[ROM][Team Hydro] Gelato 11-28 For Virgin Mobile Optimus Slider

TheWineLover

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
Ok, so I'm at a crossroads. I originally had this ROM on my VM701. Because it was getting slow as hell and the battery wasn't lasting NEARLY as long, I went over to Area 51 and downloaded their AreaRomQ2.0. Was told in that thread it was fine to install for the Optimus Slider. So, I went through their battery of instructions including updating to GingerKernel and partitioning the SD card. HATED the ROM. Ugly colors and the menu button on my Slider no longer functioned. Decided to re-ROM with Mobster 1.4 and it just led me to a black screen that was backlit so I knew it was on. Went through the process yet AGAIN and reinstalled Gelato since was working before. Now, I'm stuck in a ruckus boot loop at the "android" logo. It will flash twice and then sit there and do it over and over until I yank out the battery. It never fully boots properly.

I know my phone is fine as I can install the Rooted Deodexed base ROM just fine. So, I'm really between a rock and a hard place. I'm not a novice as I've done this 100 times if I've done it once... I just can't seem to figure this MF out! "Help me, Obiwon, HELP ME!" :)

danieljc1

Sith Lord
Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so I'm at a crossroads. I originally had this ROM on my VM701. Because it was getting slow as hell and the battery wasn't lasting NEARLY as long, I went over to Area 51 and downloaded their AreaRomQ2.0. Was told in that thread it was fine to install for the Optimus Slider. So, I went through their battery of instructions including updating to GingerKernel and partitioning the SD card. HATED the ROM. Ugly colors and the menu button on my Slider no longer functioned. Decided to re-ROM with Mobster 1.4 and it just led me to a black screen that was backlit so I knew it was on. Went through the process yet AGAIN and reinstalled Gelato since was working before. Now, I'm stuck in a ruckus boot loop at the "android" logo. It will flash twice and then sit there and do it over and over until I yank out the battery. It never fully boots properly.

I know my phone is fine as I can install the Rooted Deodexed base ROM just fine. So, I'm really between a rock and a hard place. I'm not a novice as I've done this 100 times if I've done it once... I just can't seem to figure this MF out! "Help me, Obiwon, HELP ME!" :)

Try installing stock ROM or your nandroid backup.

John You

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
After installing this ROM, I noticed that the dir /system/app became read only even to "su"! I can not rename a file there.
I wonder why? How can I make it writable again?
Thanks for any help!

redspeed99

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Not sure what happened to my phone. I have the VM optimus slider, and flashed a rom for the optimus q instead by mistake. The rom seemed to work ok besides the fact that the home and menu buttons were swapped. However, I found when I plugged the usb cable into the phone it went on a reboot loop.

So, I tried to flash this rom with the gb kernel reccomended but it wont get past the android loading screen. It plays the animation, but then flashes twice and restarts again.

I no longer have my cwm backup so I dont know what to do...

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like you might not have wiped properly before flashing. Just a guess.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

Scatmanbrandt

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Necroposting FTW.
Anyways, I'd like to say I've been using this rom for a while and I've really enjoyed it but there is one problem that reared it's ugly head within the last month; error 498 and invalid package files. I only get this error while using this rom and even tried it after a wipe with no change. I'm currently using the stock rom and having no issues, apps that wouldn't update or download are now downloading properly, but the features I've come to love are all missing. Is anyone else having this issue and come up with a fix?

Scatmanbrandt

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
I tried it, wasn't a big fan of it and the last time I tried flashing to it to attempt to fix it it got stuck in a bootloop. The differences I noticed between these two when I compared them several months ago is Gelato somehow frees up alot of system memory allowing more apps to be installed and just in general seems to be more stable. I can't think of much else right off-hand because I just woke up. . .

xiontaz

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
the gelato rom boots up even after wiping data factory/ and dalvik, some others like the mobster u have to just flash without deleting those for it to boot. anyways how does that error happen, ill intall on my phone and see what steps I can take. may not be the most useful person but ill give it a go.

