[ROM][Team Hydro] Gelato 11-28 For Virgin Mobile Optimus Slider
A GB ROM based off LG's code for the Virgin Mobile Optimus Slider, presented by KSmithInNY and Team Hydro
- To use a custom ROM you must have rooted your phone and installed a custom recovery. A ROM thread is not the place to discuss rooting or applying a recovery. Please take any questions pertaining to root/recovery to the appropriate thread. Thanks in advance for keeping the community clean.
- This is a development thread, please ensure anything you post is development related.
- Please before posting any questions, out of respect for the work that's occurred, my time, and my sanity, read the entirety of this post and post #2, and as much of the thread as possible. Thanks for your cooperation.
- Myself and Team Hydro are not responsible for your phone, your sd card, thermonuclear war, or anything else.
I do not personally own this device. I have limited access to this phone. I made this ROM for my girlfriend and to allow it to be a springboard for upcomming Team Hydro work for this device.
Gelato 11-28 *All users need to wipe cache and dalvik cache before flashing* fixed bluetooth pairing added reboot and reboot recovery to power menu - jstntp and Drew Gelato 11-24 HAPPY THANKSGIVING! *Only users from 11-13 build, or new users need to wipe cache and dalvik cache before flashing* removed a verizon file from framework (#WTFLG) removed privacy from settings menu to prevent accidental bricks - jstntp and myself added crt screen off animation Gelato 11-23 *Only users from 11-13 build, or new users need to wipe cache and dalvik cache before flashing* code cleanup on notification toggles power down animation has been themed to look stock(ish) - jstntp and myself removed download all files () removed Virgin Mobile downloads () removed Virgin Mobile Live () Gelato 11-21 *Only users from 11-13 build, or new users need to wipe cache and dalvik cache before flashing* improved GPS lock time added Google DNS servers uses stock android boot animation now power control notification toggles - Thanks jstntp from team hydro Gelato build date shows in "about phone" menu Gelato 11-20 *Only users from 11-13 build, or new users need to wipe cache and dalvik cache before flashing* Fixed activation app by moving back to /system removed flash all apk's in /system and /data get zipaligned on boot Gelato 11-19 *Only users from 11-13 build, or new users need to wipe cache and dalvik cache before flashing* **I cannot list all the changes made due to patience and time** reduced min freq back to 196MHz forced launcher into memory raised jpg quality decreased dial out delay battery saving changes disabled USB debugging notification in status bar improved touchscreen responsiveness improved photo and video recording quality 3g signal tweaks net speed tweaks internet speed tweak misc kernel tweaks Gelato 11-17 *Please wipe cache and dalvik cache before flashing* moved dalvik cache to /cache upped dalvik heap to 48 upped max events to 150 upped min freq to 320MHz Updated and moved back to /system: youtube Gelato 11-13 Built from VM701ZV4 () Deodexed Zipaligned Superuser Busybox + run parts Nano Bash OGG Optimized 100% Battery mod Wifi supplicant upped to 60 VM adjusted Adobe Flash 10.2 Governor set to ondemand SD card r/w speed tweak Min free memory adjusted Muted boot sound Muted power down sound Any file type can be downloaded App widget picker - Thanks () Updated and moved back to /system: Market Maps Gmail Youtube Deleted from /system: Twitter () Facebook () Poynt () SCVNGR () Air G Chat () Moved to /data for easy removal: VM Activate VM Downloads VM My account VM Live
- and place it on the root of your SD card
- I highly suggest you also download Ginger kernel for use with this ROM.
- Boot into your custom recovery
- ALWAYS MAKE A BACKUP BEFORE YOU EVER FLASH ANYTHING
- Please wipe cache and dalvik cache (in advanced menu) prior to flashing. There is no need to wipe data/factory
- Wiping cache and dalvik cache does not impact user data, apps, texts or anything else
- Flash ROM
- If you downloaded Ginger kernel, flash that after the ROM.
