Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default [How-To] Install a custom (and good!) ROM on the gTablet

You probably heard that the gTablet shipping firmware was, well, crap comes to mind. Not that I want TapnTap to give up, because if they could speed things up, it would be a great OS for a inexpensive family tablet "computer". So good luck fellas.

Enough of that, let's hack this thing.

Root
    You can root (and unroot) the gTab with z4root from the market. If all you want is root, just do it. The app is safe, the developer is trustworthy, and it's easy. What's not to love?

Flashing a custom ROM
    Next, go to tegratab.com and download a full backup of the shipping software. It's just as easy to go back to the beginning as it is to flash a custom ROM. Keep this file safe, on your computer for when you need it. This is the software out of the box. When you install it, you'll get an update, which is good, because v1 just plain doesn't work.

If you want to skip the update, grab a copy of the updated ROM here at XDA and use it as your backup. I would do this, but if you want the complete stock-from-the-box setup look above.

Got the backups? Good. Next you'll want a custom ROM. You have two ways to go here, I'm going to cover the easy one for now. We'll tackle the other methods elsewhere. The stock recovery image will flash anything you tell it to. That's a good thing indeed. Roebeet over at XDA has worked up a very nice custom ROM, that really does this thing justice. No more goofy, slow GUI, Google Apps all included, rooted with everything you need to customize the gtab. Download it right here.

Flashing it is a breeze. Plug your gtab into your computer, and mount the internal SD storage. We're not going to fool with an external SD card for this, so don't use one. If you do, make sure you are doing this all on the internal storage. Unzip the contents of the ROM zipfile into the root directory on the gtab's storage. There's two items -- "update.zip" and a folder named "Recovery". Drop them right on the card. Safely unmount from your computer, and power the gtab down.

Next, you'll boot back into recovery. This is easy, too. Press and hold the + volume button, then press and hold the power button. When you see the back screen that says ANDROID in gold letters, let go of both. When it finishes and reboots, you're done flashing. Told you it was easy, +1 for unlocked hardware. This is the procedure to flash any ROM with the stock recovery. Place the update.zip and recovery folder on your card, and boot to recovery.

Skip through the setup when it boots. You'll have to set up WiFi before you can set up your Google info. Go ahead and set up WiFi, then open GMail to be prompted to sign in. Go ahead and do that, then give your GMail some time to sync. Next head over to the developer of Titanium Backup's site and download the latest free version. Do this right from your gtab, and install it. Even if you have no plans to use it, you need it to fix the Market.

Open the Market, and hate what you see. But still download any app you can find, we're going to fix that after you're sure the Market works as-is. Once done, back out of the Market and open Titanium backup. If you see (and you will) a pop up for the Superuser app, allow it. Click the Backup/Restore tab in Ti Backup. Scroll through the list until you see Google Services Framework 2.2 in red text. Click on it, and select to wipe data, then close Ti Backup. Open the Market again, you're wanting to see the white screen with the error message again. If you don't, open settings and kill the market process, then do the Ti Backup trick again.

Reboot, enjoy the full Market.

Two last tricks
    Plug your gtab into your computer, and mount the storage. You have to do this first.
    Go to getjar.com from the gtab browser and download the Angry Birds apk. You know you want this. When it's done downloading, and while the gtab storage is still mounted to the computer, click to install it.
    Safely unmount your gtab, play angry birds perfectly.

Back to XDA, and download the Flash 10.1 apk for the folio. It's a .rar file, so extract in on your computer and copy it over to the gtab. Use the included estrongs file explorer to find it, and install it.
    Reboot, enjoy Adobe Flash, in the stock gTab browser.

As you can see, the credit for all these individual fixes goes to roebeet from XDA and tegratab.com. Be sure to thank him when you next see him.
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리
    Thanked by 12:
    + Show/Hide list of the thanked
    puertorico2k likes this.

Global Posts
    582 Global Posts

HOLY MOTHER!!! I think I want the gTab now!

So this will give it the stock Android UI, right? Because that really is what turns me off of this thing, the horrible UI they installed. I thought touchwiz was bad on my Fascinate, but yeesh.

Global Posts
    1,596 Global Posts
    ROM
    Teamhacksung's ICS

I was convinced that this was useless when I read the review, but seeing how easy it is to fix might change my mind.

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts

Can you elaborate on the Galaxy S remount lag fix?
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by 3pod View Post
    Can you elaborate on the Galaxy S remount lag fix?
    It's not easy, and not something most will want to do by hand. Hopefully once the rest of the hardware gets proper support, if it's still needed someone will step up with a permanent way of doing it.

What you do is partition off a portion of the internal storage with a couple ext4 partitions. You'll need Linux to do this. Then you mount the /data/data/ directory tree to one of them, and the dalvik-cache to the other. It's a much, much faster file system. Might be able to do this in the boot image, but it can be done by hand if you feel like it. Beware that it won't stick, and if you reboot you will have serious issues with installed apps. And like the Galaxy S, it's not a good long term solution.
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리
    Thanked by:
    3pod 
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,549 Global Posts
    ROM
    Ice Cream Sandwich

Wow, the modding community comes through again!

Adding this to my wish list for christmas
    Some say the glass is half empty. Some say its half full. I say, "Are you going to drink that?"

Wow this is great! How does the tablet perform compared to the Galaxy Tab after all these fixes are performed? Can a keyboard still be connected etc? Also any youtube videos demonstrating this process you have detailed or videos demonstrating the performance of the tablet after these modifications? Thanks!

Default Makes a great deal

I looked at many different tablet options and was a little concerned about the software issues I read on here about the G Tablet. After weighing my options I figured I would give it a go due to the great hardware and look of it. ! got the G Tablet and a protective case/sleeve from sears for about $380 and a mail in rebate for a free dock.

The initial software is as bad/slow as everyone has mentioned. However, within 5 minutes I had downloaded and installed the custom ROM from this forum, fixed the Android Market, and installed the new Flash 10.1.

Now I am loving this Tablet! It runs extremely fast, runs flash (which iPad obviously won't) and plays games/videos perfectly. Haven't had a chance to do a lot with others apps but so far it is a great deal for everything being under $400 out the door.

My only knock on the unit is that it does seem a little heavy after holding it for a while (it is thicker & heavier than iPad) not bad though. And the viewing angles are not great. It has to be tilted right to get a crisp/sharp view.

Very happy so far and looking forward to updates and exploring more. Thanks for your help with getting this thing up and running properly.
    Thanked by 2:

after spending some time completing the UI transformation on this, it made it so much better and user friendly but the viewing angle is so bad on this thing that it has to be returned to Sears. I think i have to eat the 15% restocking fee though. If the screen was better this thing would be phenomenal. I guess I could bring up the fact that it doesnt do as advertised to avoid the 15%??

I am new to flashing and can not get it to work...I unzipped the gtab_tnt_lite_v2.02_suppl.zip and copied to the gTablet. Upon reboot (holding the buttons) it looks like it is flashing but the old tap-n-tap version loads. Any ideas...

Here are the steps i've taken.

1. plug in USB...
    2. Turn on USB storage and tap OK.
    3. On Win7 i see g drive with folders....andriod_secure, Android, DCIM and Lost.DIR
    4. copied recovery folder and update.zip file. (update folder has one file, command.
    5. On Win7m disconnect drive.6. tap Turn off USB storage on gTablet.
    6. remove cable.
    7. Power off gtablet.
    8. Hold volume + while turning on power.
    9. Hold both buttons until "andriod" appears then release...
    10. I saw Booting recovery process before I released the keys.
    11. Next a bot with Arrow...
    12. then Tap-N-Tap logo
    13. normal Home screen displayed.

Anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Unhappy Unable to root my gTablet.

I followed the directions but after reboot (which looks like its flashing) Tap-n-Tap still boots up. When coping the files to the gTablet do I remove any?
    Recovery folder has command file in it before reboot and is empty afterward.
    Update.zip file seems unchanged.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

@tritter

You're going to have to flash TnT lite 2.0 first
    gtab_tnt_lite_v2.00.zip

Then flash the supplemental build after
    gtab_tnt_lite_v2.02_suppl.zip

The file you're trying to flash isn;t really a full ROM, just some fixes that go on top of the TnT lite ROM. Your flashing procedure is right (having a log file in the recovery folder afterwards means it did flash), just need to flash a different file.
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리

Global Posts
    277 Global Posts

I got the new rom flashed but when trying to do the market I get an error occured try again later and it shuts down. I am not sure where to go with this one from here?

Thanks

Smile Thanks!

Very clear and complete instructions that turned a pretty bogus machine into a powerhouse!
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Quote Originally Posted by jjenson View Post
    I got the new rom flashed but when trying to do the market I get an error occured try again later and it shuts down. I am not sure where to go with this one from here?

Thanks
    Make sure your timezone, time, and date are set correctly. If so, and rebooting doesn't help, just reflash right over it.

The error message you're looking for is in the market app, on a blank white page, and the Market still works after the error. What your seeing is something different.
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리

TnT Lite 2.2.0 is now released too. It's not a supplement this time, but the full ROM. Fixes BT pairing and FC's on Settings apk. Quadrant scores are ridiculous.

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts

So...is it worth the money after the rooting?

Dunndw
    NRA/State certified handgun instructor
    Thanked by:

Default Browser Crash after New ROM

I put the new ROM on, followed all the instructions, installed flash, everything looks good, but when I try to browse the browser crashes when A page using flash tries to Load. Any Idea how to fix this?

Also did not Find Z4root in the Market. seems to have been removed, It is listed in ApBrain, but then is is not available when I click to Download.

Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    ROM
    Andromadus Mimicry

Quote Originally Posted by ddunn View Post
    So...is it worth the money after the rooting?

Dunndw
    NRA/State certified handgun instructor
    I think so. It's solid with good software.
    Thanked by:
    jsage 

ok im new to modding, can you link me a idiots guide to making my GTab worth keeping? as of right now it cant stand to even power it up. but everything i read tells me it has the potential to be the best tablet on the market right now. just seems VS needs to get on the ball software wise. i would like this tablet to operate just as my droid x does, and i was told it can.. thanks in advance

Default Nailed it...

Your post reads like "Mayhem" sounds in the Allstate Ins. commercials...

I've been lurking through all the xda forums, YouTube posts, etc. trying to piece together the exact process for this. This is the first, concrete, description detailed specifically for a noob I've found so far. Witty, too.

Hope other people like myself are able to find this. Thanks for posting it.

One question - what does the Clockwork recovery offer over the stock recovery?

Thanks again...

I just got this tablet and have never rooted any device before or updated a ROM. The instructions in this thread were the most straight forward and easy to do. And what a difference it makes on this device. I have also bricked the GTab already and reflashed it just as easy.

Kudos to the writer.

There is some great info in regards to the GTab over at DroidPirate.com also.

[QUOTE=g8rzz187;460131
    ...I've been lurking through all the xda forums, YouTube posts, etc. trying to piece together the exact process for this. This is the first, concrete, description detailed specifically for a noob I've found so far. Witty, too.

Hope other people like myself are able to find this. Thanks for posting it.

Thanks again...[/QUOTE]

I whole heartedly agree! The op needs to post this at xda in their gtab section.

Sent from my Xtremely Syndicate Epic using Tapatalk

I still can't get the market to work..nothing from google appears and none of my purchased apps are there.. followed the directions the letter.
    Possible Errors Between Keyboard And Chair.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast