Like Tree5Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #26  

Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    ROM
    AreaRomQ v2.0

Default Re: [Rom] [Team Hydro] LG Optimus Q Rom

*Edited*

I apologize to rookie407... he pointed out a great point in relation to the Hydro Build of the LG L55C. If you want to update su binaries install Busybox (look for Jrummy's tool). Install busybox and you're set. I was mistaken and I apologize for any back and forth insults that we spouted towards each other on here. We need as many developers for these phones as we can find. I've worked hard to develop a theme, but outside of that I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to the OS itself (though I'm rapidly learning). I want a clean thread... Sorry!
    Last edited by jcole20; 02-09-2012 at 12:03 PM.

Talking Re: [Rom] [Team Hydro] LG Optimus Q Rom

im not the most informed about the android software but i know i've been running this rom for the past month and i've had no issue with it so ever my battery lasts much longer with this rom build that jondevere modified ,but you guys reall yhave to give some people a break it's not a phone thats super high end and its probably never going to see an update. it's a stock rom thats has all the bloat taken out of it . much like modifiying a windows install by taking out the bloat software.the phone is limited in over clocking and it dont make sense to OC a phone like this when it pretty much is at it's limit. i love the phone but truely u can do only so much to it. also i posted something about the recovery and usb drivers about this phone a while back . and it was the exact directions i took to root and install the rom . i even included links .

Global Posts
    47 Global Posts

cleaned
    Last edited by rookie407; 02-10-2012 at 08:45 AM.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #29  

Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    ROM
    AreaRomQ v2.0

*Cleaned upppp*
    Last edited by jcole20; 02-10-2012 at 11:40 PM.

hey jcole20 i have a question i installed this rom then factory reset the phone and the zip was not on my sd card and now when i try installing it again it installs and stops at installation complete and thats it what should i do????
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #31  

Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    ROM
    AreaRomQ v2.0

Uh, can you walk me through the process you did again... from what I'm understanding you flashed the rom (from the .zip) prior to wiping data/factory reset. Meaning you flashed this rom on top of your current rom. Are you unable to reboot the phone? If so and you can boot into recovery, try going to "mounts and storage" in recovery, and then "mount USB storage". Once there drag the .zip onto the sd card from the computer and reflash it. Do the process in this order... Wipe Cache. Go to Advanced and Wipe Dalvik Cache. Then hit Back (third button from the left on the bottom (2nd from the right)). Go to install from zip from sdcard and install the Team Hydro rom (the .zip). When its done it should say Installation Complete. Reboot the phone after that (reboot system now)...and you're good. REMEMBER IF YOU HAVE CWM-BASED RECOVERY DO NOT FACTORY RESET/WIPE DATA FROM THE SETTINGS MENU IN THE PHONE. ALWAYS DO THAT WIPE FROM CWM RECOVERY (What you enter when you hold down the home button, the volume down button, and the power button from a phone off state.) Hope that helps! If it doesn't give me more of an explanation of what you did/went through.

yea i put the rom on my phone then i went into privacy and hit factory reset and i put the .zip on my sd card and tried applying the zip and it said complete and then i hit reboot now and it brought me back to recovery mode it does this over and over again

when i install the rom from the CWM-based recovery v5.0.2.7 menu it says this E:unknown volume for path [sdcard:tempupdate.zip] Ecant mount SDCARD:tempupdate.zip installation aborted
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #34  

Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    ROM
    AreaRomQ v2.0

I hate to tell you this but I believe you bricked your phone. If you can get into adb you might be able to push the rom onto your phone. But in all likelihood you bricked the phone. I'm sorry idk what to tell you.

Global Posts
    47 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by number1dad2009 View Post
    when i install the rom from the CWM-based recovery v5.0.2.7 menu it says this E:unknown volume for path [sdcard:tempupdate.zip] Ecant mount SDCARD:tempupdate.zip installation aborted
    sounds more like your sdcard is corrupted if you can get into recovery mode then its not bricked... try putting the rom on a diff sd card

before installing it go into recovery mode and do a factory reset (DO NOT DO THIS IN THE SETTINGS MENU)
    then go to advanced options and wipe delvick cache, after that go to mounts and storage and format boot, cache, data, and system nothing else! then try installing the rom!

hope this helps

I'm replying to the first post in this thread as you seem to be the guy who knows about this the most. First off, I'll say that I know virtually NOTHING, so even your directions need a little expanding for ME. "Backup current setup"--how? And "install .zip rom from sd card"--how and what is that?

