Cyanogen Mod On LG Optimus Slider

jcole20

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I don't think you really grasp what you're talking about here. Say you get a cm7 distro compiled for the vm slider. You're going to have to be able to debug the distro... you're not going to get a perfect compile off the bat.

Since LGE does a horrible job with their source, you're going to need to be able to decompile their kernel's and .apk's, .jar's, etc. to pull lg specific code. The slider doesn't even have a 2.3.7 aosp yet (though aosp is harder than cm7)... Again I'm not trying to put anyone down, but if you dont understand the language used above you're not going to be able to port it. Also, if you dont realize you need to run linux or mac to build this.... (why that link was given above?) then you definitely wont be able to port this. I can tell you its more likely the Optimus Q will get it before the Slider (if either gets it). However, once the Q gets it, the slider will get it right after.

I'm in a really bad mood today so I'm sorry if I was rude above, its just this cant be compiled in windows, and that android sdk wont really help at all with it. Whoever takes on the task of compiling this for the Slider is going to have a slider, and will already know everything thats contained in that link...and will use the android sdk from a linux platform most likely.

jetteye

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I don't think you really grasp what you're talking about here. Say you get a cm7 distro compiled for the vm slider. You're going to have to be able to debug the distro... you're not going to get a perfect compile off the bat.

Since LGE does a horrible job with their source, you're going to need to be able to decompile their kernel's and .apk's, .jar's, etc. to pull lg specific code. The slider doesn't even have a 2.3.7 aosp yet (though aosp is harder than cm7)... Again I'm not trying to put anyone down, but if you dont understand the language used above you're not going to be able to port it. Also, if you dont realize you need to run linux or mac to build this.... (why that link was given above?) then you definitely wont be able to port this. I can tell you its more likely the Optimus Q will get it before the Slider (if either gets it). However, once the Q gets it, the slider will get it right after.

I'm in a really bad mood today so I'm sorry if I was rude above, its just this cant be compiled in windows, and that android sdk wont really help at all with it. Whoever takes on the task of compiling this for the Slider is going to have a slider, and will already know everything thats contained in that link...and will use the android sdk from a linux platform most likely.

I already have Motodev installed on Linux will that work, its been a while, since I have used eclipse, but I am good on that part, I think.. After reading some tutorials I am obviously going to need some help. Being able to program with Java, is not the end all to writing to a virgin board... It looks like a massive headache..

raymix1000

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site

You make a good point. I was just really excited to get started.

jcole20

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm working hard on trying to convince some friends to port CM7 to the L55C. What I'm about to say I am not positive of... I'm still learning quite a bit about the android os. Though I do have a lot of experience now decompiling and recompiling .apk's associated with the OS.

(I'm hoping... that once the L55C gets ported. The act of porting CM7 to the VM Slider will be as simple as switching out keymaps. It appears from posts on this board (outside of people attempting to port roms using a third party app) that the VM Slider and the Optimus Q (L55C) will run each others roms, though there is a small problem with keymapping (the home and menu keys are reversed). I do not have both devices so I cant test this, but if thats the only issue with having one run on the other, I can handle that change. No big deal. Unfortunately I have no way to test it I'm going by what I see on here from others. I'm really unsure about the validity of the above because it relies on the word of others. But even if it's a bit more involved than the above a CM7 compile would make things a hell of a lot easier if one of the two devices had one.)

Edit: Something that I'd like to see... Get the source from LG. Compile the source using their walkthrough, (basically you pull 2.3.4_r1 source from google servers (if the slider comes with gingerbread...idk it may come with froyo)) then merge the files they give you with the source from Google. Go through and correct the problems that are due to it being LG specific coding. (Really defeats the point of Open Source imo). If you get it to boot properly without hanging at the LG logo on startup and everything works. Merge your source with aosp 2.3.7 source. This would give you a gingerbread update. You'd also be running without CIQ id think. This would correct a few issues with the os itself, and should debloat your phone. Now... I do not know how VM works or if you update your minutes directly from the phone... if you do this brings in a whole new set of issues and the above may be very difficult to pull off.

Last edited:

estabien

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Edit: Something that I'd like to see... Get the source from LG. Compile the source using their walkthrough, (basically you pull 2.3.4_r1 source from google servers (if the slider comes with gingerbread...idk it may come with froyo)) then merge the files they give you with the source from Google. Go through and correct the problems that are due to it being LG specific coding. (Really defeats the point of Open Source imo). If you get it to boot properly without hanging at the LG logo on startup and everything works. Merge your source with aosp 2.3.7 source. This would give you a gingerbread update. You'd also be running without CIQ id think. This would correct a few issues with the os itself, and should debloat your phone. Now... I do not know how VM works or if you update your minutes directly from the phone... if you do this brings in a whole new set of issues and the above may be very difficult to pull off.
okay i know i'm really dumb, but could i have some links to the sources and such? i have ubuntu running on my computer now so i can do it.

raymix1000

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm gonna try to port it to the Q. The only issue is that LG hasn't released the source code for the Q (they have for the Slider though.....)

