Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By watskyhotsky
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Antivirus?

Does anyone here run any antivirus software on their Ov? Coming from a crackberry I never worried about it but now on android I read 76% of users are suceptible to malware. Any thoughts?

Default Re: Antivirus?

its not an issue. just be mindful of the apps you download. people can create apps that are malicious and upload them to the market under a false name and people will download it. read the reviews and stick to the well known apps by good developers.

i think the virus thing is overblown, its a fairly secure OS save for a user-installed malicious app. its up to you to make sure your safe, not some antivirus app.
    Kreatur3 likes this.

Where did you see the 76% number? I did a Google search for it and all I could find is that Android malware was up 76%, not that 76% were vulnerable. That 76% increase as well means that there have now been 44 infected programs found out there for Android. Most of the infected programs have been from non-market sources. That is to say, they are from installing apks from random sites by downloading and installing, not from installing things through the market.

I think like the other poster said, if you stick to things from the market (or amazon's appstore) and read the reviews to make sure they are generally positive before installing, you should be fine.

antivirus on an open source system is a joke at best. Anyone can work around it.

However, a little protection is better then no protection.

Lookout Mobile Security
    scans for known viruses and malware, they are usually up to date but nothing is fail proof. Always check your permissions. Why does a flashlight app need to make a call or see contacts or text messages
    LG Optimus V - CM 9.1 BobZ
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I saw the 76% in an article on cnet, I don't use antivirus either but I'm pretty picky about what gets loaded to my phone. Some of the permissions are pretty confusing even for legit programs.

Quote Originally Posted by wagonburner View Post
    I saw the 76% in an article on cnet, I don't use antivirus either but I'm pretty picky about what gets loaded to my phone. Some of the permissions are pretty confusing even for legit programs.
    Thats a 76 percent increase not 76 percent of people get a virus. I think there have been a little over 100 viruses total and all of them ate always removed from the market within a day or so.

---
    - Sent from my LG Optimus V using Tapatalk

The 76% thing is from an article released back in early 2010 and stated that at that time roughly 76% of android user were still using pre-2.2.1 which was still vulnerable to DroidDream and has been reiterated over and over to cover any subject about viruses on any Android platform.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Actually no but It is from this article dated the 24 of this month on cnet It was a pretty good read.

Global Posts
    1,575 Global Posts
    ROM
    Some arrogant a-holes

zedorda I would like to see the article from early 2010. Because 2.2.1 wasnt released until late 2010. I think you have the dates mixed up. Droiddream was early THIS year.
    Frugal Nerd Tinkerer

Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    ROM
    Rooted, leaned out stock

Just keep a backup of a known good configuration, then go nuclear if you have issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Eollie View Post
    zedorda I would like to see the article from early 2010. Because 2.2.1 wasnt released until late 2010. I think you have the dates mixed up. Droiddream was early THIS year.
    Your likely right I am bad at long term memory. I bet it was this year but since i read it I have seen it in afew other articles just with a different spin on it. Sorry these are in magazines not on the net that I know of. I will have to ask my wife where they are if u want which one it was from and the date.