Straight Talk Optimus Q Custom Rom

ryanthurman92

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
This phone works on the same gelato board and the optimus slider and the lg enlighten from verizon wireliess. Is there gonna be any good mods, developement for this phone? I'm just curious if I should just go ahead and start on a custom rom and kernel by myself. I know that team hydro has a base for the rom and I've found a kernel that works on the phone. Its from the optimus slider. Only issue with that is that it turns options into home and home into options. Please respond if you are working on developing for this phone. If not I'm gonna go ahead and attempt it myself. Thank you all ahead of time. I'm looking into ICS themed 2.3.7 update.

Last edited:

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
This phone works on the same gelato board and the optimus slider and the lg enlighten from verizon wireliess. Is there gonna be any good mods, developement for this phone? I'm just curious if I should just go ahead and start on a custom rom and kernel by myself. I know that team alpha has a base for the rom and I've found a kernel that works on the phone. Its from the optimus slider. Only issue with that is that it turns options into home and home into options. Please respond if you are working on developing for this phone. If not I'm gonna go ahead and attempt it myself. Thank you all ahead of time. I'm looking into ICS themed 2.3.7 update.

Don't use the Optimus Slider kernel in the Optimus Q, that is just asking for problems. They are totally different devices.

I'm not trying to discourage you from making a ROM, but please use the kernel meant for the Q. Once I find sources for the Optimus Q kernel I will port GingerKernel to it properly.

jondevere

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
And its Team Hydro. And both roms are developed by Team Hydro on AC. I say go for developing a rom. Couldn't hurt

Sent from my Ice Cream Nexus

ryanthurman92

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Nothing is going wrong with the kernel so far. My device is running more smoothly with it.there isn't much different with the devoces. 2.3.4 gelato qwerty keyboard same processer same almost everything. Just as my nephew is running a rom from optimus v on his optimus s. Only thing different was his phone has the options and home button messed up

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Nothing is going wrong with the kernel so far. My device is running more smoothly with it.there isn't much different with the devoces. 2.3.4 gelato qwerty keyboard same processer same almost everything. Just as my nephew is running a rom from optimus v on his optimus s. Only thing different was his phone has the options and home button messed up

You'll need to fix the home and menu buttons in the keylayout file. And if you DO release it with a custom Optimus Slider kernel, make sure to link to the source code as required by the GPL.

jondevere

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Optimus S and Optimus V are identical devices, the Q and the Slider are cousins or step siblings... Thats like comparing apples and oranges. But if it works for you then heck, who am I to say that you cant use it.

ryanthurman92

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Optimus S and Optimus V are identical devices, the Q and the Slider are cousins or step siblings... Thats like comparing apples and oranges. But if it works for you then heck, who am I to say that you cant use it.

Al least not identical. The home and menu key are switched around.
Idk everything. But I'm going to attempt using both as bases.. unless I get a job soon. Lol.

konvic21

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Where do I find the rom you have, i cant find any stalkon or hellicious roms anywhere

please im dying to get flash player to work on this optimus q

ryanthurman92

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Anyone who wants the STalkon rom need just PM me. its SU binary is updated, has flash player has a custom boot custom shutdown custom icons removed bloatware has busy box prerooted custom lockscreen and other features.

Reactions: konvic21

jcole20

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I just didn't like all the changes the dude made to the framework-res.apk... outside of that it was pretty interesting. It appears to be completely deodexed... I'd restore the icons (eg status bar etc. to stock and remove the ugly blue top bar from the different windows.) It was just too chaotic for me... though I really did enjoy the extra options on power press. Flash didn't work for me with the rom... maybe it will for someone else, but I always try to test flash with flash videos online and it just never works.

Uh, I can't figure out how the rom has new sounds on startup and shut down. Those sounds are usually in /system/sounds/ ... on this rom its not... Ive been going through the rom trying to figure out how the dude changed the shut down animation. I enjoy having the rom to look through because the creator did do a very good job. I'm going to wait until payday and buy titanium backup and work on reimplementing certain apps and removing those apps he added. This rom could be a great base as ryanthurman was mentioning and is working on. Area51 is also working on a rom that should be released soon. I'm not sure what build is the base for it, whether its stock or Hydro... This is a fairly interesting rom... I'll probably go through and replace all the crap in framework-res.apk with stock though. I just cant get over the ugly icons... outside fo that it really impressed me.

Edit: heh, you got me intrigued so I ignorantly tried the easy way out and replaced the drawable-mdpi files from the stalkon rom (in systemui and framework-res) with the ones from my current rom that ive themed... that allowed me to boot but the status bar forced closed and it repeatedly boot looped into the os but would kick me right back out... eh, looks like it has to be changed the harder way. Wish this comp had windows 7 so i could tile the windows easier....

Edit (2): It took 2 hours but I'm done with the framework-res.apk ... this is crazy.

Edit (3): My framework-res.apk fixed the quick menu icons, but he apparently scripted certain animations (eg the download animations) so the market continously failed... with the stock STalkon rom you have ADB Root which you don't get with any other currently available rom. It;s fun playing with this rom, but I don't see any real advantage to it. I just can't stand these added icons... :/ I'm tired of messing with it. I'll give themeing it a shot but I don't see it making too much of a difference.

Last edited:

jcole20

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Okay so I spent roughly 8-10 hours modifying the STalkon rom and I think I finally have it to an acceptable point ;) . I themed it to my theme posted here on the forum. I also removed all of the preinstalled apps he added. I've also done what i thought would be impossible, and restored all of the system icons back to stock with the exception of the status bar which I themed myself. I actually enjoy the stalkon rom now because I have full adb root.... (just an ego thing). If anyones interested in it (namely Ryan Thurman or others) pm me all I can provide is a NANDroid backup because I don't know a whole lot about update scripts, and I'm beyond tired of messing with this rom.. lol

konvic21

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
awesome, i'd like to have a copy, the stalkom rom got the flash to work for me but its a bit slow..im wondering if you overclocked ur optimus q or is it slow for you too? cuz i ma wanna overclock too

and i did find the icons a bit crappier than the stock. but overall it was wway better than than the hydro

jcole20

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I uploaded it... if you know anything about editing .apk's maybe take a look at the SystemUI.apk and compare it to the stock .apk. It's ridiculous how much the creator did to the SystemUI.apk and framework-res.apk. He also edited what looks like the mail.apk, browser.apk, settings.apk, and many more. It was a pain to revert those back to normal... i cheated with a few of the apps and just copied the entire .apk over and replaced it. You can't do that with everything but with the browser.apk and settings.apk, it shouldn't be a problem.

Like I said you're welcome to try out my modified stalkon rom, I just advise you to make a backup prior to installing it. Also, wipe your /system partition before installing it. Go into mounts in cwm and format the /system partition (along with cache and dalvik cache).

new2smartfonz

Feb 13, 2012
Visit site
To ryanthurman92 and jondevere: Since you both sound like you know your way around a developer's desk, here's my situation and I'd really appreciate your addressing it with what you think can be done. I bought a Str Talk Opt Q on eBay. Seller gave IMEI number and said she couldn't activate. Before buying I called ST who said that the inactive status would just be changed (I was already a ST user and knew my zip code could be ok for the Opt Q), the phone was new and yes could be activated. I bought and recvd the phone and called to activate and, lo and behold, ST tells me it CANNOT be as it still shows as in WM inventory, could be taken back to store with register receipt...BUT tho that might have worked for the original buyer, I bought it down the chain a couple steps. So I am on this forum to see if anyone can "unlock" or "flash" or something so that this phone can be used on maybe Virgin Mobile if ST cannot. It's a nice phone AND I hate losing the money. I've read a few threads about rooting and flashing and it sounds like somebody will surely know how to "unlock" or turn this phone into one that can be used on another system, at least. Tho I originally wanted ST, now VM is my preference as I already have a phone on that one and know the plans. Can you respond with what you think can be done? Thanks ahead of time.

jcole20

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Okay, that phones designed to operate on the sprint network. sprint will not activate a phone that doesn't come from them directly. The only thing I personally know of that you can do is highly illegal and you wont get those steps here.

new2smartfonz

Feb 13, 2012
Visit site
Yes, it's designed to be a Straight Talk phone (working on the Sprint network), supposedly originally in WalMart stock is what the ST people finally told me-I wish they'd told me that when I first called them before I put out the money on eBay. Local WalMart doesn't even sell them, so only way for me to get such phone (tho I'm in reasonably good Sprint coverage area) is from eBay or Straight Talk online. Anyway, if the fix is illegal and that's the ONLY fix, then I guess I've just bought a paperweight. Can't even sell it to someone who knows phone things. Maybe someone else will know something else? I can hope.