My VM Headache

qrab

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
VM deactivated my account without warning a few days ago and I have yet to get my service restored. Here's the timeline. I hope it's not too wordy, and I hope you'll all read it with great interest.

26 June: Paid monthly 25$ plan via Paypal -- I had previously been paying via debit card and decided to set up automatic payment via Paypal for convenience

30 June: Tried to make a call, but got forwarded to VM customer service. They said my payment had been returned so I'd need to make a new payment to restore service. No biggie. I was driving home from work so I told them I'd call back when I arrived at home to resolve the issue.

I checked my Paypal account, and sure enough, they'd returned the payment. Turns out they'd inexplicably attempted to pull funds from a bank account I haven't used in a year. I thought I'd already removed it. So it was a legitimate return.

After this I called VM back to make a payment. They said I'd need to contact my bank (Paypal) to have them reissue payment, or I could go buy a Top-up card and pay that way. (FYI my online account had been deactivated at this point, and my MEID was returning a "we don't recognize that number" message, so my only option was to handle this by phone). Fine. I had to visit four stores in order to find the (evidently) very last VM card available in my town. Not to mention I was carting my 8 month old daughter around with me.

Back home, I called VM again with my Top-up card.

This time, they said my account had been referred to their FRAUD department and provided me an email address where I could send the Top-up pin. Okay, fine, I did that. They said call back in an hour and we'll take care of you.

I waited 90 minutes (generous, no?), then called back.

"Okay, so you've sent the email. Hold while I check your account." [Hold Music] "Oh, the fraud department is closed for the evening. So is finance. You'll have to call back in the morning."

I argued momentarily on the basis of what I'd been told earlier, but got nowhere.

01 July: I called back an hour after they opened. From this point forward, assume on every call that I have to explain the whole situation to them again. Also, assume that I am told I'll need to contact Paypal (or Paple, as they like to pronounce it). And, also assume that I am told I'll need to email my information to their fraud department.

I'm told that it will be 24 to 72 hours, but I can rest assured that my service will definitely be restored by 03 July at the very latest.

I know now that it was pointless, but I called back several times throughout the day on the first and second of July. Same story every time. We just have to wait to hear back from fraud, or finance, depending who you ask. I'm also told that neither department has phones, or that maybe they do, but we just don't know for sure.

03 July: Okay, finally, 72 hours deadline is today. I call back.

"Oh, I don't see any notes here on your account regarding reactivation. We'll just have to wait to hear back... I don't have any control over this, I'm sorry."

I asked to speak to someone who has control.

A supervisor now tells me that it's a 3 to 5 day wait, and sometimes it's 3 to 10 days. We just have to wait while they investigate the account.

"There's nothing to investigate!" I said, "You have my money! I sent a Top-up card! Turn my phone back on now!"

More apologies.

"I don't want an apology, I want you to explain why I've been assured for the past 3 days that my service would be restored TODAY at the LATEST, and now you're telling me it could be another 7 days!"

"Actually, sir, the investigation was just opened yesterday, so it could be another 9 days."

A number of additional words were spoken, all fruitless. This morning, 05 July, I'm still waiting.

So, to recap:

Returned payment. Service terminated. Absolutely no notification from VM to attempt resolution. Account forwarded to fraud department. Neither fraud nor finance has phones. Customer service refers to me as a "valued customer" and says they "understand my frustration." I'm possibly without a phone for 10 days.

Anyone had this happen? Words of wisdom? Time to bail on VM?

camf3xu

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
Wholly ****. That terrible man. I'd just say **** them and got a new account but I'm impatient. And couldn't go that long with out a phone

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
holy crap. for prepaid service I would just create a fresh account and transfer it to the phone. youd have to contact everyone for your new number but i mean that would fix this.

ive never seen this problem ever from virgin. but tmobile did this to me on a prepaid sidekick plan once. u shouldnt hate virgin mobile, its a freak accident. we dont hear of this happening THAT often for it to be a real issue.

qrab

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Good idea. That is exactly what I tried to do, but my hardware is banned on their network until this issue is resolved. I don't want to shell out for another V. Plus I'm traveling for business in a few days, so I need to have this sorted before then.

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
WOW they banned that phone??

someone up in corporate has it out for you buddy.

seriously though, if you really need a working phone for your trip, buy the new V, set up the new plan, go on the trip and let Virgin Mobile sort out your previous account in the days that your gone. if its for a business trip it should not be something you try to fix last minute. better to have a new, working phone, 2 days before you leave, then to have Virgin fail to get your current phone on the day your supposed to go

this is a bit of a setback, and no one deserves to go through this for a phone. but maybe paying through paypal was the issue. I usually try to pay with my card directly online a few days before my month is up to avoid weird problems like this.

qrab

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
yeah, it's banned. i just hung up after 20 minutes of hold waiting for a supervisor. customer service said there are absolutely no notes from finance or fraud, only notes about me calling them to ask about the status, and suggested that i keep emailing fraudalert multiple times per day asking for an update. yesterday was a completely different story -- the rep said it will probably be reactivated yesterday, or at least by today. i asked what led him to believe that and he said he was basing it on the notes he was reading. everyone has different "information"

anon(182107)

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I think the idea is to never use paypal with a prepaid cell phone service. IMO paypal has too many issues.

Sent from my Optimus V using Tapatalk

mjs2011

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
wow. this is really concerning. an account should never be flagged for fraud because of a returned payment. i could see them requiring top up only if it happens more than once, but this is rediculous.

i would recommend calling back again and ask for a supervisor right away. if you don't a good answer, ask for his/her boss. it's not always easy to get to the next level, but I would keep attempting. the higher up you go, the better chance a set of eyes will see the issue and realize that something isn't right.

qrab

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
well that did it -- they solved my issue in less than an hour. they even credited me $7.20 for the days i didn't have service. i wish i'd known about this a week ago. thanks!

johnp012001

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I think the idea is to never use paypal with a prepaid cell phone service. IMO paypal has too many issues.

Sent from my Optimus V using Tapatalk

There's also horror stories out there about V not stopping autopayments when you terminate service. I pay only with Top Up cards and have never had a problem, and I know when I change service they won't be trying to charge me anything. If there's a mistake, it's me not topping up, and it can be resolved quickly and easily by buying a top up card!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scout13fox