It will replace them with tiered pricing that forces heavy data users to pay more for mobile data.

After this change the company will look to soften the blow by offering more options such as family plans for data services, Chief Financial Officer Fran Shammo told the Reuters Global Technology Summit.

While families can share a bucket of minutes for phone calls today, each family member with a smartphone has to pay $30 per month each for data services. If they own a tablet computer they pay another separate data fee.

"We had individual minutes for individual users. Then we eventually got to what we call family share where everyone in the family shares the same minutes," Shammo said.

"I think it's safe to assume that at some point you are going to have mega-plans (for data) and people are going to share that mega-plan based on the number of devices within their family. That's just a logical progression," he said, but did not provide a time frame for such mega-plans."

bucrepus

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Data Usage

This is all garbage. It is just a scheme to make money. The carriers advertise and promote smartphones that use services that can take up extraordinary amounts of data, including streaming music and movies. They promote this in their own stores. They know they can release these new faster, data intensive smartphones, knowing you will suck up GB's of data quickly, especially at LTE speed. I would call it a 'screwing in progress'... All these different data plans..Mega, Small, whatever... What's money got to do with actual bandwidth on the tower? The tower can handle X number of users at X amount of bandwidth. Users using X amount of data at WHATEVER cost has nothing to do with tower specs... Data, voice, whatever, is still a data stream.

anon(49997)

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
I have to agree with you somewhat there. They have statistical annalists pouring over all the figures of data flow and billing and they know as a society we are hooked.

An executive is pressured to get better numbers and BAM! We take it in the shorts.

Just know how to live within your means, and adjust as necessary and know for sure, "The Beatings Will continue".

The only thing we can hope for is competition like the Gas wars but forget that.

And as forum posters we are a huge minority. The masses are greatly misinformed in comparison and believe or know only what the store reps tell them.

Ugh!

icu

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I "think" Sprint is smarter than that. They already market themselves as the alternative carrier. I think they will gain many customers if they continue unlimited service.

Also WiMAX is a different kind of data service is it not? Is it subject to the same kind of problems experienced by the other networks when under heavy usage? I've nice no idea.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

anon(49997)

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
I "think" Sprint is smarter than that. They already market themselves as the alternative carrier. I think they will gain many customers if they continue unlimited service.

A note on Sprint, I know people leaving Sprint because coverage has has lost ground instead of getting better in the N. GA area. Something has changed in the last year or so in the type of freq they use or something.

There are places they used to have coverage in buildings that at&t and Verizon would not work, as well as outside.

Have they changed something major?

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site

As I stated before, and I hate to be the doomsayer, and the article is right. They aren't gonna get rid of unlimited but it is not gonna be $30 anymore. I will stick by my original thoughts earlier, it will go up to around $40 per month.

It is all just speculation until they really announce it so there is no point us beating the dead horse....

nugiene

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Here's a possibility, maybe VZW will increase the cost of individual data plans to say $40. But, also provide shared family data plans from $20. Now if someone has a family plan in which one of the members is a data hog(points at self), then we are stuck paying more all the way around. Hmmmmm, that sux

adjangs

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I find it odd when Verizon gives away something like "unlimited plans will end soon."

Normally, you would expect strategy to remain secret until it's implemented... so who are they trying to manipulate: competitors or customers?

Drum up more customers who think they'll get grandfathered into unlimited (which they might not, I haven't seen a contract as of late)?

I doubt they are just being honest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995