Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How to check for bad esn?

Someone on craigslist is selling a like new optimus v for 60$ for the phone only no accesories. I already contacted them and they said they found the phone and tried to find owner but gave up. They sent me pics of it and it showed the home screen with all the vm icons and the home tips widget (just had a factory reset). Question is once I get the phone in my hands, how can I check if it has a good or bad esn before buying it? I think it might of been stolen or something. Price is pretty cheap. Any ideas? Thanks.

Default Re: How to check for bad esn?

go see it in person, pull out YOUR phone. call virgin mobile customer service and say you want to check a esn. do NOT tell them your buying a used phone. dodge their questions. they dont need to know any of that, and ive heard they will refuse to check the esn if you tell them your buying a used phone.

do it on the spot in front of the person and make sure everything checks out before you hand over any cash.

edit*

if the ESN is bad, tell the guy, let him know its pretty much worthless, and see if hell take 5 or 10 bucks, becuase it will make a really cool little wifi internet device and ipod replacement.
    Simply Winning

ROM
    TDM/ICS/CM9/Harmonia3

Get the ESN from the seller before you meet with them, and then enter it into this ESN checking website.

I found this site on a sticky over at HoFo, and it worked great for me once when even trading phones with someone:

CheckESNFree.com : The only instant, free, online ESN Checker
    Thanked by:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by mustafu View Post
    Get the ESN from the seller before you meet with them, and then enter it into this ESN checking website.

I found this site on a sticky over at HoFo, and it worked great for me once when even trading phones with someone:

CheckESNFree.com : The only instant, free, online ESN Checker
    This is probably a dumb question but how do I get the esn? Where do I find it? I select sprint on the esn checker site? Thanks.
    Simply Winning

ROM
    TDM/ICS/CM9/Harmonia3

Yes, select Sprint on the site. Contact the person selling the phone, they have the ESN.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by mustafu View Post
    Yes, select Sprint on the site. Contact the person selling the phone, they have the ESN.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk
    I want to try it out on my phone. How can I get my own esn?
    Derp

Global Posts
    78 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by israelsalinas14 View Post
    I want to try it out on my phone. How can I get my own esn?
    Pull the battery and look at the back of the phone.