Sent from my LG-VM701 using Android Central Forums

e48324

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
I have a rooted Virgin Mobile Optimus Slider with baseband version VM701ZV4. I want to partition my 32 Gb SD card since I don't have enough internal memory space on my phone. Do I need to flash a different ROM other than what I currently have to use Link2SD? And if so, will Gelato 11-28 work on my phone with Link2SD?
If this will not work please provide any possible suggestions that will allow me to use my memory card. It is beyond me that I am out of memory with a 32 Gb card in my phone.

javapop

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
I'm running the same baseband, and running Gelato 11-28. Haven't figured the partition trick yet, please update if ya do. I am running Link2SD; but when I try to change the default install location I get error "killed" I move most apps to SD card, and average about 30-40 MB free space.

e48324

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm running the same baseband, and running Gelato 11-28. Haven't figured the partition trick yet, please update if ya do. I am running Link2SD; but when I try to change the default install location I get error "killed" I move most apps to SD card, and average about 30-40 MB free space.
Good to know. Thanks! I'll let you know about the partition if I find anything.

jccjr1982

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Re: [ROM][Team Hydro] Gelato 11-28 For Virgin Mobile Optimus Slid

Please help, I followed the instructions on Rooting and installing custom recovery. Got that done with no issues, then I placed the ROM and GingerKernel on my SD card to flash. Wiped everything, flashed ROM + Kernel, and upon reboot it showed the Android bootanimation, but the word "Android" would flash 2x, and the light that goes across it would stop also for a second, then it repeats, the phone never boots.

Having this exact same issue. Stuck on "Android" screen, and flashes randomly. What is the deal?

I am having such bad luck with this phone and custom ROMs. The Optimus V was so much more fun!

SpecV85

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I just wanted to make sure I did this correctly since this is the first time I've done this. (I wanted to try a ROM because I often experience severe slowdown problems.) I previously had my phone rooted, but I followed the directions from the [How-To] to install Custom Recovery and create a NANDroid backup. I put both the Ginger Kernel and Gelato zips in the root directory. Then in recovery mode I didn't see anything that explicitly said FLASH, so I chose the "Install from ZIP" option with Ginger Kernel first and Gelato second. I rebooted it. It took maybe a minute, but it booted with the word android flashing and then there was a new status bar up at the top. I was concerned that I didn't use Ginger Kernel properly. Sorry if this has been asked before, but thanks for all of the hard work put into this. Especially since you devs don't seem to even own the phone. :)

javapop

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
has anyone noticed a loss of 3G Data over the past couple of weeks? I'm using Gelato ROM on a GF plan, Optimus Slider. Been having 3G issues for a couple of weeks, and been on VM support over a dozen times. Wondering if this older ROM has somehow been support to an upgrade that renders it's 3G data connectivity flakey. Anyone else?

misstoxic

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
Necroposting FTW.
Anyways, I'd like to say I've been using this rom for a while and I've really enjoyed it but there is one problem that reared it's ugly head within the last month; error 498 and invalid package files. I only get this error while using this rom and even tried it after a wipe with no change. I'm currently using the stock rom and having no issues, apps that wouldn't update or download are now downloading properly, but the features I've come to love are all missing. Is anyone else having this issue and come up with a fix?

I have the same issue. It's so impossible to fix this issue because I tried to clear cache and data and it's still the same thing. I checked storage info in link2sd and it says "cache (4% free)" So I went back to stock rom and checked again and it says "cache (98% free)" Something is wrong with this rom. Could someone fix this issue? I give up

misstoxic

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
I have the same issue. It's so impossible to fix this issue because I tried to clear cache and data and it's still the same thing. I checked storage info in link2sd and it says "cache (4% free)" So I went back to stock rom and checked again and it says "cache (98% free)" Something is wrong with this rom. Could someone fix this issue? I give up

I fixed this issue. Go to link2sd and press the menu button. Tap "more" then tap "link dalvik-cache files" then you can download apps

johnisabeastyboi

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Hey, is this ROM still available? I know it's old, but my brother wanted a mp3 player and I gave him the optimus slider and it still had my stuff on it. He factory reset it but it had a custom rom installed so it deleted the system files and I don't have any backups because i'm using the SD card that was in it in my phone currently. So the phone is kind of bricked atm but I can still get into recovery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34