[MOD] [ROOT] How to change system lcd density.

tylermich7

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
You can have any density number, i just used 147 because thats what i prefer.

Your phone must be rooted to do this. A custom recovery or custom ROM is not necessary.

Here are the instructions for changing your screen density. This essentially makes more room on your screen but has the potential to negatively impact select apps. These instructions are written using the app Root explorer. Other apps can edit /system as well so if you use one of those, the instructions may be slightly different but the concept the same.

1) You need a file explorer that has the ability to edit /system. One of my favorite apps for android, which has this ability, is Root explorer. There are free alternatives available but Root explorer is the original, and IMHO, well worth the $4.
NOTE: I am in no way affiliated with Root explorer and make no proceeds from it's sale. It is just a really well polished explorer.
2) Open root explorer and when prompted for super user access, click always allow.
3) Scroll down to /system and click it
4) If you are running a custom ROM, /system may already be mounted as r/w. You can tell by looking in the upper right hand corner of the screen.
If the button says "r/o" you are already mounted and can move to the next step
If the button says "r/w" tap it once to mount the system as r/w. It should change to "r/o"
5) long pres on the file build.prop. When the menu pops up, scroll down and select open in text editor.
6) Scroll down to the bottom of the file and add the following line
ro.sf.lcd_density=147
IMPORTANT Make sure there is at least 1 blank line under the new line you just inserted.
7) After editing the line, press the menu button on the bottom of your phone and hit save and exit
8) Reboot your phone which will build a new property file with your edit in it.

To return to stock density you can simply delete the line and reboot.

KSmithInNY for the assist.

Last edited:

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Re: [REQUEST] system lcd density change (:

I was wondering if you could implement a density change for the entire system to 147 on drews rom.

Drews ROM? KP's ROM with Drews kernel!

I thought there was an app available which would do this for you but none-the-less ....

Follow these instructions except rather than do steps 6 and 7, you'd insert the line below.

ro.sf.lcd_density=147

Once added, continue with the rest of the steps.

tylermich7

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site

well there is an app, but its just a pain in the butt to have to do it everytime the phone reboots. lol

WAIT, where do I insert it? lol

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site

so i can just scroll all the way down to the bottom and just insert it directly under the last line and it shouldnt cause any issues with my phone during reboot or anything?

Nope, just make sure theres at least 1 blank line under neath it if thats where you want to put it. Reboot for it to take effect.

Reactions: tylermich7

tylermich7

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site

worked like a charm THANKS! now no longer will i have to change the desity after reboots and reboot again just to get the desity change, lol huge time saver.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
worked like a charm THANKS! now no longer will i have to change the desity after reboots and reboot again just to get the desity change, lol huge time saver.

No problemo. Probably goes without saying but adjusting screen density can impact some applications compatibility.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site

Why don't you edit the first post by adding the instructions, edit the title of the thread by clicking edit on the post, then go advanced and change the post title, and turn this into a teaching thread so others with the same question can find it easily? As my payment, a simple thanks at the bottom of the OP is all i ask ;)

Here I'll make it easier. Copy and paste below, add the html for the bold, insert hyper link yadda yadda ...

Make the post/thread title something obvious and informative like [MOD][ROOT REQ] How to adjust LCD density

Your phone must be rooted to do this. A custom recovery or custom ROM is not necessary.

Here are the instructions for changing your screen density. This essentially makes more room on your screen but has the potential to negatively impact select apps. These instructions are written using the app Root explorer. Other apps can edit /system as well so if you use one of those, the instructions may be slightly different but the concept the same.

1) You need a file explorer that has the ability to edit /system. One of my favorite apps for android, which has this ability, is Root explorer. There are free alternatives available but Root explorer is the original, and IMHO, well worth the $4.
NOTE: I am in no way affiliated with Root explorer and make no proceeds from it's sale. It is just a really well polished explorer.
2) Open root explorer and when prompted for super user access, click always allow.
3) Scroll down to /system and click it
4) If you are running a custom ROM, /system may already be mounted as r/w. You can tell by looking in the upper right hand corner of the screen.
  • If the button says "r/o" you are already mounted and can move to the next step
  • If the button says "r/w" tap it once to mount the system as r/w. It should change to "r/o"
5) long pres on the file build.prop. When the menu pops up, scroll down and select open in text editor.
6) Scroll down to the bottom of the file and add the following line
ro.sf.lcd_density=147
IMPORTANT Make sure there is at least 1 blank line under the new line you just inserted.
7) After editing the line, press the menu button on the bottom of your phone and hit save and exit
8) Reboot your phone which will build a new property file with your edit in it.

To return to stock density you can simply delete the line and reboot.

KSmithInNY for the assist.

Last edited:

tylermich7

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site

yeah i noticed, but just mainly from the apps from the market which say my phone isnt compatible, but the way around that is to just go download a third party app that you wanted thru 4 shared or something similar. works fine.

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Guys I got an Problem here.
I rooted my Phone i.e Qmobile Z4 yesterday and I installed SuperSu for Granting. Later I installed Pimp my Rom and changed the Density without backing up rom. How to I return to my Stock ROM. Please help :)

friscoforlife

Jun 7, 2016
Visit site

Nope, just make sure theres at least 1 blank line under neath it if thats where you want to put it. Reboot for it to take effect.

I have lg optimus My screen icons are so huge that I cant go anywhere. I try to go to my file explorer icon but i can't. Anything else I can do so I can make changed to my lcd density.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kinmo