Need help setting up work e-mail

aaron5775

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
I've been trying this past week to get my work e-mail setup on my new LG Optimus V phone but so far I just keep getting various error messages. I had my e-mail working on my previous Blackberry, although I don't remember exactly how I got it setup. The Blackberry would sync with my calendar in addition to receiving all of my work e-mail, and I'd like to have my LG Optimus do the same so forwarding to a Gmail account isn't really what I want to do. The problem is I work in IT so it's a little embarrassing to be call up our helpdesk on how to set up e-mail on my phone, so I'd rather not call them :)

If I don't choose manual setup I get an error saying: "Username or password incorrect"
If I go into manual setup it defaults my Domain as: \firstname.lastname
with server: companyname.com

I have tried copying information from my account settings in Microsoft Outlook but that doesn't seem to work either.
In Outlook the server name is something like: exch02.companyname.com
So what I believe I should be entering is:
Domain: companyname\username (I'm using the username I use to log in from Microsoft Web Access)
Password: mypassword
Server: exch02.companyname.com

Use secure connection (SSL) checked
Accept all SSL certificates not checked

Using this information it hangs a bit on the screen that says "Checking incoming server settings..." and then after about a minute or so gives me an error message "Unable to open connection to server."

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, can anybody help?

johnp012001

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I've been trying this past week to get my work e-mail setup on my new LG Optimus V phone but so far I just keep getting various error messages. I had my e-mail working on my previous Blackberry, although I don't remember exactly how I got it setup. The Blackberry would sync with my calendar in addition to receiving all of my work e-mail, and I'd like to have my LG Optimus do the same so forwarding to a Gmail account isn't really what I want to do. The problem is I work in IT so it's a little embarrassing to be call up our helpdesk on how to set up e-mail on my phone, so I'd rather not call them :)

If I don't choose manual setup I get an error saying: "Username or password incorrect"
If I go into manual setup it defaults my Domain as: \firstname.lastname
with server: companyname.com

I have tried copying information from my account settings in Microsoft Outlook but that doesn't seem to work either.
In Outlook the server name is something like: exch02.companyname.com
So what I believe I should be entering is:
Domain: companyname\username (I'm using the username I use to log in from Microsoft Web Access)
Password: mypassword
Server: exch02.companyname.com

Use secure connection (SSL) checked
Accept all SSL certificates not checked

Using this information it hangs a bit on the screen that says "Checking incoming server settings..." and then after about a minute or so gives me an error message "Unable to open connection to server."

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, can anybody help?
My Outlook settings are similar, but my server setting on the phone is mail.companyname.com, same as I use to access webmail in a browser.

Reactions: aaron5775

Retorrent

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Also make sure that the proxy isn't set up to block the app (if they use one). For some reason ours here at work didn't like the app and kept denying it access had to add an exception for it. A lot of companies will have it set to default to allow BB access because they are still used widely in some offices. Where as it will block any other attempt it dose not recognize.

Reactions: aaron5775

aaron5775

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Did you save your email to dictionary? If so it inserts a space after your email and it will give you an Invalid user name/pw
I don't know what you mean by "saving my e-mail to dictionary". I'm copying settings set up on Microsoft Outlook to my Cell phone by hand.
My Outlook settings are similar, but my server setting on the phone is mail.companyname.com, same as I use to access webmail in a browser.
I use Microsoft Outlook Access for web access:
https://owa.companyname.com/owa/
Also make sure that the proxy isn't set up to block the app (if they use one). For some reason ours here at work didn't like the app and kept denying it access had to add an exception for it. A lot of companies will have it set to default to allow BB access because they are still used widely in some offices. Where as it will block any other attempt it dose not recognize.
I don't have access to the company exchange servers so I don't know if they block mobile devices or not, I just know setting up my BlackBerry was a pain because I had to set it up differently than normally, but I don't remember exactly what I did to get it working. From my understanding it was basically just logging into the web access and getting my mail that way, which added some delay in retrieving e-mails, but it wasn't more than a couple of minutes which was just fine with me. It also still synced up the calendar so in the end it was a pretty seamless process.

If I log into the web access I can get to an area where I can delete mobile phones, basically in case it is lost so someone else isn't getting my e-mails, but this doesn't show my old phone and you can only remove phones, not add. For adding it says to set it up through the phone.

Any ideas how to get this working?