Everything You Wanted To Know About The Verizon Plan Changes

AndroidXTC

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Looks good for everyone that has the unlimited pkg. it wont even change at upgrade time according to this. Worth repeating IMO.

Verizon Indirect Dealer Memo

As of this morning we have been given the green light to start training on the data changes Verizon Wireless is making effective 7/7/11.

$29.99 unlimited data will be discontinued effective 7/7/11

•EXISTING CUSTOMERS- That have our $29.99 unlimited data plan WILL BE GRANDFATHERED IN, they will keep their unlimited plan after 7/7/11

•EXISTING CUSTOMERS- That current have the unlimited data WILL BE ABLE TO UPGRADE AND KEEP the unlimited data feature (No known end date on this as of this moment)

•EXISTING CUSTOMERS- That add lines post 7/7/2011, will NOT be able to choose the $29.99 unlimited data feature

•NEW CUSTOMERS- Any customer that sets up service from now, until 7/7/2011 WILL BE ON, AND WILL BE GRANDFATHERED into our $29.99 unlimited data package

•NEW CUSTOMERS- Any new customer that set up service AFTER 7/7/2011, WILL NOT be able to choose the $29.99 unlimited plan

•BUSINESS DISCOUNTS- Currently our business discounts apply to the $29.99 data plan on the primary line only. Most discounts are 20% despite whatever monthly access discount they have

•BUSINESS DISCOUNTS- After 7/7/2011 data discounts will only apply to the $50 and higher data packages on the primary line.

•Discount break down ex. of customers with a 20% feature discount on their primary line. ($50-20%=$40/month for 5GB and includes the business e-mail feature)

•-- ($20/GB vs. $40/GB+ Business e-mail )

New data pricing for smart phones is as follows:

•$30 for 2GB with $10/GB overage

•$50 for 5GB (this also includes business e-mail at no additional charge) with $10/GB overage

•$80 for 10GB (this also includes business e-mail at no additional charge) with $10/GB overage

So all changes effective July 7th, 2011.

Existing customer KEEP their $29.99 unlimited data plan

If an existing customer upgrades from a feature phone to a smart phone after 7/7/11, they will NOT be able to add on the unlimited data package. They must choose from the new data plans.

Anyone who sets up new service with unlimited data, upgrades from a feature phone to a smart phone with unlimited data, or customer currently on the $29.99 before July, 7, 2011 will be grandfathered in.

These changes also apply to employee plans as well (personal accounts w/work discounts applied)

SO, This is a huge time for us to set our customers up with the right package for them! We only have 14 DAYS remaining for unlimited data, and until the new data pricing takes effect. (14 days to setup new customers w/unlimited data, and customers upgrading from a feature phone to a smart phone)

PLEASE, PLEASE make sure we take advantage of this heads up and get our heavy data users set up on these unlimited plans before they change.

Last edited:

sethun

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I have unlimited data, pay 29.99 a month for it, but I have an old alltel smartpak data plan. If I choose to upgrade after 7/7 will I be able to keep my plan/unlimited data? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Super_Mario

Banned
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I really need clarification whether employee discounts for the data are going away for people who already have them.

They will be removed and only available on the tiered plans. of 50.00 or higher as listed on the OP's post.

?BUSINESS DISCOUNTS- After 7/7/2011 data discounts will only apply to the $50 and higher data packages on the primary line.

surfmly29

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
Any thoughts on this situation... couldn't find in a couple searches:

I have Blackberry currently. It has the $44.99/mo unlimited plan. It is listed as the 'Blackberry unlimited data' on my bill. However, we all know that this is just the $29.99 data plan with the $15 corp email 'add-on' (total is $44.99).

I plan to move to Android phone on 7/15, when I am eligible for new phone discount. Since this is after the 7/7 cut off I need to confirm that leaving my unlimited BB data plan as is will be grandfathered over to an Android phone. I asked VZW and got a verbal 'yes it will be' but I could tell that the guys were not 100% sure (I went into a store and when asked the guy asked another guy and they gave a less than reasuring 'yes' answer).

So wondering if other folks have gotten answers on this as well so I can try and feel better about it. The other option will be to switch my data plan from BB unlimited down to 29.99 unlimited (without corp email) on 7/6 and just plan to go without corp email on my phone for about a week until the 15th. Would rather not do that, but I will if I can't get in writing that I'll be grandfathered in automatically.

Thanks.

mtva24#WN

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Same question as the above poster... does it matter what data plan you have? For example, I have a Blackberry Storm (horrible phone). My bill says "blackberry data plan". If I switch over to Android, does that mean that I would have to switch data plans before 7/7, or are they all under one category (4G included)?

MisterObvious#AC

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Any thoughts on this situation... couldn't find in a couple searches:

I have Blackberry currently. It has the $44.99/mo unlimited plan. It is listed as the 'Blackberry unlimited data' on my bill. However, we all know that this is just the $29.99 data plan with the $15 corp email 'add-on' (total is $44.99).

I plan to move to Android phone on 7/15, when I am eligible for new phone discount. Since this is after the 7/7 cut off I need to confirm that leaving my unlimited BB data plan as is will be grandfathered over to an Android phone. I asked VZW and got a verbal 'yes it will be' but I could tell that the guys were not 100% sure (I went into a store and when asked the guy asked another guy and they gave a less than reasuring 'yes' answer).

So wondering if other folks have gotten answers on this as well so I can try and feel better about it. The other option will be to switch my data plan from BB unlimited down to 29.99 unlimited (without corp email) on 7/6 and just plan to go without corp email on my phone for about a week until the 15th. Would rather not do that, but I will if I can't get in writing that I'll be grandfathered in automatically.

Thanks.
I don't know if it would. You could get a cheap smartphone also and just use that for temporary means if the answer is no, but assuming your data is unlimited now, I would think you would be okay. You may wanna call CS and see if you can upgrade a little earlier than 7/15 just to be safe.

Same question as the above poster... does it matter what data plan you have? For example, I have a Blackberry Storm (horrible phone). My bill says "blackberry data plan". If I switch over to Android, does that mean that I would have to switch data plans before 7/7, or are they all under one category (4G included)?

No you're fine. As long as it's a current $29.99 plan it's gonna stay, iPhone, Android, or BB.

thomed

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
How about 3g data card with unlimited? Free upgrade doesn't hit until July 13. Should I just pay full price for card and save free upgrade for bionic or whatever comes out next?

tato

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
This still hasn't been officially announced right?
Do they have to announce or will the new rules just come unto effect of the 7th, if all this is true?

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Do they have to announce or will the new rules just come unto effect of the 7th, if all this is true?

Its happening. Verizon employees are training as we speak

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

loyolacs

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
So I currently have an HTC incredible with unlimited plan that i bought from amazon in January. As per Amazon TOS, i have to keep that phone active on a line until July 13th (180 days). After that, i plan to get a thunderbolt using the upgrade on a new line for my daughter (transferring her upgrade since she is using an old phone with no data plan). Since i will be switching from 3G to LTE, will i still be grandfathered in to unlimited?

Super_Mario

Banned
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
So I currently have an HTC incredible with unlimited plan that i bought from amazon in January. As per Amazon TOS, i have to keep that phone active on a line until July 13th (180 days). After that, i plan to get a thunderbolt using the upgrade on a new line for my daughter (transferring her upgrade since she is using an old phone with no data plan). Since i will be switching from 3G to LTE, will i still be grandfathered in to unlimited?

Yes you will. As long as it's on your line since your daughter's line has no data.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Question:

Right now I have a Charge that I just got. I'm considering returning it and using a Thunderbolt month to month until the Bionic comes out. Would I be able to keep unlimited? I've heard very mixed things.

Super_Mario

Banned
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Sweet tap dancing Jesus! If you have Unlimited right now, you will keep it. Unless you drop the Unlimited Smartphone plan it will stay on the line.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if it would. You could get a cheap smartphone also and just use that for temporary means if the answer is no, but assuming your data is unlimited now, I would think you would be okay. You may wanna call CS and see if you can upgrade a little earlier than 7/15 just to be safe.

No you're fine. As long as it's a current $29.99 plan it's gonna stay, iPhone, Android, or BB.

The part I bolded is a little misleading. I have a family plan with 5 lines with 3 lines currently on smartphones. We got in on the unlimited data promo last Nov/Dec, which essentially gives you a $20 discount per line if you put the $29.99 data package on it. But to take advantage of it, all lines on the family plan had to have the unlimited data package on them. So we did.

I asked Verizon CS, after the tiered data was announced, if when the 2 lines with dumbphones upgrade to smartphones would they be able to keep unlimited data. I was told that the only way data plans are grandfathered is if they have a smartphone on the line prior to 7/7/11. Otherwise they will move to a tiered data plan. We still get the discount on all lines, but those two currently with dumbphones will have a 2GB cap.

cheburashka

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
looked @ 12.02 am

...aaaaaaaaaand it happened. :-$:-$:-$:-$:-$

so Sprint is now the ONLY 'true' unlimited wireless data carrier. (i know, TMO doesnt charge but throttles down when the cap is reached - so "kinda" unlimited but not)

Last edited: