Gingerbread update getting close?

Whyzor

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
The whole "Sprint is releasing Optimus S with Gingerbread" was a mistake on Sprint's website, has been for a few months now. I don't think there's any NEW news about this. In the meantime use the IHO CM7.1 Gingerbread compiled from sources. I think the only real difference it's using an older kernel that LG released for Froyo instead of a newer one that an official Gingerbread may have.

cbill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Whyzor:

Perhaps you are right, but I did not get the same impression that you have. These are not thread comments from months ago.

The comments are from persons who have recently contacted the Sprint development people, as well as the local stores, and based on the info they received (including a memo directly from Sprint Development as I recall) feel there were indications that something is in the wind.

I will be watching this closely over the next month or two, especially in view of the fact that it might have some impact on decisions relating to the release of the Optimus Black; as that is where my true interest is. Thanks for your comments. Since I am rooted I will seriously consider your recommendation.

Cbill

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
software is not the manufacturers top priority. as long as it runs and most of the functions work, its ready to ship and its out of their hands.

Virgin already said they had no way to roll out an upgrade to current Vs over the air. anyone wanting the upgrade would have to wait until it was hacked and made available on forums, then have to be rooted to install it.

and besides, some good 2.3.4 ROMs already exist for the V. I gave up waiting for the official rom becuase I've been using gingerbread for the past few months already

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
We just had the Triumph out.
LG can't make even a simple update work.
Virgin said they can't update it.
We never got a 2.2.2 update
The Black is next in line (supposedly)...

Sorry, but we will NEVER see an official GB upgrade to our phones.
Even if we get it, it will be on new phones, not an upgrade. With the Black coming, unless they plan on lowering the OV's price and sliding in the Black above it, we may never even see an OV with GB at all.

Reactions: cbill

bjones72751

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
software is not the manufacturers top priority. as long as it runs and most of the functions work, its ready to ship and its out of their hands.

Virgin already said they had no way to roll out an upgrade to current Vs over the air. anyone wanting the upgrade would have to wait until it was hacked and made available on forums, then have to be rooted to install it.

and besides, some good 2.3.4 ROMs already exist for the V. I gave up waiting for the official rom becuase I've been using gingerbread for the past few months already

Why can't they roll out an ota update? They did for the intercept.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

Whyzor

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site

Maybe the Intercept needed an update more badly? We should all complain to Virgin Mobile's official channels to get an official Gingerbread update, they may need a bit of a push, or at least to confirm whether it's coming or not.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

I think it is something not hard coded to allow our phones to accept the update.
Although they could do a market style update like has been done in the past for other models.

My thoughts are this. We are going to see more and more of phones not getting updates. Why should manufacturers update? They are releasing phone so fast that they dont really need to. In their eyes and minds why update and have compatibility issues when you can just release a new phone and call it good.

I dont think we will see the GB update soley because there is no need in it. VM has phones on the table to release and that have been released that have people oohing and awwwing that they are forgetting that "new cutting edge" device is still running a outdated OS.

Reactions: cbill

cbill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Thanks All for your informative comments. Obviously, in view of your collective opinions, there is good reason to consider the options rooting provides, inspite of the potential pitfalls.

Cbill

cr42ydude

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
dam i remember when i first got this phone.. it was liek "this phone has froyo? not alot of phones have that .. its sooo cool... now its liek dude when r u updating..

Whyzor

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Well, if manufacturers aren't going to officially update, then the shipping OS becomes even more critical (Optimus Black shipping with Froyo and not being updated would be a HUGE negative for potential buyers). But then again LG promising to release an update is also different than VM pushing those updates out (our current situation). The least they could do is have unlocked bootloaders and release the source code quickly so Cyanogenmod or other amateur developers could bring the devices up-to-date. LG, VM, are you listening?

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Dont take what I posted as something said from a manufacturers statement. Its my speculation based on the current trend and past track records of the various device makers.

rdetre11

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Looks like the optimus v is getting gingerbread afterall. :)

Android 2.3 (Gingerbread)
On December 8, 2010 LG announced that it would need to study the Gingerbread Compatibility Definition Document and the public branch open source code before it could determine if the Optimus One series could be upgraded to Android 2.3 Gingerbread.[19] However, on December 9, 2010, LG stated that it will update Optimus One devices to Android 2.3 Gingerbread, but a date for the upgrade was not specified.[2] Responding to a question posted on LG India's Facebook page on March 16, 2011, an LG representative initially stated that the Android 2.3 Gingerbread update will be available in late May via the Android Market, but hours later added that the upgrade is not confirmed and the information is subject to change.[20]

The following details the history of the Gingerbread update rollout:

The first country to receive the update was Romania. [21]
This was followed by Russia, Brazil and the rest of the world soon after, according to LG's Facebook page. [22]
On August 28, 2011, the update for LG Optimus One has started rolling out on various parts of the world.[23]
On September 14, 2011, the update for American provider Sprint's LG Optimus S was issued.
On September 27, 2011, this update was halted because it caused multiple issues for users.[24]
On November 8, 2011, the update was released for the Canadian provider Telus Mobility and its brand Koodo Mobile to all customers with the LG Optimus One P500h.[25]
On December 4, 2011, Virgin Mobile USA announced the LG Optimus V, will be getting Android 2.3.4 or 2.3.5 Gingerbread in mid 2012.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
On December 4, 2011, Virgin Mobile USA announced the LG Optimus V, will be getting Android 2.3.4 or 2.3.5 Gingerbread in mid 2012.

The fact that Virgin announced it pretty much means YOU won't.
You will have to buy an updated phone to get it, on the plus side, it will be cheap.

Whyzor

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
What's the point, by mid 2012, phones should be on ICS already, or new phones will come out with them. Also by the record of Optimus S Gingerbread, the update wasn't very good. Just give us Optimus Black, most people would be happy to pay a little more for faster hardware and updated OS.

jdcnosse

May 11, 2011
Visit site
What's the point, by mid 2012, phones should be on ICS already

This. To me, gingerbread finally arriving on phones in mid 2011 is like shipping computers with XP now. By mid 2012 most phones will have ICS and I assume a majority of whatever there may will probably bee fixed.

On the plus side, if we can reverse engineer it we can use the GB kernel and drivers lol

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I really doubt most will be on ICS by then. Android lags in that manner since there is nothing pushing them to invest more as carriers really don't care.

I'm hoping for the Black.
If they haven't announced by January, I'm going to start looking at changing carriers. Based on previous releases we should hear something any day now. If we don't hear of a new phone this month (or at least good rumors), expect another 6-9 months before another is announced. At which point what can we expect? Remember, Virgin just guaranteed they intend to keep selling the OV for at least another year (which is smart, but still).