Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    k1
    k1 is offline
    k1's Avatar

    Posts
    7 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default still worth it?

    hey guys

    i am currently looking for a new phone and I was wondering if the optimus v would still be worth getting at this time. thanks!
  2. #2  
    watskyhotsky's Avatar

    Posts
    900 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: still worth it?

    its a good phone. its finally hitting its stride.

    it has a very nice and fast gingerbread ROM available, flash just became available.

    we wont know if its still a great value until we see how the Motorola Triumph fares. maybe it will be an awesome phone for its price, or way overpriced and have problems and everyone will still be all over the V haha
    k1 likes this.
  3. #3  
    LeslieAnn's Avatar
    AC Forums Android Developer

    Posts
    2,897 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Carrier
    Harmonia 3

    Default Re: still worth it?

    My advice, for $150 and the monthly rates, it's a fantastic deal.

    If you want an incredible deal though...
    Use it for a month or so to become comfortable with it and make sure it works properly, then root it and put a nice rom on it, and you will be amazed at what a great phone it is for the money. As for which rom, put Xionia recovery and try them all.
    k1 likes this.
  4. #4  
    mjs2011's Avatar

    Posts
    724 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LeslieAnn View Post
    My advice, for $150 and the monthly rates, it's a fantastic deal.

    If you want an incredible deal though...
    Use it for a month or so to become comfortable with it and make sure it works properly, then root it and put a nice rom on it, and you will be amazed at what a great phone it is for the money. As for which rom, put Xionia recovery and try them all.
    Agreed. Part of the fun with the phone is trying different roms.

    Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk
    k1 likes this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  
    k1
    k1 is offline
    k1's Avatar

    Posts
    7 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: still worth it?

    wow thanks a lot guys, looks like im getting this phone!
  6. #6  
    mjs2011's Avatar

    Posts
    724 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by k1 View Post
    wow thanks a lot guys, looks like im getting this phone!
    Good choice and definitely read up and ask a lot of questions before rooting and flashing roms. It took me over a week to figure it out but it's well worth it.

    Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk
  7. #7  
    Eollie's Avatar

    Posts
    1,566 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,575 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Carrier
    Some arrogant a-holes

    Default Re: still worth it?

    Agreed please read as much as possible before you root and attempt to put a custom recovery and rom on. We would rather read your post about how awesome this phone is then how you bricked it because of a forgotten step.

    And welcome to the addiction.
  8. #8  
    mjs2011's Avatar

    Posts
    724 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Weird... Anyway, I hope the op enjoys the phone.

    Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk
  9. #9  
    notserpmh's Avatar

    Posts
    46 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: still worth it?

    A reseller on Amazon (with good ratings, although I have no experience with them) has the V for $130 with free shipping:

    Amazon.com: LG Optimus Prepaid Android Phone (Virgin Mobile): Cell Phones & Accessories
  10. #10  
    KSmithInNY's Avatar
    AC Forums Android Developer

    Posts
    3,807 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,808 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: still worth it?

    @k1

    I have great news!!! Your thread which was taken over by childish bickering has been cleaned up and made presentable again. Whats more, I'm so disappointed by the actions of a few individuals that, should they decide to crap on your thread again, I'm going to give them a vacation from the forums The optimus V section doesn't require a lot of time from moderators because you folks behave properly. Let's not change that now. If you just joined this community like k1, and in your first thread you see people bickering and taking the thread off topic, what would your opinion be of the community and more specifically those individuals?

    I'm fine with friendly competition and differing opinions but personal attacks and thread crapping will not be tolerated.

    Regarding this phone, I have the Optimus S and love it. I also have a Nexus S 4G and i recently re-activated my Optimus because i missed it lol. Amazing phone, lot's of untapped potential, great battery life. It truly is a pleasure to own this device.

    K.P.
  11. #11  
    Raptor5150's Avatar

    Posts
    42 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: still worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by KSmithInNY View Post
    @k1

    I have great news!!! Your thread which was taken over by childish bickering has been cleaned up and made presentable again. Whats more, I'm so disappointed by the actions of a few individuals that, should they decide to crap on your thread again, I'm going to give them a vacation from the forums The optimus V section doesn't require a lot of time from moderators because you folks behave properly. Let's not change that now. If you just joined this community like k1, and in your first thread you see people bickering and taking the thread off topic, what would your opinion be of the community and more specifically those individuals?

    I'm fine with friendly competition and differing opinions but personal attacks and thread crapping will not be tolerated.

    Regarding this phone, I have the Optimus S and love it. I also have a Nexus S 4G and i recently re-activated my Optimus because i missed it lol. Amazing phone, lot's of untapped potential, great battery life. It truly is a pleasure to own this device.

    K.P.
    this mod means buisness

    good to see active mods in this forum.. ^_^
  12. #12  
    amishfury's Avatar

    Posts
    9 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: still worth it?

    if you do get the V you will eventually be very tempted to root it at the very least to be able to use link2sd because of the criminally low internal storage
  13. #13  
    JHAT's Avatar

    Posts
    9 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: still worth it?

    I'm new to the android scene, but I found a $130 new unopened LG optimus V off amazon. Not sure if that was against the rules...

    But considering how robust the hardware is and the apparent ease of rooting, I think the $130 is a fair price to pay for a low-mid tier phone.
  14. #14  
    easyguy's Avatar

    Posts
    132 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: still worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by watskyhotsky View Post
    its a good phone. its finally hitting its stride.

    it has a very nice and fast gingerbread ROM available, flash just became available.

    we wont know if its still a great value until we see how the Motorola Triumph fares. maybe it will be an awesome phone for its price, or way overpriced and have problems and everyone will still be all over the V haha
    This is news to me, the V got Flash? When? Where? How? What rom?
  15. #15  
    Eollie's Avatar

    Posts
    1,566 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,575 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Carrier
    Some arrogant a-holes

    Default Re: still worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by easyguy View Post
    This is news to me, the V got Flash? When? Where? How? What rom?
    Like the gingerbread roms its not official and more of a hack to get it mostly working.
    Check the asop thread and iirc there is a thread dedicated to it in the hacking section.
  16. #16  
    csx321's Avatar

    Posts
    10 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: still worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eollie View Post
    Like the gingerbread roms its not official and more of a hack to get it mostly working.
    Check the asop thread and iirc there is a thread dedicated to it in the hacking section.
    Yep, FWIW I just now installed the Flash package from XDA (I'm using the asop ROM), and it appeared to work fine on the first thing I tried, which was the JibJab site. I've been on this ROM for about 2 weeks now, and I'm liking it a lot. After flashing the camera focus fix, I'm not having any issues with it. I think that fix is now integrated into the main download. The main reason I tried this ROM was to get rid of the green bar on the Netflix app (it does), but it's actually the first CM ROM I've used, and it's hard to imaging going back now. Love the CM features.

    For reference: Flash thread on XDA
  17. #17  
    bjones72751's Avatar

    Posts
    184 Posts
    Global Posts
    185 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    The only thing that I DONT luke about tho ov is the screen size and resolution. Its not a big deal, cause it looks fine, just slightly limits the available apps. Most gameloft games aren't compatible.
    Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

";