Sent from my thumbs to your retinas

In case you were wondering, the source code for the LG55C has been released.

jcole20

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
okay i know i'm really dumb, but could i have some links to the sources and such? i have ubuntu running on my computer now so i can do it.

Youre not dumb. The source is available by adding the google repository to your list of repositories in Ubuntu. (I'm not sure which version you're running but I really recommend doing this on 10.04LTS (long term support) or at the highest 10.10 (I really dont want to get into removal of Unity (11.04-11.10) which completely destroyed Ubuntu's usability imo). If you download the source for the VM701 or the L55C from LGE they'll have a set of links in the readme. Go there and begin to learn about compiling for android. It will take you to a google / android site that gives you the basics of setting up your build machine. (I really recommend using a 64bit distro if your computer can run it.) Good luck... the problem is LG uses code in our phones that is not part of the open source agreement. It's lge specific code so you have to decompile or tear apart parts of the distro to get that specific code for your device. It's a real pain to be honest. I'm not affluent enough with android to do so. Though I'd really love to learn more about it. I'm just trying to share with you a little of what I know. I can compile android source, but I don't think I can go as far as making a bootable distro for our devices. At least not at the moment. Though to be fair... I've only been on android for like 2 months now lol. I can help you out to the point of where my understanding ends. But I cant really go much beyond that. I'm with all of you in wanting CM7 ported. I sincerely wish I had gotten into programming younger. Though I'm working on trying to learn this side of it... I just really need a computer to build on. Android source runs about 11gb I believe. So you need about 25gb minimum to compile. In all reality you probably need to set aside a 100gb for building. Just a heads up. Android Area51 has taught me a TON about android in the short amount of time I've been a member over there. So I am really just relaying the knowledge I've learned on that side of the planet.

jcole20

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Well, work is going to start soon on a cm7 port the the optimus q, thanks to DroidHost over at AndroidArea51.com . Once a port is completed on the q, it will be quite easy to port it to the slider. :) I'm not trying to pull people away from this site, I love androidcentral, but supporting DroidHost in all this work will help make a port a lot more likely. Dudes already ported CM7 to the Samsung Galaxy Precedent and compiled aosp updates before (which are harder to pull off than a cm7 build usually). So I believe a port is very likely :) . If its ported to the q both the slider and the q will get cm7 I assure you. I can't wait.

LeoLawliet

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
The optimus v? I had that one..I bricked it tho...now I won't charge or go into recovery or boot it stays on the black lg sing-_-

How did you brick it? I may switch back since there are way more roms available and the battery life is pretty awesome compared to the Slider.

Sent from my LG-VM701 Gelato 11-28 via Tapatalk

djsteelix

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
How did you brick it? I may switch back since there are way more roms available and the battery life is pretty awesome compared to the Slider.

I remeber flashing rodimos rom and didn't boot up...then I tryed going into the recovery menu n it didn't want all it did was stay in the black lg logo -_-...yes battery life is better and the roms are faster...I recall asop rom was the fastes of all I tested...bobzhome is stable but a bit slow.

LeoLawliet

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I remeber flashing rodimos rom and didn't boot up...then I tryed going into the recovery menu n it didn't want all it did was stay in the black lg logo -_-...yes battery life is better and the roms are faster...I recall asop rom was the fastes of all I tested...bobzhome is stable but a bit slow.

I usually stick with MiRaGe, it has never failed me. Tried ICS on it, still nowhere near stable enough to use daily. Now the OV has different MIUI roms being ported to it thanks to Gannon, I have much more reasons to wanna switch back. Development for the Slider just isn't showing any progress whatsoever :(

CuriousNoob

Banned
Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
well shoot Ubuntu stopped showing up in my boot menu so um idk. is there anything that i can do on windows?

If Ubuntu stopped appearing, in Windows, there's a run.exe file that you can run to check the partitions. Ill look for it for you ;P

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

djsteelix

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I usually stick with MiRaGe, it has never failed me. Tried ICS on it, still nowhere near stable enough to use daily. Now the OV has different MIUI roms being ported to it thanks to Gannon, I have much more reasons to wanna switch back. Development for the Slider just isn't showing any progress whatsoever :(
Y
yes indeed no progress yet but we'll see later on plus I have to stick to this piece of lol...I messed up the wildfire s as well -_- hahahah

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz