Rooting The ViewSoinc G Tablet

gitit20

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Ok, lets say you just purchased your new ViewSonic 10.1″ G-Tablet and everything is stock on the device. (Crappy home application, can’t access the market, etc, etc. Just wait don’t return it yet!!!!)

Step 1. Download Z4Root v1.2.2 from below.
LINK HAS BEEN UPDATED 03/01/2011 (To everyone that was having a problem the file is a .zip extension you must extract the file using Winzip, WinRAR or 7-Zip, the file you extract should be *z4root.1.2.2.apk*, just copy that file to the root of your SD-Card)

Step 2. Connect your G-Tablet to your PC via USB

Step 3. Click on your notification icon on your G-Tablet. Click on “USB Connected” and make sure you turn on USB Mass storage. Wait a few seconds for your PC to recognize your storage device. Copy the z4root.1.2.2.apk to the Root of your SD-Card.

Step 4. Unmount your SD-Card from your PC or just unplug the USB connected to the computer and your device.

Step 5. The G-Tablet comes stock with a application called “ES File Explorer” (Thank God! or this would be a lot harder). Open that application and navigate to the root of your SD-Card if it does not take you there by default.

Step 6. In the ES File Explorer app click on the z4root application you placed on your SD-Card.
Next Click on “Install”
Your z4root application should now be installed you can either click on “Open” after it is done installing or navigate to your app drawer and select the z4root app.

Step 7. Now that you are in the z4root application just click on the button that says “Root” give it a few minutes to apply everything, next it should Reboot your device and you should now have Root access on your G-Tablet.

Post a comment if you are having problems rooting your ViewSonic 10.1″ G-Tablet I will be happy to assist.

Download Links: http://droidpiratefiles.com/gtablet/z4root.1.2.2.zip

Last edited:

gitit20

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Or install Vegan or TNTLite, which is about the same number of steps?

Yes but both of them rom's have bugs and certain things dont work right this way you just have a nice clean stock install of froyo for your tablet now i sure will install honeycomb on it when a rom comes for it but until then i am happy with this for now...

I have removed the stock apps i did not want installed all the google stuff and all that is now installed and it does not have the phone app looking for a signal all the time being a power vampire...

I just wanted a simple easy to follow rooting instructions for people who just want to take control of there tablets Market fix and flash fix i was able to find here in this forum i may put it all in here so that people dont have to do hours of searching :)

I vote sticky...

Visual360

Dec 9, 2010
www.visual360photography.com
thanks for the info. So are you saying that using this method will give me a clean os with market access? Or is this just rooting the device, but not really flashing? if this is to get the tablet in stock Froyo with market access, then ill definitely going to use this method.

thanks in advance, I can't wait to get my Gtab to try this.

Tyler Durden

May 14, 2010
Visit site
thanks for the info. So are you saying that using this method will give me a clean os with market access? Or is this just rooting the device, but not really flashing? if this is to get the tablet in stock Froyo with market access, then ill definitely going to use this method.

thanks in advance, I can't wait to get my Gtab to try this.

My G Tab gets here tomorrow!

I'm also curious...
you now have stock Froyo with Market access and all the Google apps?

gitit20

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Rooting it is the start after you root it you need to use a program like uninstaller pro to remove the tap n tap program there is a fix you can do to get market and flash up and running I am putting together a guide for that as well just working way to many hours to get it done now but hopeing with in a couple days...

aweber1nj

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm desperately waiting for them to port Honeycomb. The few posts on the xda site indicate that it's a long way off, which surprised the heck out of me.

j3r3myc0x

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Gitit20 - Thanks for the guide and the link. I'm expecting my Gtab any day now and can't wait to tweak on it.

I'd love to see a full fledged guide to rooting (like this) plus guides to fixing the Market+Flash and possibly even flashing ROMs stickied to the Viewsonic G Tablet forum home page.

Kathy Hills

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
I followed these instructions, rooted and installed TNT Lite.

Now I get continuous error messages every minute or so:

Sorry! The process android.process.acore has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again Force Close

I have tried going to recovery, but it just stops.

I have tried updating the driver (to NVFlash) but it does not recognize the digital signature.

Any ideas how to fix this or just take off z4root altogether and put on nvflash????

Any help would be greatly appreciated!