Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default VZW - Do I purchase a smartphone now, or wait to see tiered options??

I posted this elsewhere, but kind of feel like it may deserve its own thread....so here goes:

I have an honest question to this thread. I am a newbie to Android Central. So new, in fact, that I don't even own an Android device at this point. My problem is in deciding what would be the most cost effective. I am currently on a family plan with three phones, none of which are smart phones. If I switched it would cost me another $30 a month which equates to a total of an additional $360 a year. This would be a total of about $780 a year for me alone on this contract. Now, granted, this is unlimited data- or at least up to 5GB, which is probably no-where near where what I would use. I plan to use my phone for talking, texting, streaming music like an ipod type device, and playing around with an app or two daily- maybe checking facebook or whatever. I can honestly say I have no idea how much data usage that would even be. Is it worth it to buy a phone now just to lock in the unlimited data? Or as I'm already on a family plan and they may work out some sort of family data plan wait for that since at that point my boyfriend would probably upgrade also. Please help with any comments you may have, or feel free to move this elsewhere if this thread deserves to be someplace else. I appreciate everyone's help.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Since no one else answered, I will throw out my 2 cents. unless you REALLY want a smartphone right now, wait until they announce what the pricing is gonna be on the tiered plans. There will be a certain period between announcement and implementation that will allow you to make a more informed choice. Right now it seems to me that you would just be chucking money away.

One bit of warning though. Right now all you use and plan to use is what you stated above. When you do get the smartphone that will change, if for no other reason than you CAN do other things.

All of a sudden you will find it necessary to check all your emails (even if not, if may still run in the background) surf the net more, stream music from Pandora instead of just using the iPod songs, etc.

It will happen, but for now just play the waiting game.

Oh one other thing, you may have some "better" choices depending on when you by it. There are quite a few new phones planned for this summer and if you buy in now, you will be locked in for 2 years....
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thank you. I appreciate your input.

ROM
    OEM Unlock + Root

i thought my usage would be lite due to not using much when i had my blackberry but i have used over 5 gigs a month many times. i dont know how you will use the phone once its in your hand but i like not having limits, isnt that what android is all about?
    Thanked by:
    Coffee Addict

Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM9/Franco Kernal

Quote Originally Posted by HawaiianLaker View Post
    i thought my usage would be lite due to not using much when i had my blackberry but i have used over 5 gigs a month many times. i dont know how you will use the phone once its in your hand but i like not having limits, isnt that what android is all about?
    Blackberry's compress data, and their browser is also horrible (as are their non email apps for the most part, when it comes to data anyway) The average blackberry user will consume 4x MORE data on an android device, and that number can be a lot higher. So for example if you used 250MB on a blackberry, your android usage could be a lot closer to 1GB.

If there is a phone you're excited about now, go and get it. If you want to hold out for a bit and see what's coming down the pipe, you can get GREAT deals on devices on ebay right now. for example, there are people selling the Original Incredible for just 250 (sometimes lower) just make sure the device is in good condition and isn't reported as lost/stolen. I got my Incredible off of Ebay (Gazelle store) and couldn't be happier. It's STILL an amazing device.

Activating with a phone off of Ebay will NOT extend your contract, but if you switch to an LTE phone eventually you SHOULD be grandfathered, unless Verizon seriously messes with their plans.
    I'm a tech junkie with a weak spot for Good Music, Good Beer, and Excellent Coffee.

If you like tech toys and gadgets then I'm willing to bet once you get your hands on an Android phone you'll get sucked in. You'll suddenly be using it for everything and be addicted to it. My first "smart phone" was a windows mobile device 4 years and a few months ago.. It was a craptastic Samsung 760 that I hacked and messed with for 2 years. Even though it was horribly slow and clunk I was sucked in and started doing everything on it. 2 years ago I got a Blackberry and once again was sucked in.. My calendar and contacts were all there... along with time sheets.. moderate web usage.. and a few games.
    Got my first Android phone last Friday... The DroidX2.... Phone has barely left my hand since I activated it. Since it's almost always with you and can do so much it pretty much becomes a part of you. Between facebook... Tapatalk... and all the other apps it's very addicting. So.. I suggest just getting the phone you want and don't wait. IME Verizon is usually pretty good about changing plan features as long as you don't drop them. I've changed texting plans halfway through before... No reason you can't change data plans.
    However... once they switch to the tiered data plan you won't have access to previous plans.. So lock in now and wait and see.