[MOD][ROOT REQ] Personalizing name in notification drop down

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Your phone must be rooted to do this. A custom recovery or custom ROM is not necessary.

Here are the instructions for editing what the carrier name in your notification drop down displays. Prior to editing it says "Virgin Mobile". This mod is fun, takes 1 minute, requires absolutely no prior knowledge, and adds that personal touch to make your phone a little more yours. These instructions are written using the app Root explorer. Other apps can edit /system as well so if you use one of those, the instructions may be slightly different but the concept the same.

1) You need a file explorer that has the ability to edit /system. One of my favorite apps for android, which has this ability, is Root explorer. There are free alternatives available but Root explorer is the original, and IMHO, well worth the $4.
NOTE: I am in no way affiliated with Root explorer and make no proceeds from it's sale. It is just a really well polished explorer.
2) Open root explorer and when prompted for super user access, click always allow.
3) Scroll down to /system and click it
4) If you are running a custom ROM, /system may already be mounted as r/w. You can tell by looking in the upper right hand corner of the screen.
  • If the button says "r/o" you are already mounted and can move to the next step
  • If the button says "r/w" tap it once to mount the system as r/w. It should change to "r/o"
5) long pres on the file build.prop. When the menu pops up, scroll down and select open in text editor.
6) Scroll down about half of the files length and find this line (Make sure it's the exact same line, there are a couple of very similar lines)
ro.cdma.home.operator.alpha=Virgin Mobile
7) Edit the line to say what you want, for example "My Girls Phone". I am not sure if there are any special character limitations, nor length limitations, but I'd say use your best judgement.
8) After editing the line, press the menu button on the bottom of your phone and hit save and exit
9) Reboot your phone which will build a new property file with your edit in it.

Enjoy!!!! Feel free to post screenies if you're especially proud of your new message. Mine is below as an example.

P.S. This does not change the carrier name on the lock screen. Thats a different edit, to a different file, and for a different time :p

EDIT - If your curious about my battery indicator from the pic, that mod is included with the Gelato ROM

snap20111119_170332.png

Last edited:

tylermich7

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
hey how did you get your battery on your status bar to be just the number and the thin battery next to it? thats what ive been looking to try to do for a long time now. lol

tylermich7

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
alright thanks, i only posted on here because i wasnt sure if adminstrators got pms. im slightly new to using the forums. but thanks. but also, i have the gingerkernal installed, can i just flash the rom straight to my phone or am i going to have to wipe or clear anything before i do.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
alright thanks, i only posted on here because i wasnt sure if adminstrators got pms. im slightly new to using the forums. but thanks. but also, i have the gingerkernal installed, can i just flash the rom straight to my phone or am i going to have to wipe or clear anything before i do.

wipe cache and dalvik cache (dalvik cache can be found in advanced menu of recovery), no need to wipe factory/data. Flash the ROM first, then the kernel. If you just flash the ROM, you will be back on the stock kernel which is what's included with the ROM.

lizards4444

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Works, thanks a lot, but I would love to change the font, would you happen to know which font file it is?

From my thumbs to your screen courtesy of tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol