Upgrading from the OV to the Triumph? Look here

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Wow, upset prolly (lol, probably) because you don't have the money (economy) to purchase one. lol

Sent from my MOTWX435KT using Tapatalk
Nope not upset one bit.
Making a point.
People dont have to own the phone or product to make a educated decision about it.

This why there are return policies,but to pass judgement on something you never owned or touched is just biased opinions,you never know till you try comes in here.and fanboism goes both ways,LG is not exactly perfect itself,if your V was still stock would you be happy,most of the opinions are coming from custom Rom users.

To be honest Im not a fanboi of LG if anything you would say Im a fanboi of HTC. But seeing as how they dont have a phone available to us then I take the next best thing.

Your right I wasnt happy with the stock rom. I had plans to install a custom rom before I had the phone in my hands. Why? Because I knew the carrier installed software would be junk. I also wanted to get a CM rom. From the minute this phone was announced/leaked you and others have been on the side of its so great, yet the people that have owned moto phones (other then the droid1) know how crappy the track record they have had is and we are just haters. And now apparently too poor to buy the phone.

Ive said it so many times if Im proven wrong on the quality and success of the Triumph I will eat my words. But so far it looks like Im gonna be hungry.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Wow, upset prolly (lol, probably) because you don't have the money (economy) to purchase one. lol

Sent from my MOTWX435KT using Tapatalk

I have the money.

This why there are return policies,but to pass judgement on something you never owned or touched is just biased opinions,you never know till you try comes in here.and fanboism goes both ways,LG is not exactly perfect itself,if your V was still stock would you be happy,most of the opinions are coming from custom Rom users.

I looked at Huawei phones before the phone came out.
I have seen some of the complaints about this phone and other Huawei.
I know enough about Motorola and looked at how they operate in regards to updates, it wasn't good.
I know enough about LG and how they operate in regards to updated, it was okay.

Past history of a company is a good indication of a companies future and so far I have seen more reason not to change, than reasons to change to a Triumph. Return policies are not a "try before you buy" system. Besides, how is that return policy going to work in 6 months or a year? Return enough things to Best Buy and they will actually reject you as a customer.

My advice regarding the Triumph, buy an extended warranty, you may need it.

Liquidplacidity

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I have the money.

I looked at Huawei phones before the phone came out.
I have seen some of the complaints about this phone and other Huawei.
I know enough about Motorola and looked at how they operate in regards to updates, it wasn't good.
I know enough about LG and how they operate in regards to updated, it was okay.

Past history of a company is a good indication of a companies future and so far I have seen more reason not to change, than reasons to change to a Triumph. Return policies are not a "try before you buy" system. Besides, how is that return policy going to work in 6 months or a year? Return enough things to Best Buy and they will actually reject you as a customer.

My advice regarding the Triumph, buy an extended warranty, you may need it.

I agree. I tried to exchange mine at best buy and they wouldn't take it back no matter what. I actually had to call virgin mobile and they are sending me a replacement in 1-3 days. Oh, the replacements are used/refurbished phones by the way.

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm honestly surprised that everyone is jumping down my throat for simply stating what I take to be some drawbacks of the OV.

Because what you call "drawbacks" above, you originally called "issues". Big difference. Drawbacks are subjective. A drawback to you maybe be an advantage to someone else (smaller screen/size, physical buttons). Issues are something that is supposed to work in a certain way and doesn't, or doesn't work at all. The OV didn't surprise anyone with issues. If anything people were pleasantly surprised at how well the lowly-spec'd phone actually performed. And again, it's half the price of the MT and is frequently called "a steal" by reviewers, both pro and amateur. I doubt the Triumph will be badged the same so universally.

HatMaker

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
I agree. I tried to exchange mine at best buy and they wouldn't take it back no matter what. I actually had to call virgin mobile and they are sending me a replacement in 1-3 days. Oh, the replacements are used/refurbished phones by the way.
I updated my experience with my phone in the Triumph forum, but I found the PRL hack improves the signal reliability quite a bit. I updated both my Optimus V and Triumph to the 60680 PRL nmarz posted, and the Triumph saw immediate improvement. On a major freeway my Triumph was not able to hold a 3G signal and dropped to 1X/no signal on the stock 61007 PRL. With the updated 60680 PRL my Triumph can now hold a 3G connection fairly reliably. Oddly enough, the Optimus V did not show much improvement at all and held the 3G 100% with no problems even with the stock 61007 PRL. The only thing I can conclude is the Triumph REALLY needs the extra tower entries, while the Optimus V is so good at holding signal in comparison it doesn't really matter.

My phone still has many flaws including but not limited to signal level spikes, poor GPS performance, poor choppy compass performance, and random poor responsiveness. My past recommendation still stands and I only recommend the Triumph if you need the bigger screen and the much faster Snapdragon processor. I don't want to cross post or repeat myself too much, but my thoughts along with others on this phone are posted in the Triumph forum here.

Reactions: Eollie

one80oneday

Jan 25, 2011
twitter.com
After trying two different MTs I went back to the OV because so many things were wrong with it. Guess I'll wait for the OB, so disappointed :(

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
After trying two different MTs I went back to the OV because so many things were wrong with it. Guess I'll wait for the OB, so disappointed :(

I'm staying the course with my OV too. Such a good little dependable android. The Optimus Black does look nice but I find that G button to be a little hokey. I love the camera button on the V. Wish the Black was more like it in terms of buttons.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

What exactly was the biggest deal breakers?

Im also curious how many people that were all about the triumph and thought it was the best thing since slided bread are just "dealing" with it in hopes Virgin will push fixes?

one80oneday

Jan 25, 2011
twitter.com
What exactly was the biggest deal breakers?

Im also curious how many people that were all about the triumph and thought it was the best thing since slided bread are just "dealing" with it in hopes Virgin will push fixes?

Well I'm no developer but I'm not a noob either. It really kills me to not be able to upgrade to the MT when the specs are so awesome but here is something inherently wrong with it whether it's software or hardware related. Honestly I wanted to keep it just to see if updates could fix it but really they became unusable. Here is why I returned both after several days of testing and tweaking:

Wifi: Both phones would initially connect but after a few minutes they would disconnect and never reconnect even after restarting the phone or removing and re-adding the router. This would happen with all security levels and even when the connection was open. Every other device I have, including other Android phones, are able to connect without a problem. I made sure the MT was set never to sleep, and tried many apps to help but nothing would keep it connected. If this was the only issue I don't think it would be a deal breaker by itself because hopefully a fix would get pushed eventually or a custom rom might help, however I do use wifi whenever possible for faster data speeds and better battery life.

GPS: This seems to be a very common issue although some people experience faster lock times than others. My first MT would connect after ~10mins, however would often lose satellites and stop navigation multiple times throughout short trips. Tweaks and apps did not help any. With my second MT the GPS never connects after several attempts outdoors. Again apps and tweaks did not help any. Now I do not use the GPS as often as I use Wifi but my smartphone has been my primary GPS unit for years now. This alone is not a deal breaker because I could buy a cheap GPS unit to use instead and hopefully updates would eventually fix it.

Sound: There seems to be an app that controls headset volume but there are no options to control it. With both phones, most of the time the volume was way to quiet even when it was set to max to listen to. I would say that it's max volume was half as loud as other devices, however with some apps the volume would get higher. Also if there was an audible notification of some sort it would randomly change the volume (not the volume setting but the volume itself). After many tweaks, resets, and apps nothing could fix this and was ultimately what was the deal breaker for me as I listen to music about 10hrs/day.

Screen/Buttons: Both phones had issues with the buttons and screen sensitivity similar to that of the Intercept. Not only was the illumination of the buttons inconstant (would randomly light up and turn off while screen was on whether or not they were pressed) but the back and home keys would become unresponsive. The only way to fix the unresponsiveness would be to either turn the screen sideways or turn screen on/off. Although quite annoying, this was not a deal breaker by itself.

Camera: Fortunately I did not have focus issues as many others have reported with either phone however both had a green tint concentrated on the center of the image. I do not take many pictures and updates might fix it but would not take pictures using the phone until it got fixed period. Not a deal breaker by itself.

With all these issues I could not keep either phone just to hope and wait for fixes. I have never spent that much for a phone before nor have I received a phone out of the box with so many issues. Whoever manufactured this phone should be ashamed as it was not fully tested in real world situations and they are selling defective devices. My advice to anyone keeping their MT would be to fully test it until the 30 day return window is up.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
With all these issues I could not keep either phone just to hope and wait for fixes. I have never spent that much for a phone before nor have I received a phone out of the box with so many issues. Whoever manufactured this phone should be ashamed as it was not fully tested in real world situations and they are selling defective devices. My advice to anyone keeping their MT would be to fully test it until the 30 day return window is up.

Sounds like the very cheap, early Chinese mp3 players.
They worked, but would fall apart if you looked at them wrong. Buttons woudl break or not work, etc..

Bottom line is that they cut corners all over and used very cheap internal components to fit that processor and screen. Both of which look great on paper.

I'm glad you were able to return them. I hope more people do and that Virgin makes a better effort next time.

radiobufff

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Well I'm no developer but I'm not a noob either. It really kills me to not be able to upgrade to the MT when the specs are so awesome but here is something inherently wrong with it whether it's software or hardware related. Honestly I wanted to keep it just to see if updates could fix it but really they became unusable. Here is why I returned both after several days of testing and tweaking:

Wifi: Both phones would initially connect but after a few minutes they would disconnect and never reconnect even after restarting the phone or removing and re-adding the router. This would happen with all security levels and even when the connection was open. Every other device I have, including other Android phones, are able to connect without a problem. I made sure the MT was set never to sleep, and tried many apps to help but nothing would keep it connected. If this was the only issue I don't think it would be a deal breaker by itself because hopefully a fix would get pushed eventually or a custom rom might help, however I do use wifi whenever possible for faster data speeds and better battery life.

GPS: This seems to be a very common issue although some people experience faster lock times than others. My first MT would connect after ~10mins, however would often lose satellites and stop navigation multiple times throughout short trips. Tweaks and apps did not help any. With my second MT the GPS never connects after several attempts outdoors. Again apps and tweaks did not help any. Now I do not use the GPS as often as I use Wifi but my smartphone has been my primary GPS unit for years now. This alone is not a deal breaker because I could buy a cheap GPS unit to use instead and hopefully updates would eventually fix it.

Sound: There seems to be an app that controls headset volume but there are no options to control it. With both phones, most of the time the volume was way to quiet even when it was set to max to listen to. I would say that it's max volume was half as loud as other devices, however with some apps the volume would get higher. Also if there was an audible notification of some sort it would randomly change the volume (not the volume setting but the volume itself). After many tweaks, resets, and apps nothing could fix this and was ultimately what was the deal breaker for me as I listen to music about 10hrs/day.

Screen/Buttons: Both phones had issues with the buttons and screen sensitivity similar to that of the Intercept. Not only was the illumination of the buttons inconstant (would randomly light up and turn off while screen was on whether or not they were pressed) but the back and home keys would become unresponsive. The only way to fix the unresponsiveness would be to either turn the screen sideways or turn screen on/off. Although quite annoying, this was not a deal breaker by itself.

Camera: Fortunately I did not have focus issues as many others have reported with either phone however both had a green tint concentrated on the center of the image. I do not take many pictures and updates might fix it but would not take pictures using the phone until it got fixed period. Not a deal breaker by itself.

I myself waited a week after returning the first one before trying again. Unfortunately I had no idea how good the first one had been as the second one had even more issues. Bought a second OV to lock in the $25/mo rate and wait for the O Black.

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
the first production run of a device is plagued by problems. takes awhile to work out the kinks.

problem is, usually they build the devices and work out the manufacturing problems BEFORE the thing ships to customers.

it seems like they just released the first builds of it to sate demand and cut costs.

bad move, but the phone itself has potential if your willing to wait till the 2nd or 3rd month in. wasnt the optimus this way?

My first optimus has a bunch of problems. the case was creaky, the screen had a row of stuck pixels, the wifi dropped every hour or so. I returned it and asked for a phone from the newest shipment and ive been using that since with, well. less problems. haha. the back cover isnt the tightest fit. but functionally its worlds better than the first optimus I bought.

I kind of feel for everyone who has to deal with the triumph not working as it should. but you did choose to pay 300 for a phone you knew was too new to have a lot of QC and manufactured by huawei. so just keep returning it for a better one if you can.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
the first production run of a device is plagued by problems. takes awhile to work out the kinks.

My first optimus has a bunch of problems. the case was creaky, the screen had a row of stuck pixels, the wifi dropped every hour or so. I returned it and asked for a phone from the newest shipment and ive been using that since with, well. less problems. haha. the back cover isnt the tightest fit. but functionally its worlds better than the first optimus I bought.

My Optimus was first batch, (I got one of the first in my area, well before the sale date), no issues.
My Blackberry was first batch for Virgin, no issues.

You got a lemon OV.
Ever heard of a "Friday model". It's the idea that you don't want anything built on Monday or Friday. Friday the workers slack, Monday they are hungover.

Seems to me that a few weeks of Triumph has produced more complaints than 6 months of OV complaints.

blarf

Jul 8, 2011
github.com
Sounds like the very cheap, early Chinese mp3 players.
They worked, but would fall apart if you looked at them wrong. Buttons woudl break or not work, etc..

Bottom line is that they cut corners all over and used very cheap internal components to fit that processor and screen. Both of which look great on paper.

I'm glad you were able to return them. I hope more people do and that Virgin makes a better effort next time.

It's not Virgin, it's Motorola. Look at how they pushed Google to rush Honeycomb for the Xoom, look at how they've pushed back the Bionic how many times? Look at any of their pre-Android phones. Motorola has been making crap phones for a while, and the comparison to cheap Chinese MP3 players is apt as the Triumph is probably made in China (vs the Optimus which is made in S. Korea). There are many reasons Motorola has seen their market share shrink precipitously since their StarTac heyday, and the Triumph is probably a good example of why. That said, I think my friend must have gotten a good Triumph as he hasn't had any major complaints that I know of (and I was jealous of the camera and screen).

But, yeah, there's more to life than specs and checking off features on a list. That's why the iPhone has such a loyal following. Getting the user experience right is something that neither Google nor most Android manufacturers have really paid a whole lot of attention to.

rnorth6920

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
I tried the MT but had issues activating it. The main issue I had with it was the ram. My system info app showed only 350ish mb's total. My OV shows well over 400. I returned it the next day to BB and will holdout for the OB if it makes its way to the US.

easyguy

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
I dont know why you people are holding out for the Optimus Black, when I have been reading reviews about it and its a piece of crap. I have been using the MT for over two weeks and yesterday I had some time off so I tried using the OV again and already noticed the differnce in speed and screen quality. I can actually see the pixels on the OV! Never noticed it before. It was much slower even when I OC it to 806mhz. I tried playing this wmv files from network through wifi sitting next to the router and the OV lags and out of sync. Tried the same files on the MT and it played it flawlessly. I'm reading a thread over at android forum and they have found a fix for the GPS not locking on fast enough, they said the fix is making lock on instant or near it and can even lock on in buildings...My MT doesn't have the GPS lock on problem so I might not even apply that fix. Also from what I'm noticing the reception on my MT is actually getting better after i activated the wifi usage, so the radios might need to get warmed up...who knows, but I'm definitely keeping the MT, cannot go back to the slower and worser PQ OV.

Oh by the way I got the MT for $160 at BestBuyMobile after discount and gift card. Same price as I paid for the OV when it first came out.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Oh by the way I got the MT for $160 at BestBuyMobile after discount and gift card. Same price as I paid for the OV when it first came out.
/golfclap?

You got lucky I guess.
Im seeing more not likes then likes.

Why are you here again? If your Optimus is not as good as your Triumph?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze