Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Setting up hotspot with only 3g?

UPDATE: VM did not have my account as hotspot enabled, though originally confirmed as such. No more issue.

I need to use my Virgin Mobile HTC EVO 4G phone as a hotspot on my 1 hour bus commute, which takes me through areas without 4g (which is at least 1/2 of the commute, in and out of 4g coverage several times). I just received it and am trying to set it up as a hotspot at home as a test with only 3g coverage (no 4g coverage at the house). Most of the setup goes smoothly until I actually activate it, upon which time error 67 pops up (Data Call Failure) even though I've been using it to access the web via 3g with decent EVDO A signal strength (-75 db). Turning off 4G doesn't change the outcome.

My laptop can see the phone's SSID and can temporarily connect, though once the error 67 pops up, the wifi connection is dropped. I can't even successfully connect the laptop through the phone when the phone is using my home wifi.

Is there any way I can configure this phone to operate as a hotspot using 3g only?
    Last edited by Will Stewart; 12-20-2012 at 12:28 PM. Reason: update

Default Re: Setting up hotspot with only 3g?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Stewart View Post
    UPDATE: VM did not have my account as hotspot enabled, though originally confirmed as such. No more issue.

I need to use my Virgin Mobile HTC EVO 4G phone as a hotspot on my 1 hour bus commute, which takes me through areas without 4g (which is at least 1/2 of the commute, in and out of 4g coverage several times). I just received it and am trying to set it up as a hotspot at home as a test with only 3g coverage (no 4g coverage at the house). Most of the setup goes smoothly until I actually activate it, upon which time error 67 pops up (Data Call Failure) even though I've been using it to access the web via 3g with decent EVDO A signal strength (-75 db). Turning off 4G doesn't change the outcome.

My laptop can see the phone's SSID and can temporarily connect, though once the error 67 pops up, the wifi connection is dropped. I can't even successfully connect the laptop through the phone when the phone is using my home wifi.

Is there any way I can configure this phone to operate as a hotspot using 3g only?
    I was told no matter what app you use it doesn't work. I had the same problem but was also told if i wanted to get it working i would need to be rooted