STOP AND READ THE MESSAGE BELOW!I have spent many many hours over the past few years donating my time and energy to the Android hacking community. I am humbly asking the community to give back to something that's important to me. Please consider making any size donation to the
Myself, Team Hydro, and all the bulldogs that will benefit from my Android addiction THANK YOU!
STOP AND READ THE MESSAGE ABOVE!
- My girlfriend for letting me use her phone to do this and dealing with my Android addiction
- Team Hydro
- Every person donates to the
Note to Developers: This is not provided for you to use as a base for your work. This was created by myself and team hydro, for our work. If would like to build your own ROM I have provided a clean base for you to start with which can be found HERE but please, out of respect for the work that's gone into this both in development and in support, don't use this as your base. Thanks.
Last edited by KSmithInNY; 12-05-2011 at 04:06 PM.
Known issues specific to this ROM, caused by by this ROM:
Issue - Stock power control widget will be missing icons when added to screen.
Cause - This is a known issue with app widget picker and GB. Because app widget picker is so valuable, and a sustainable workaround exists, nothing will be done regarding this bug unless boombuler updates his source.
workaround - add the stock power widget to where you want it. Go into to settings and toggle wifi on then off or vice versa. Fixed.
Issue - Activate app doesnt function
Cause - This app cannot function unless in /system
Fixed - 11-20 build.
Q - I don't get it, why Gelato?
A - That you'd have to ask LG. Every device is given a model #, a general name by which the public knows it, and a code name by which it's referred to internally by the manufacturer. This device, in the order listed above, is known as VM701, LG Optimus Slider, Gelato. You see, Gelato is the internal code name for this device given to it by LG.
Q - ZOMG this is my first time flashing and it's stuck at the LG logo!!!!!!
A - The first time you flash this ROM, you need to wipe cache and dalvik cache. This does not impact apps, texts, emails or anything else. There is no need to wipe data/factory.
Because the dalvik cache needs to rebuild on that first boot, you need to be patient. It will sit at the LG screen for a couple minutes, then do the boot animation, then sit at the virgin logo a couple minutes. Patience is a virtue.
Q - This ROM looks stock, what's changed?
A - Well for starters, the change log is in the first post which covers what's changed. Regarding it's look, my goal is actually to keep this stock as stock looking as possible and only add performance and function. I will only go with something that's not stock when necessary such as the 100% battery indicator because stock Android does not have these images. Even when i must change the look of something, like the battery, i will attempt to make it look as if it was built straight from android source code.
Once the ROM is stable and the development cycle slows, Team Hydro will be bringing their much loved custom themes to this ROM (example of previous, original work). I will link to them when that time comes. Also, this ROM is deodexed so anyone can create a custom theme right now, although please note it might be a PITA with some of the changes we have coming up. Feel free to make a theme and post the flashable zip in your own thread so everyone can enjoy, and you can receive the proper credit/thanks!!
Q - How do i do tethering?
A - Until someone (not it) figures out how to enable native AP tethering, see below:
download and install that apk, Open it up, press menu, settings, change device profile, then select Optimus S. Once you launch tethering you'll get a message about updating your device profile, click cancel to the profile message.
Q - I can haz overclocked kernel?
A - Nope, you sure can't. 800MHz is the highest this CPU can run and stay stable.
The good News is Drewwalton19216801 has released a highly optimized kernel for his phone. I will not be adding his kernel to this ROM because I think you should download it from Drew's post so you can thank and donate to him. [KERNEL][GB] GingerKernel v07.1 (NOW FOR THE OPTIMUS SLIDER!)
Q - Will you be including a data2ext and subsequently a cache2ext mod?
A - No, absolutely not. In all my experience, these mods cause more trouble that what they are worth. Just because i won't include them doesn't mean you can't figure it out via google but I do ask that if you go that route, please do not ask for assistance, of any kind, until you've undone the mod. I won't ask you to clean up my mess, and I ask the same in return from the community. Thanks!
Right now I'm working on trying to adjust it to a happy medium where users can experience good performance while still saving battery. Keep in mind, LG pays a team of developers, likely 6 figures each, to work on their android open source division. I fix their mistakes in my free time, for a phone i don't even own, and my work is provided free of charge hoping someone will buy me a coffee.
