Upgrading from the OV to the Triumph? Look here

nickmiller71

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully many people upgrade to the Triumph from the V. That way we'll have more developers on board. What I'm worried about is the fact that many of the people that own the Optimus do so because of the fact that it's reasonably cheap, meaning that fewer people will buy the Triumph, therefore meaning less developers. That's only my opinion, of couse...lol

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I feel like some people are forgetting the OV has issues too. Maybe I should have been more clear about that. Here are some just off the top of my head:
OV Drawbacks:
1. The screen is low resolution
2. The screen is not particularly that sharp
3. The screen is quite small
4. Because of the small screen, when they keyboard pops up in portrait mode, it takes over half the screen! This makes inputting text sometimes difficult.
5. The processor is slow, even overclocked.
6. Games perform moderate at best, choppy at worst, with most new games not performing that well.
7. Netflix feels like I?m asking way too much of my phone, choppy at times, crashing at other times.
8. Battery life stock was bad!
9. Physical buttons have a cheap ?clicky? feel to them
10. No notification light.
11. No official flash support.
12. Playing avi movie files was ok at best, choppy and unplayable at worst (I'm not even trying the hi-def ones!)

There are probably more issues if I sat down and thought about it for a while. My point here is, the comparison isn't between a perfectly designed Optimus V vs. a poorly designed Triumph. Rather, they both have plenty of issues. And I have to humbly disagree with Hatmaker, I think that if anyone buys the Triumph, they will like it enough to keep it. If you can afford it, its a great phone for the price, the best pre-paid phone there is out there.
Sorry, but what you are saying is complete BS.

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 9, 10, 11
All should have been understood before you bought it, and when new, 6 months ago, it was a decent (not great) processor. It's not like the Scdard slots were failing or the screen was washed out or something. They worked and were very consistent at it. Most returns seemed to have been bricks from improper modding.

7. You're kidding right, Netflix wasn't even out when this phone came out. Is it even really available for our phones yet?
11. Flash was and is still new and still runs poor in most circumstances. Same as above, is it really meant for our phones yet?
12. Avi movies.. it's a phone, not a home entertainment center. Seriously, you want to watch quality movies on a sub 4inch screen? You seem to love torture, what's a little stuttering among BDSM buddies.

When the OV came out there was 3 main issues.
The battery life (fixed), which from what I understand is even worse on the Triumph.
The phone was slow (semi-fixed), it wasn't terrible for the time or money, again a good rom helps.
And lastly, the rubber coating peeled (big deal).

Sorry, those don't quite compare with bad screens and slots. They don't effect general usability.
Remember you are comparing a phone that and cost half as much, 6 months ago.

pbailey212

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I love my optimus, its perfect for me, its cheap and fits in my pocket, honestly by paper its a hunk of crap, but it performs way better than any other lowend android phone and alot of stock higher end contract phones

Retorrent

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
I feel like some people are forgetting the OV has issues too. Maybe I should have been more clear about that. Here are some just off the top of my head:

OV Drawbacks:

4. Because of the small screen, when they keyboard pops up in portrait mode, it takes over half the screen! This makes inputting text sometimes difficult.

6. Games perform moderate at best, choppy at worst, with most new games not performing that well.

7. Netflix feels like I?m asking way too much of my phone, choppy at times, crashing at other times.

12. Playing avi movie files was ok at best, choppy and unplayable at worst (I'm not even trying the hi-def ones!)

There are probably more issues if I sat down and thought about it for a while. My point here is, the comparison isn't between a perfectly designed Optimus V vs. a poorly designed Triumph. Rather, they both have plenty of issues. And I have to humbly disagree with Hatmaker, I think that if anyone buys the Triumph, they will like it enough to keep it. If you can afford it, its a great phone for the price, the best pre-paid phone there is out there.

For the price you guys paid for that thing it should have only minor issues at best, you spent almost double for that phone and for it to have screen issues and SD card slot issues is just inexcusable. I think a lot of people look at it with rose colored glasses because A) its cost a lot of money and B) Its still new so the new toy factor is taking over. I think you guys will be seeing things differently in a few months if VM drags ass on getting updates to you guys.

