Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Optimus Slider portable Wi-Fi Hotspot won't turn on

When I try to turn on my LG Optimus Slider's Portable WiFi Hotspot (in quick settings) I get: Error Code 67, unable to establish wireless connection. Please select Update Profile... etc. I do that. Then I try to turn Portable Wi-Fi Hotspot on again and I get Error Code 67 again... an infinite loop. Has Virgin Mobile disabled this function? I want to use my phone as a hot spot just occasionally, and very briefly, so I can check things on the web using my android tablet.

Default Re: Optimus Slider portable Wi-Fi Hotspot won't turn on

Quote Originally Posted by JohannFu View Post
    When I try to turn on my LG Optimus Slider's Portable WiFi Hotspot (in quick settings) I get: Error Code 67, unable to establish wireless connection. Please select Update Profile... etc. I do that. Then I try to turn Portable Wi-Fi Hotspot on again and I get Error Code 67 again... an infinite loop. Has Virgin Mobile disabled this function? I want to use my phone as a hot spot just occasionally, and very briefly, so I can check things on the web using my android tablet.
    I have been using the ClockworkMod no root tether app, it works just fine. Only problem is after you use it for a while it limits your data unless you buy it.

ROM
    Stock

1. Go on Google Play
    2. Search WiFi Tether
    3. Download
    4.?????
    5. Profit!!

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by hezx View Post
    1. Go on Google Play
    2. Search WiFi Tether
    3. Download
    4.?????
    5. Profit!!
    But you have to be rooted first
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Many thanks jetteye! I will get this for my pc. However, what I need is wifi for my tablet, which does not have a USB port. My tablet is a Nook Color (the first version) with a card that turns it into an android tablet. Works great, but needs wifi.

ROM
    11-28/gingerkernel 7.1

I get that message when I try use the hotspot (im using what was posted on GELATTO ROM to tether) and I always hit dismiss like it says and it always works) *is talking to yew from my sliders internet ^.~*
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

When I hit Dismiss it puts me back in the circular loop again. Dismiss -> Error Code 67 -> Update Profile -> Portable Wi-Fi Hotspot -> Error 67

Maybe Virgin Mobile has disabled wireless wifi ability for the LG Optimus Slider (or for all their phones)?

ROM
    11-28/gingerkernel 7.1

hm are yew rooted and using GELATO? or just using your phono out of the box? that could be it to? but im sure others would know better then I though
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

My phone (Virigin Mobile Optimus Slider) is not rooted and I do not want to root it. (I don't want to void the warranty.)

ROM
    Stock

it only voids the warranty if you dont unroot it when you have to send it back... Just unroot it IF you have to send it back and nothing will be wrong...
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Can someone tell me if there is a wireless wifi hotspot app for my phone that does NOT require rooting the phone?

ROM
    Stock

not possible as to bypass the VM security thing you HAVE to have the admin powers that root gives you
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Thank you hedz. That's the definite answer I was looking for.

ROM
    Stock

Your welcome. Sorry for the mixed answers.

Virginmobile along with various other companies have disabled the wifi hotpsot function in android phones to save money in datacharges. At&t makes you buy a whole separate plan if you want to wifi tether.. Rooting your phone then avoids their limitations entirely but if you truly don't want to root there have been people reporting successful wifi tethering without being rooted by using a app called "Quick Settings" to pave their way to getting wifi teher.

Here's what you will need to do.
    1.) Download Quick Settings.
    2.) Download a non-root Wifi Tether app. (here's a free one)
    3.) Open QuickSettings and press menu -> Customize
    4.) Move the Wifi Hotspot up to be in the visible settings.
    5.) Turn it on and pray.
    6.) Open your non-root wifi tether app and do as you please.

Good luck, hope this helps and works for you.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Thank you dubbajohnny! I have read about that solution and it sounds good. But it requires a physical connection (a wire) between the phone and the object in question. In my case the object in question is a Nook Color that has been turned into an android tablet by means of a "Root my Nook Color" card (Root My Nook Color! | Official Website) as recommended by Rick Broida of Cnet. The wire (I guess that's what we man by the tether, a physical connection, not a wireless connection) connects to the phone at one end and to my Nook at the other end. That end (the Nook end) is a full-sized USB connector. My Nook does NOT have a full-sized USB port. All it has it that very small port that you use when charging it.

Can't you just tether with FoxFi, without root? I am tethering right now with it, and although I'm rooted it's never asked for superuser permissions.

Data disappears temporarily, there's a notification that pops up that I dismiss, but it works.
    Galaxy S5 | LG Volt | Galaxy Note Pro | Nexus 7 | Tegra Shield

Quote Originally Posted by primetechv2 View Post
    Can't you just tether with FoxFi, without root? I am tethering right now with it, and although I'm rooted it's never asked for superuser permissions.

Data disappears temporarily, there's a notification that pops up that I dismiss, but it works.
    VirginMobile limits what your android phone can and can't do before you buy it. They disabled the feature but it should work if he turns on hotspot by a 3rd party app.

It works for you because your phone is rooted.
    Last edited by dubbajohnny; 04-06-2012 at 05:15 PM.

Thank you dubbajohnny! I have read about that solution and it sounds good. But it requires a physical connection (a wire) between the phone and the object in question. In my case the object in question is a Nook Color that has been turned into an android tablet by means of a "Root my Nook Color" card (Root My Nook Color! | Official Website) as recommended by Rick Broida of Cnet. The wire (I guess that's what we man by the tether, a physical connection, not a wireless connection) connects to the phone at one end and to my Nook at the other end. That end (the Nook end) is a full-sized USB connector. My Nook does NOT have a full-sized USB port. All it has it that very small port that you use when charging it.
    I'm a bit buzzed right now so bare with me here..

I think I got the gist of what you're saying but With the tether app I recommended for you it should allow your phone to become a mobile wifi hotspot. If that one doesn't work for you then search for another non-root wifi tetther/hotspot app.

Although the USB connection is a possibility to tether, it is not mandatory?
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

I am confused. I thought "tether" means you have to have a physical wire that connects the phone to the other device (laptop, tablet, etc)?

ROM
    Stock

Tether = wire/wireless
    Hotspot = only wireless

Dude please listen to me, unless you want to pay you HAVE to root your phone to get the free tether. All tethering will do to your network is slow down when you hit the 2.5Gb limit.

It will NOT disable your network just slow you down to I think 1XG speeds.

But I have already answered you and these people are just repeating what I said just sending you to links that are useless.

Quote Originally Posted by hezx View Post
    Tether = wire/wireless
    Hotspot = only wireless

Dude please listen to me, unless you want to pay you HAVE to root your phone to get the free tether. All tethering will do to your network is slow down when you hit the 2.5Gb limit.

It will NOT disable your network just slow you down to I think 1XG speeds.

But I have already answered you and these people are just repeating what I said just sending you to links that are useless.
    So rooting prevents data from being reduced when you hit the 2.5gb limit? Or are you recommending that he purchases their spendy broadband2go equipment along with their ridiculous data charges which also slows down at the 2.5gb limit if you get unlimited?
    Last edited by dubbajohnny; 04-09-2012 at 04:20 PM.

I am confused. I thought "tether" means you have to have a physical wire that connects the phone to the other device (laptop, tablet, etc)?
    Sorry Sir, it's all the same in my head. :P The app I provided you does not require a cable connection. Merely wifi connectivity.

Anyone tried foxfi on this phone? Infrastructure mode, no root required. Sprint already put a block on it in the market for sprint users but VM might not have.
    [CENTER][URL="https://plus.google.com/u/0/+KPSmith/posts"]Follow me on Google +

Quote Originally Posted by KSmithInNY View Post
    Anyone tried foxfi on this phone? Infrastructure mode, no root required. Sprint already put a block on it in the market for sprint users but VM might not have.
    Bueller ... Bueller? Anyone tried foxfi for AP tethering yet? No root required. Really curious if this is the answer for folks who need infrastructure tethering but don't root.
    [CENTER][URL="https://plus.google.com/u/0/+KPSmith/posts"]Follow me on Google +