ways to reduce usage of 3g

zachary.rafferty

May 21, 2011
Visit site
There are a multitude of ways to reduce your use of 3g. Now with the 2.5 Gb speed cap we should become aware of these things. So...

1. Download or buy 3g watchdog, and for sake of idea of usage set it to 2.5 Gb

2.if you're using aosp cm7, long press the screen and add the power control widget and customize it to turn on and of 3g. so when your not using 3g for anything, turn it off. This also saves alot of battery power.

3. If your not running a rom with a customizable power control just download the power control widget off the market and set it as described in step 2

4. USE WIFI AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE! If you have wifi at home turn off 3g and use your wifi for anything if your just bumming around your house, use wifi!

5.download music you want, therefore you don't have to stream music. Either buy your music, or use music junk, just don't blame me if you get caught ;)

6. Change social media update intervals and widget update.intervals. if you have a widget that updates info every so-often change the update time so instead of say every 5 mins it updates every 30mins for example.

7. Tethering, just don't even bother anymore, unless absolutely necessary...wayyyy too data consuming.

8.just generally cut down on 3g usage, economize people :)

I hope this helps you guys stay under the data cap :)

zachary.rafferty

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Alot of people use Pandora on commutes to work so say 30 minutee drive each way that's an hour a day, one hour or more of Pandora a day for 30days will most likely set you over the cap.

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
its hard to hit that cap just using the phone alone unless you constantly watch netflix or pandora over 3G, and even then depending on your use youll most likely just get close to the cap.

and when you hit the cap, your speeds get slowed. its not like your SOL for the rest of the month.

I've found that when I use 3G outside of the house, and my WiFi when I'm inside, my average data use comes far below the cap

and when I use 3G only, I can average 3 to 4GB, but I happen to watch an extreme amount of netflix and since I have a massive SD card, sometimes ill set the phone to download a big file overnight and transfer to my PC since the home internet is usually being used up at night from the other people on it (torrenters in my house)

wagonburner

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I agree I go thru about 5 gigs of data on my laptop being constantly on it on my phone I mainly just browse with some light tethering and my speeds get so slow I don't think I would notice if I was being throttled.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agentirish