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I love my optimus, its perfect for me, its cheap and fits in my pocket, honestly by paper its a hunk of crap, but it performs way better than any other lowend android phone and alot of stock higher end contract phones

I have a lot of nerd friends with the latest EVO and all these nice high end phones and most of them were jealous that I got a functional stable 2.3.4 Android ROM on my "crappy" phone, and that pretty much everything on my phone is smooth and usable. no lag except for the apps that require a 1GHz or more cpu.

some of these "high end" phones cant even flick to different homescreens without stuttering. its those small details that they notice when they use mine for a bit that makes them rethink having the most expensive thing they could find at the store. especially when they hear that I'm paying $25 for data, texting, and 5 hours of talk.

software really is 50% of the phone. it might be "low end" hardware but paired with a well built ROM, this phone blows away a lot of others.

I think the triumph will really shine once we get a good gingerbread or Ice Cream Sandwich rom on it.

If manufacturers want us to stop loading new roms, they should ship with a lean mean optimized version of the latest android with no bloat. butttt thats a story for another thread.

asadullah

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty happy that they ship with an unlocked bootloader hopefully it will have the issues that it has fixed soon. Although they don't really have to do anything since you bought the phone with that stuff on there.
If you have the optimus V and are thinking about the upgrade (can I call it that?) The acer iconia is being sold for 399. Target is offering a 50 dollar gift card with it's purchase and I think you can use the bestbuy 10% off coupon and if your lucky enough to have a friend working there (I'm not) they get an additional 10% off. And everything on it works

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

1,2,3) So? Not everybody wants some huge mini-tablet in their pockets.
4) Again so? What did you do before the era of smartphone? Thumbed that **** out on a dumbphone.
5&6) This is a smartphone not a mini-gaming machine.
7) Really? People using their phones to stream netflixs is part of the reason we are getting a cap. Further more our phone is NOT supported by Netflix. PERIOD.
8) The battery life we are hearing about on your Triumph is worse then the stock Optimus was.
9) I would rather have a "cheap clicky" feel then no feel at all.
10) What did you do when you had a dumbphone and the only way to know if you had a voicemail or message was to open it and look?
11) Do you really need flash on your smartphone? I thought I did on my DX then I realized it wasnt necessary.
12) Why are you using your phone as a media center player? Hell a mac mini is like 600 bucks and would suffice a helluva lot better.

Everything you listed is just being but hurt because somebody said you wasted 300 bucks on a phone that is piss poor and shouldnt have been released as unpolished as it was. But hey that is typical of Motorola.

Like Leslieanne I think I will be waiting to see how well the Optimus Black turns out. I have lost faith in Motorola to produce something without dropping the ball.

theboundless

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm honestly surprised that everyone is jumping down my throat for simply stating what I take to be some drawbacks of the OV. The problem is, I LIKE THE OV, and I've recommended it to friends, even after I got the triumph. I think the OV is the best unsubsidized $150 android phone you can get. But I also think the Triumph is the best unsubsidized $300 android phone you can get. I don't think there is a conflict at all in holding those two beliefs. I'm not really sure why everyone is getting so emotional. Can we please keep things civil? Can we please calmly discuss the advantages and drawbacks of both the OV and the T, without acting like we just insulted each other's mothers?

Helgaiden

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Thank you for posting this.

That stinks, I wasn't aware of so many issues, but I also wasn't looking.
This was exactly the kind of quality issues many were afraid of (including myself).

There is more to a phone than fit and finish or processor as Triumph users are now seeing. It's easy to make a cheap phone look good, or throw one or two good parts to bump the specs, it doesn't make it a good product. You can still cheap out on the little things and those, visible or not, can make or break a product just as much as a large part.

What also worries me is that the carrier is ultimately responsible for phone updates, which Virgin is bad about, plus you have to wait for Motorola to offer it to them, who also has a bad reputation for updates. And worse than that, Motorola has to wait for Huawei to give it to them.

We had nowhere near these kinds of issues with the OV, and I think at this point unless something seriously changes before then, I'll be upgrading to the OB.

It seems the issues are being blown out of proportion a bit. I was a happy OV user that yearned for more. This phone satisfied that. Runs awesome out of the box (cant wait for roms). Does everything i want it to. The screen looks great (just as good as the OV to me), feels good to the touch, the buttons seem responsive (i had an Eris which had touch sensitive keys...this one totally beats that down in sensitivity and response), the touchscreen is a tad sensitive sure but you get use to it. I have a tiny bit of light leakage from the bottom left corner but i really had to look for it to see it. The build quality overall feels great so im not sure where the complaints are coming from. I've handled my dad's Droid X a ton as well as my brother's Motorola Defy...this feels up to par with those.
Leslie i know your work, you do good things with the OV. Give this phone a shot and maybe see what you can do. It DOES have a return policy after all (if you get it from a brick and mortar place making it easier). Maybe its just me or i got a good one but the issues at hand dont seem like a big deal, or at least not a big enough deal to make me want to take this phone back.

Centinel

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm honestly surprised that everyone is jumping down my throat for simply stating what I take to be some drawbacks of the OV. The problem is, I LIKE THE OV, and I've recommended it to friends, even after I got the triumph. I think the OV is the best unsubsidized $150 android phone you can get. But I also think the Triumph is the best unsubsidized $300 android phone you can get. I don't think there is a conflict at all in holding those two beliefs. I'm not really sure why everyone is getting so emotional. Can we please keep things civil? Can we please calmly discuss the advantages and drawbacks of both the OV and the T, without acting like we just insulted each other's mothers?

The problem with your drawbacks for the Optimus V is that many of them aren't, being matters of preference, and others can be expected for a no-contract phone which sells for $150 or less. The Triumph costs twice as much and has more serious flaws that detract from its basic usability.

Is it the best $300 no-contract phone? I don't know. I can say that its release was badly executed and that it's a poor value as-is. My opinion will change if its issued are resolved.

HatMaker

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site

OV Drawbacks:

7. Netflix feels like I’m asking way too much of my phone, choppy at times, crashing at other times.

9. Physical buttons have a cheap “clicky” feel to them

I think the issue here and why you are getting singled out a bit is most of your concerns center around performance/preference. It is a known quality that the Optimus V can't hold a candle to the Triumph in terms of power. I agree that the processing power of my Triumph is amazing compared to the V, but unfortunately that happens to be the only major upside so far along with the bigger screen.

The unfortunate part for me is when I wrote about my issues in the Triumph forum people jumped down my throat for stating them. I have no interest with trying to justify my Triumph purchase and gloss over issues; I am only interested about having a phone that works 100%. This phone was 300+ (tax) dollars out of pocket, and I expected more from it for that price.

The Optimus V is not a super phone, and is not for anyone who wishes to use their phone with intensive games and applications. I specifically stated in my thread as well I only recommended the Triumph if you needed the hardware power.

I am very much on the fence if I will keep my Triumph. I do enjoy the Snapdragon processor inside it, but it often fails to work as a phone. The random build quality issues that have cropped up with so many other phones such as the stuck white screens, malfunctioning buttons, screen flickering, and other general lack of Q/A testing makes me question my Triumph. The last thing I would need is my Triumph to suddenly go out on me or develop issues with no warning.

I'm glad you enjoy your phone and I am sure many others do as well. I enjoy my Triumph as well from the hardware power perspective, and that's what makes it difficult for me to immediately return it. I am just hoping these issues get sorted out, or the next batch of phones fix the issues that prevent this from actually working as a phone.

Last edited:

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Lets talk about the drawbacks the not the personal desires of a phone.
Take into account what the device was designed to do. TRULY designed to do.
Then lets compare them side by side.

Pretty much everything you listed the Optimus was no designed to do.
Flash, play movies, play brand new released games.
Smartphones shouldnt be replacing your computer or laptop, only supplementing it.A lot of people end up trying to use their smartphone to replace a laptop/pc and well its not going to happen. Atleast not this year or probably not next year.

To b quite honest, I have a bad taste regarding Motorola phones. Everyone Ive owned in the past ten years wasnt as good as it was hyped up to be. I seen this phone and my initial reaction was ohh goody a prepaid Moto phone. Then the truth comes out its a rebranded knock-off being sold to us so we feel like they care and want to help us get into the "high-end" android world. The bigger screen and faster processor dont appeal to me as much as designed and marketed to fit what should be available to every consumer.

I think that is why people are waiting to see how the Black turns out. It looks like it is designed around giving us a "high-end" phone on a budget. Not a rebranded piece of crap with a New name.

Retorrent

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty happy that they ship with an unlocked bootloader hopefully it will have the issues that it has fixed soon. Although they don't really have to do anything since you bought the phone with that stuff on there.
If you have the optimus V and are thinking about the upgrade (can I call it that?) The acer iconia is being sold for 399. Target is offering a 50 dollar gift card with it's purchase and I think you can use the bestbuy 10% off coupon and if your lucky enough to have a friend working there (I'm not) they get an additional 10% off. And everything on it works

are we 100% that the bootloader is unlocked? Can I see the source of the info? Just asking because this was a big road block for me on even buying a triumph.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Leslie i know your work, you do good things with the OV. Give this phone a shot and maybe see what you can do. It DOES have a return policy after all (if you get it from a brick and mortar place making it easier). Maybe its just me or i got a good one but the issues at hand dont seem like a big deal, or at least not a big enough deal to make me want to take this phone back.

Let's ignore the problems the Triumph has for a moment...
It's $300 for what amounts to about 1/4in more screen and slightly faster processor.

The screen size, I would like, but it's not a big deal. It's still a small screen (and I don't want a tablet).
The faster processor means I wait 1/100th of a second more for some things. Most of the time I'm waiting on the network, not the phone itself.

So basically, the truth of the matter is that I spend $300 for a slightly larger screen, and inferior build quality. No. From what I have seen, waiting for the Black is my best bet, or see whatever else comes out. Or maybe by then the triumph will be flushed out and be worth my time, but for now, no way am I touching that thing.

lou61166

Banned
Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I thought the the same until I actually got it in my hand and started using it. Night and days better than my Optimus!

But then again it is really the only way to justify trying to review something you never used,way to many know it all's,how can anybody review anything without actually using it is beyond me.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
But then again it is really the only way to justify trying to review something you never used,way to many know it all's,how can anybody review anything without actually using it is beyond me.

You've owned a certain brand of car in the past. Didn't have real good luck with it so you are very reluctant to purchase another car from that brand. You like the current one you have but a new model comes out by the brand your leery of. But all your friends are ragin about how it has this and that and its so much better. It gets 33mpg and your current car gets 29mpg.

Your reading reviews and taking past experience with that particular brand into consideration. Then you find out the brand really didn't even create the new model just slapped some new badges on it and emissions so it could be sold in your country. The brand that actually makes the model has a track record of making sub-par cars that last short periods of time. But the new model marketed by brand A is suppose to be soooo much better.

When brand A finally launches the new model people get it and start talking about its pros and cons. You are still thinking hmm past experience with brand A and now the fact its not a real new car but a re-branded model from brand B. The people around you are giving honest thoughts and you make a honest opinion of the new model and tell your friends.

Now your friends are saying you have no right making a decision and saying you don't like it because you didn't buy it and test it out for a couple weeks. But in reality you used peoples thoughts and your past experience on the car to say ya know your a tool and I don't have to own it to know its a piece of crap.

TL;DR?
Lou shuddup. People don't have to use something to make opinion and decide if they really wanna waste the money on it. The economy the way it is I applaud people not wasting money on a phone they would prolly end up throwing away or just tossing in a junk draw if it doesn't work. There is plenty of unpaid reviews of the phone to tell most if not all that is being complained about is valid and not far off on each device. The only people not being truthful and un-candid is the fanbois and loyalists.

Manicor

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
You've owned a certain brand of car in the past. Didn't have real good luck with it so you are very reluctant to purchase another car from that brand. You like the current one you have but a new model comes out by the brand your leery of. But all your friends are ragin about how it has this and that and its so much better. It gets 33mpg and your current car gets 29mpg.

Your reading reviews and taking past experience with that particular brand into consideration. Then you find out the brand really didn't even create the new model just slapped some new badges on it and emissions so it could be sold in your country. The brand that actually makes the model has a track record of making sub-par cars that last short periods of time. But the new model marketed by brand A is suppose to be soooo much better.

When brand A finally launches the new model people get it and start talking about its pros and cons. You are still thinking hmm past experience with brand A and now the fact its not a real new car but a re-branded model from brand B. The people around you are giving honest thoughts and you make a honest opinion of the new model and tell your friends.

Now your friends are saying you have no right making a decision and saying you don't like it because you didn't buy it and test it out for a couple weeks. But in reality you used peoples thoughts and your past experience on the car to say ya know your a tool and I don't have to own it to know its a piece of crap.

TL;DR?
Lou shuddup. People don't have to use something to make opinion and decide if they really wanna waste the money on it. The economy the way it is I applaud people not wasting money on a phone they would prolly end up throwing away or just tossing in a junk draw if it doesn't work. There is plenty of unpaid reviews of the phone to tell most if not all that is being complained about is valid and not far off on each device. The only people not being truthful and un-candid is the fanbois and loyalists.

Wow, upset prolly (lol, probably) because you don't have the money (economy) to purchase one. lol

Sent from my MOTWX435KT using Tapatalk

lou61166

Banned
Mar 14, 2011
Visit site

TL;DR?

This why there are return policies,but to pass judgement on something you never owned or touched is just biased opinions,you never know till you try comes in here.and fanboism goes both ways,LG is not exactly perfect itself,if your V was still stock would you be happy,most of the opinions are coming from custom Rom users.