Reporting an issue:
PLEASE DO NOT REPORT GENEREAL ANDROID/SPRINT/VIRGIN MOBILE/GB/LG BUGS.
- If you are running a custom kernel do not report the issue until you have gone back to the kernel provided with the ROM, and can duplicate the issue.
- If you are running a task killer/battery saver/app smasher etc etc.... do not report the issue until you have removed the task killer, rebooted your phone, and can duplicate the issue.
- If you are having an issue with any app that you download from the market or any other source, please do not report the issue. There is a very good chance this has little or nothing to do with the ROM and everything to do with that specific app. You should check to see if others on similar ROMs are having an issue with that app. Check to see if the app dev has a bugs list. check to see if the app is compatible with your version of Android. Email the app dev to see if they are aware. Uninstall and reinstall the app. etc... etc... etc...
- If you are not on the newest version of the ROM AND did not do a full wipe prior to flashing, do not report an issue until you have done so.
- Do not use this thread as your personal help forum. I understand you may have questions about things that are unrelated to the ROM but you want them answered quick so you post them in here. These types of questions will be moved out of the thread, which requires us to manually intervene, please save us the time. You will notice that the same people who are active in this thread are active in every Optimus thread. Post your question outside of this thread, in the general area for assistance.
EG: How do I mount or unmount my SD card when i connect to a PC? This is a legitimate question, but has nothing to do with the ROM.
- Duplicate the issue. If you don't know how it happened or how to do it again, neither do I lol
- Have you rebooted your phone and after reboot can duplicate the issue? If not please do.
- Post very detailed instructions on how to duplicate the issue, for example:
-Click Menu > Settings > Display
-Un-check "Auto Rotate Screen" then the phone punches me in the face
Last edited by KSmithInNY; 11-21-2011 at 05:01 PM.
- 11-13-2011, 12:37 AM #3
- 11-13-2011, 05:35 AM #4
- 11-13-2011, 06:32 AM #5
- 11-13-2011, 08:38 AM #6
- 11-13-2011, 12:23 PM #8
- 11-13-2011, 01:28 PM #9
- 11-13-2011, 02:14 PM #10
- 11-13-2011, 03:23 PM #11
- 11-14-2011, 09:09 AM #12
- 11-14-2011, 03:50 PM #13
- 11-14-2011, 10:31 PM #14
- 11-14-2011, 11:54 PM #15
- 11-15-2011, 09:03 AM #16
Re: [ROM][Team Hydro] LG VM701_Gelato 11-13
I'll try a change in the next build to see if it helps at all with lag. I can't test. My GF is getting sick of me using her phone so I might be flying blind from here on out
- 11-15-2011, 11:12 AM #18
Re: [ROM][Team Hydro] LG VM701_Gelato 11-13
THIS IS A BETA, No need to wipe. Download it, make a backup, and flash. No warranty/guarantee.
- Upped min freq - Need someone to confirm what min freq is set after booting it.
- Updated youtube, moved to /system to free up space
- Added power control notification widgets thanks to team hydro developer jstntp
Link Removed - Status bar FC's
Last edited by KSmithInNY; 11-15-2011 at 12:56 PM.
- 11-15-2011, 12:29 PM #21
Re: [ROM][Team Hydro] LG VM701_Gelato 11-13
but when I had the Optimus V The interface was very smooth and apps loaded much more quickly then they do on the slider.
thank you for confirming that this is an issue with the kernel and not the build or the phone itself.
will you possibly be able to compile a new kernel that will allow the UI to be a bit more smooth?
If you need a tester I am more then willing to be of service.
I would really like to see this phone operate as well if not better then the V currently does.
Re: [ROM][Team Hydro] LG VM701_Gelato 11-13
Overclocking the Optimus Slider
If he can get interactive working the phone will be in better shape at least because of the jump up and slow scale down. We'll see.
- 11-15-2011, 12:45 PM #23