1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default An (ex) programmer's reflections on my first smartphone

My budget allows for an Optimus V, possibly a Triumph so I have both still within the 30 day return window... The OV is the currently favorite.

The Optimus works very nicely. The Triumph ain't there yet: never a GPS lock, screen is clumsy, I might return it a few times if I can get one that works.

The stock apps are all kind of playskool buggy crap! I guess to waste your time so you don't return it? idk WTF...

This BS of not having root... like, if I bought a car, would they give me the keys and not tell me when I had to be home by? I feel like I'm in high school again... not quite an adult. hehehe

Anyway, I'm looking to try to realize the power of this hardware before I get fed up and return everything and say f*** it...

I need an email app which can ideally mirror my desktop IMAP or POP service without abadonning my email address. K9? With folders, a simple filter?

The stock contact mgr imports my few hundred contacts->to cvs file->to vcards and continues to show no contacts. Is there an app that works? youlu?

I'd like to sync pictures, files, etc. ideally automatically when I get a home wifi connect?... do I have to set up a funambol server to do all this? What a PITA.

I need a really flexible call blocker/mgr. Ring controls by area code.The scum of the earth shamelessly shutdown my sexual assault helpline with their telemarketing bull****. I would like to brand their foreheads with a red hot iron....

Allan

ROM
    LiquidSmooth JB(4.1.2) RC

For your IMAP/POP needs you could use exec assist. There is an add-on which adds IMAP/POP support. If I'm not mistaken, K9 does this as well...

As far as choosing the best device to fit YOUR needs, well that depends on how you use it most. You have to weigh your pros and cons very carefully...

The OV is smaller, lighter, and more stable. On the other hand, the triumph is more powerful, boasts a better screen size/resolution...

As far as features go, you are really not looking at too much of a difference.

Hope this helps you out bud..

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

Default Re: An (ex) programmer's reflections on my first smartphone

Something I have read about the Triumph is that they come installed with 2 screen protectors and people have peeled them both off and reported their touchscreen problems going away. I am sure you can buy an aftermarket screen protector that will work better if you're worried about the protection.
    Daydream Believer

ROM
    Victorious

If you don't mind using gmail, all your contacts will sync automatically, and all your pics and files can be synced via gmail's picasa for images and dropbox for files.

I use K9 for IMAP with my email. It mirrors my folders great. I have a google account that I store my contacts in and have a Picasa account in. That sync/backs up my contacts and calendar and allows me to upload my pictures if I want.

Depending on your setup, if you want to sync your pictures and other files when you get to your home wifi, you might look at rsync for android. I use it to sync my titanium backups and other files off my sdcard to my home Linux server. When I get home, just tap Rsync on my phone, pick the backup job I want and it takes care of it for me.

As for buggy apps, it really varies. The built in GMail app is fairly nice I think for gmail accounts, but the built in Email account for non-google accounts is junk. K9 is a really nice replacement for non-gmail accounts though and the IMAP support is great.

The Google+ app can upload all your pics automatically to a private web album, and there's a setting to upload on wifi only.

I made all of the email sync stuff throught gmail account some time ago with G1, since gmail is already on the phone and works the best in terms of resources, but k-9 is good too if you prefer not to expose your info to google servers. If you wan't to save traffic on large files sync, just use droidwall to block traffic through 3g.