Also the thread says a stock ROM has "Carrier IQ" embedded in it. I am guessing that might mean that if "carrier iq" were NOT in there, the phone could work on another carrier?

If the carrier iq does as I'm guessing, then maybe it can be erased. If it can be erased so that a Straight Talk phone can be used on Virgin Mobile network, and/or vice versa, then I'd be glad for info about how to do that from someone.

Here is the situation I have: I bought a Str Talk Opt Q on eBay. Seller gave IMEI number and said she couldn't activate. Before buying I called ST who said that the inactive status would just be changed (I was already a ST user and knew my zip code could be ok for the Opt Q), the phone was new and yes could be activated. I bought and recvd the phone and called to activate and, lo and behold, ST tells me it CANNOT be as it still shows as in WM inventory, could be taken back to store with register receipt...BUT tho that might have worked for the original buyer, I bought it down the chain a couple steps. So I am on this forum to see if anyone can "unlock" or "flash" or something so that this phone can be used on maybe Virgin Mobile if ST cannot. It's a nice phone AND I hate losing the money. After that, other things rooting does might be nice, but I cannot even get the phone ACTIVATED as it is.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #38  

Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    ROM
    AreaRomQ v2.0

Okay dude... carrier iq will not unlock your phone. I really wish I could help you, but your phone sounds like it wasn't activated at a register. (This means that it is stolen *usually*). Unfortunately, yes this phone would work on both boost and vm (theoretically)... as far as what you can do to activate the phone. I really don't know what to tell you. If the phone you have is stolen it's going to be very hard to do. I wish I could give you more answers, but the imei would need to be activated on a third party prepaid carrier that operates off the sprint network.

Yes, that's what the ST customer service person said AFTER I got it (tho before I bought it on eBay they'd said that the inactive status would just be changed). I asked if that meant it was stolen and they sounded like it more likely could just be an error at the cash register but it would need to be taken to WalMart with receipt to get it fixed. Obviously from eBay I don't have that WM receipt and can't get it. If ST hadn't told me that it was ok and its inactive status was a simple thing to change, I would never have bought it. Anyway, the "third party carrier operating off Sprint network" could probably BE Virgin Mobile, but what would I need to do to the phone so that they could activate it? I've read about iPhones being unlocked to operate on any carrier (either from factory or by a person), and I thought maybe this phone had that potential. I doubt VM will activate an IMEI that isn't its own (concluded because I inadvertently bought a Sprint Peel once, just assuming it was a VM Peel because that's all I'd ever heard of ). Just don't have a clue what I could do. But thanks for making a reply--I appreciate someone even thinking about this outloud with me.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #40  

Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    ROM
    AreaRomQ v2.0

Well I'm sorry man. Vm might do it idk I've never used vm before. Idk much about them. I wish I could tell you what to do. That really sucks. The phone is cdma so that's sprint or verizon... I would just think you'd have the best luck with sprint.

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jcole20 View Post
    Since it was taken down and the thread locked.. I decided I'd put it back up for those who still want it. (thanks to rookie407 for this) "You can update the su binaries if you install busybox (*VERIFIED*). It is snappier, and you will get a better battery life. You need to have ClockworkMod recovery installed to do this... This is a stock rom with a few changes to lighten it up. You will also have root access after installing this.

1) Make sure you boot into a custom recovery (you do this by powering off the phone. you then hold the home button, the volume down button on the volume rocker, and the power button simultaneously until it boots into your custom cwm recovery), backup your current setup to be safe.
    2) Wipe all data, clear cache, and clear delvik cache under advanced.
    3) Install the .zip rom from the sd card...
    Excellent thread and very helpful.
    As an android newbie may I ask a basic question?
    I have a rooted Optimus Q (LG l55c) phone on which I installed Titanium Backup.
    Is the backup created by the method you describe different than the backup Titanium backup makes?
    Thank you.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #42  

Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    ROM
    AreaRomQ v2.0

Yes without a doubt. This is actually a full Rom. Think of it like installing Windows/Mac OSX/Ubuntu (or whatever your flavor of linux is). *I want to note I did not create this rom, this is the work of Jondevere and LG* This is basically the stock rom thats been lightened up and made to be a starting point for rom developers or people who want to have a Stock Rom that runs better than the stock rom LG/ST/Net10 provides you with. Also you'll have root access with this Rom.

You need to have CWM custom recovery installed to flash this. Which to be quite honest, if you have an android device you SHOULD have. It's probably the most useful tool you can have on Android. The sticky at the top of this forum walks you through the install process. With Titanium Backup you're simply backing up the apps and accounts you have. With a custom recovery you're basically taking a snapshot of your phone, (you're backing up the Operating System, the apps, and all the settings in one file.) IF you were to take a picture of a room with a camera, then clean the room... a cwm backup/nandroid backup is basically like pushing a button and being able to restore that room to that EXACT same state. This useful tool has saved my ... behind... on many occasion. This Rom is one of the only roms available for the L55C at the moment. Though I'm a member of another forum Android Area51 that is working on developing many more for the device and has a v1.0 release ready at the moment. Good luck and remember to make regular backups of your device before you go flash crazy playing around.
    Thanked by:

Thank you so much for taking the time to help a newbie. Although I am quite knowledgeable with computers I am completely new to android.
    Thanks also for clarifying the Titanium backup question I had. I was under the impression it backed everything so this is most helpful to know.
    Another basic question: because it is so important I want to be sure I am getting to the right instruction set.
    The sticky at the top of this forum walks you through the install process.
    I am not certain I found the correct sticky. Would you be so kind as to give me its url?
    You need to have CWM custom recovery installed to flash this
    Where do I get cwm from?
    Thank you again.
    I should have added, I already have ROM manager installed and it has an option to "FlashClockworkModRecovery". Is that what I need to do first or is there a separate utility to install called FlashClockworkModRecovery? The only rom available in romManager's "FlashClockworkModRecovery" Is LG esteem. Is that the correct one even though I have a LG Optimus Q (lg L55C)?
    Last edited by android newbie 248; 02-28-2012 at 06:26 AM. Reason: added and corrected
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #44  

Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    ROM
    AreaRomQ v2.0

I'm glad you asked because Rom Manager is notorious for bricking peoples phones. Though it is a great tool for some phones, for others it does little more than turning your phone into a very expensive paper weight. [How-To] Root, Custom Recovery, NANDroid Backup ... <-- this is the thread you should be looking at. This is recovery, the recovery program we use for our phones is called ClockworkMod Recovery (CWM). If you already have the right drivers for your phone to be recognized...do not install the drivers in that thread. I am assuming you have given your phone Root access (Rooted your phone) and if so you have the correct drivers. I really recommend people use LG's website for their drivers for the L55C personally. The mobile update tool allows you to download your devices specific drivers. Though, this is most likely not applicable to you because I'm pretty sure you have working drivers at this point.

Android is a bit of a learning curve coming from a computer, but (while I dont know your proficiency with computers) it's not a huge learning curve. It may seem a bit overwhelming at first, but I'm sure you'll take to it quite quickly. Good luck if you need anymore help let me know.

Edit: You may notice that your phone says E:\ Bad Recovery or something of that sort when you boot into recovery following this. This is not an issue... you will still be able to take full advantage of custom recovery.

A few notes: From Recovery *Start with the phone turned off* (You enter recovery by holding volume down, the home button, and finally the power button (all 3 at the same time) until the phone boots into recovery.)
    Wipe Cache then go to "advanced" and wipe dalvik cache. After this go ahead and make a backup of your phone now before you do anything like flashing a rom. Once you do that, you can go ahead and flash the rom in here. Or another rom if you're so inclined.
    Last edited by jcole20; 02-28-2012 at 08:54 AM.

Thank you very much. You are a great help.
    On the [How-To] Root, Custom Recovery, NANDroid Backup ... generic page it says to

1) On your computer, download Flash_Image.zip.
    2) On your computer, Download VM701_recovery.img

Are these the correct files to use for the LG L55C?
    What do I do with "http://www.mediafire.com/?ftdiue6mbqcpfds" mentioned at the top of your thread?

Sorry for being so cautious. I want to avoid bricking my phone if I do not have to ...... ;-) Won't blame you if it happens.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #46  

Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    ROM
    AreaRomQ v2.0

Quote Originally Posted by android newbie 248 View Post
    Thank you very much. You are a great help.
    On the [How-To] Root, Custom Recovery, NANDroid Backup ... generic page it says to

1) On your computer, download Flash_Image.zip.
    2) On your computer, Download VM701_recovery.img

Are these the correct files to use for the LG L55C?
    What do I do with "http://www.mediafire.com/?ftdiue6mbqcpfds" mentioned at the top of your thread?

Sorry for being so cautious. I want to avoid bricking my phone if I do not have to ...... ;-) Won't blame you if it happens.
    Okay, I'm 99% sure the one on here is the one I used to install CWM on my phone. Though it's been a couple of months since I did so. Go here and install CWM following the directions listed:

As far as that mediafire link... download that .zip. Place the .zip on the root of your sd card... (basically just copy or cut and paste it to the sd card's main folder... eg if you sdcard is H:/ copy it to H:/ dont put it in a folder. Though you really could put it in a folder and then navigate to the folder from recovery we generally just tell people to put it on the root of the sd card.

I really do NOT blame you fro not wanting to brick your phone. I was very cautious with mine until recently, until I learned a lot more about the android os. Having cwm will alleviate a lot of your worries believe me . Once you get a custom recovery installed and you make a backup your phone is ALMOST brick proof...so you should be fine playing around after that.
    Thanked by:

OK so I have my phone rooted I have CWM recovery installed everything works great! When I tried to go to choose zip from sdcard and click on the rom you gave the link to it says it works and everything but when it reboots up it looks like it just set it .to factory settings. Did I do something wrong? Thanks in advanced

can this work on the slider?

Quote Originally Posted by jcole20 View Post
    Okay, I'm 99% sure the one on here is the one I used to install CWM on my phone. Though it's been a couple of months since I did so. Go here and install CWM following the directions listed:
    Hi jcole20
    I followed the instructions as directed in

and they worked perfectly in that I got no errors.
    At the end the phone rebooted and I got a screen with several lines of options. (How does one move up or down to select a different option?)

At the bottom of the screen was:
    CWM-based Recovery v5.0.2.7
    E:Bad Boot message
    "recovery

Not sure what to do, I click en the phone's Home button and the screen changed to show a hat icon.

I then clicked on Home again, and the screen with the options reappeared this time with "Power off" selected. I clicked on OK and the phone powered off.

Pressing down on the phone's Power button rebooted the phone and everything seemed normal.

So my questions are:
    1. what did I achieve by going through the steps on ? After rebooting everything looks just as it did before I did those steps.

2. Do I need to go through all these steps again every time I want to get back to that screen with the options or is there a shorter way?

3. How do I flash new roms should I want to?

4. Where do I find roms compatible with the LG L55C phone?

5. Can this phone handle android 4?

Thanks.
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #50  

Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    ROM
    AreaRomQ v2.0

Quote Originally Posted by android newbie 248 View Post
    Hi jcole20
    I followed the instructions as directed in

and they worked perfectly in that I got no errors.
    At the end the phone rebooted and I got a screen with several lines of options. (How does one move up or down to select a different option?)

At the bottom of the screen was:
    CWM-based Recovery v5.0.2.7
    E:Bad Boot message
    "recovery

Not sure what to do, I click en the phone's Home button and the screen changed to show a hat icon.

I then clicked on Home again, and the screen with the options reappeared this time with "Power off" selected. I clicked on OK and the phone powered off.

Pressing down on the phone's Power button rebooted the phone and everything seemed normal.

So my questions are:
    1. what did I achieve by going through the steps on ? After rebooting everything looks just as it did before I did those steps.

2. Do I need to go through all these steps again every time I want to get back to that screen with the options or is there a shorter way?

3. How do I flash new roms should I want to?

4. Where do I find roms compatible with the LG L55C phone?

5. Can this phone handle android 4?

Thanks.
    That Bad Boot Message is normal for our devices. Every Optimus Q with custom recovery has the same message. To answer your questions...

1) You gained the ability to backup/restore and flash custom roms.

2) All you need to do to get to recovery again is turn the phone off. Hold in the Volume Down Button on the Volume Rocker, The Home Button, And finally the power button until you reach recovery.

3) You copy the rom (it will be a .zip file) to the sd card on your phone. You then Wipe Cache/Dalvik Cache. Make a backup. Then Flash the .zip by going to Install zip from sdcard in recovery.

4) Here, and AndroidArea51.com are the only two sites I know of at the moment.

5) Eh, its debated but I'm really not sure. I doubt it, but who knows. Maybe?

************************************************************************************

To move up and down in recovery use your volume rocker. Select options with the Camera Button on the side. You have to fully press the camera button though. Good luck!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast