• 1 Post By wagonburner
  • 1 Post By pre
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICSandwich

Question Screen Size on Optimus V

Im planning to buy an Optimus V and use a custom ROM and make it my laptop substitute...my question is: " Is the screen size on the OV large enough for use of productivity apps? such as those Office apps...............i was considering the Triumph but its been having slow 3G speeds lately and there isnt a ROM released that would give it extended battery life like the IHO on the OV

Default Re: Screen Size on Optimus V

I can't say I would like to stare at this screen and do work with productivity apps. I already have problems if I stare at this thing for too long with some games. Not saying the screen sucks at all but the size does force me to focus at an abnormal point. Could just be my eyes going but that is my experience. So I am going to get a wifi tablet to tether to my OV for anything of that nature.

it wont replace a laptop for MOST people.

best option is to buy the V and try it out and see how you like it.

it replaced MY laptop becuase the things i do on a laptop can be done on a phone. but this phone will never replace my big bad gaming desktop pc. and thats where i have the productivity stuff going on.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICSandwich

Smile Re: Screen Size on Optimus V

Quote Originally Posted by watskyhotsky View Post
    it wont replace a laptop for MOST people.

best option is to buy the V and try it out and see how you like it.

it replaced MY laptop becuase the things i do on a laptop can be done on a phone. but this phone will never replace my big bad gaming desktop pc. and thats where i have the productivity stuff going on.
    Of course... thank you
    SAMLOKA

its a good size ( same size as iphone if i remember correctly) but it does leave you wanting more, for me at least. I say this because the screen may not be huge but the v has great things going for it. With gingerbread (IHO) + robust processor and its own graphics processor, great battery life (for me) all this with a great plan..I feel like im getting away with murder hehe ..
    Thanked by:
    bdieu17 likes this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICSandwich

Quote Originally Posted by notown View Post
    its a good size ( same size as iphone if i remember correctly) but it does leave you wanting more, for me at least. I say this because the screen may not be huge but the v has great things going for it. With gingerbread (IHO) + robust processor and its own graphics processor, great battery life (for me) all this with a great plan..I feel like im getting away with murder hehe ..
    much appreciation.... the OV does kick ***

OV has same resolution as 1-3rd gen iPhones. 320x480. but the actual size of the screen is 3.2 versus iPhones 3.5 seems miniscule but when compared side by side the difference is readily noticable and has a significant impact on seemingly minor things like text entry.
    bdieu17 likes this.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICSandwich

Quote Originally Posted by watskyhotsky View Post
    OV has same resolution as 1-3rd gen iPhones. 320x480. but the actual size of the screen is 3.2 versus iPhones 3.5 seems miniscule but when compared side by side the difference is readily noticable and has a significant impact on seemingly minor things like text entry.
    but you are still fully satisfied with your OV? right ?

Quote Originally Posted by bdieu17 View Post
    but you are still fully satisfied with your OV? right ?
    define "fully satisfied"

it does what I want it to.

some other devices to that stuff better, some do it worse. i dont have anything to complain about but id jump ship to a bigger better faster phone in a heartbeat, and from that to the next, and on and on.

in my mind, to be "fully satisfied" is to not want anything else. but i always lust after the newest tech, so i guess no it doesnt fully satisfy me. it just does what I want until I can get something that does what i want even faster.

haha
    bdieu17 likes this.

I'm pretty satisfied with the v. I have come to pretty much replace my laptop because most things i do on a laptop i can do just as easy if not easier on my phone...except flash that's the only thing different really. Hell I wish when I built a Athlon based system brand new back in the day that my system ran as fast or smooth as the v.
    Thanked by:
    bdieu17 likes this.
    pre

Quote Originally Posted by bdieu17 View Post
    Im planning to buy an Optimus V and use a custom ROM and make it my laptop substitute...my question is: " Is the screen size on the OV large enough for use of productivity apps? such as those Office apps...............i was considering the Triumph but its been having slow 3G speeds lately and there isnt a ROM released that would give it extended battery life like the IHO on the OV
    I email on the Optimus V just about every day, have reviewed Word/Powerpoint/PDF files on it, as well as edited a few Excel spreadsheets... I use it most frequently for reading the news (with the excellent RSS app Pure News in conjunction with Opera browser), and am generally quite satisfied with the VMUSA/Sprint network.

I avoid emailing on it if time allows, but sometimes it's unavoidable. I use the SwipeIt keyboard app and it makes typing significantly faster -- the recognition dictionary/engine is quite good -- than entering one letter at a time. Unfortunately, with the screen size/resolution, the keyboard consumes a good 1/2 of the screen, which forces me to scroll around frequently.

Having played around with the Triumph, I would have gladly 'upgraded', but the issues with connectivity, responsiveness, and other small things (blue tint, battery life, GPS) just far outweighed the benefits of a larger screen and faster hardware.

At the end of the day, it depends on your usage, but for me, a non-gamer, no cell phone (yet on the market) can replace a computer.
    Thanked by:
    bdieu17 likes this.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICSandwich

Talking Re: Screen Size on Optimus V

Quote Originally Posted by pre View Post
    I email on the Optimus V just about every day, have reviewed Word/Powerpoint/PDF files on it, as well as edited a few Excel spreadsheets... I use it most frequently for reading the news (with the excellent RSS app Pure News in conjunction with Opera browser), and am generally quite satisfied with the VMUSA/Sprint network.

I avoid emailing on it if time allows, but sometimes it's unavoidable. I use the SwipeIt keyboard app and it makes typing significantly faster -- the recognition dictionary/engine is quite good -- than entering one letter at a time. Unfortunately, with the screen size/resolution, the keyboard consumes a good 1/2 of the screen, which forces me to scroll around frequently.

Having played around with the Triumph, I would have gladly 'upgraded', but the issues with connectivity, responsiveness, and other small things (blue tint, battery life, GPS) just far outweighed the benefits of a larger screen and faster hardware.

At the end of the day, it depends on your usage, but for me, a non-gamer, no cell phone (yet on the market) can replace a computer.
    thats the answer i was looking for