Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question Battery completely discharging overnight

Hello. My wife and I have had an Optimus V for a few months now. The battery drain has always been an issue, and I've read a bit about how to compensate for that. However, the last 2 times we've plugged the phone in to charge it overnight, when we go to use it, the battery is completely discharged. WHen checking it before bed, it will say its charging, however. Could this be because we leave it on when charging it? We thought it was a bad battery the first time, and bought a new one -but the new battery has done the same thing now.

Please help.

-C

Default Re: Battery completely discharging overnight

I am obviously not an expert, but according to this site, you do not need to turn off the phone before charging the battery: How to Make Your Cell Phone Battery Last Longer - wikiHow

Quote from Tips section: "You should not have to turn off your phone to charge it. Most battery chargers deliver more than enough current to power your phone and charge it at the same time. Doing so will not lengthen the charge time, and leaving a phone on allows the user to be aware of its fuel gauge, so that you can remove it when the battery is full."

I have wondered about that myself...

If the battery completely discharges overnight when it is supposedly being charged, and the same thing is happening with a brand new battery, then I would think there is something wrong with your phone or with your charger. Hopefully someone with a lot more experience will chime in here for you.

Holly

my phone was doing this a few days ago, it was really scaring me becuase i cant afford a new battery or charger right now.

it took me 2 days to realize that there was dried up moisture on the gold plated contacts that touch the battery when you plug it in. i cleaned them with a alcohol q-tip and cleaned the battery contacts and the problem stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by watskyhotsky View Post
    my phone was doing this a few days ago, it was really scaring me becuase i cant afford a new battery or charger right now.

it took me 2 days to realize that there was dried up moisture on the gold plated contacts that touch the battery when you plug it in. i cleaned them with a alcohol q-tip and cleaned the battery contacts and the problem stopped.
    Quick, easy fix! Hopefully the OP will see this and give it a try.

Holly

Quote Originally Posted by cacambo43 View Post
    Hello. My wife and I have had an Optimus V for a few months now. The battery drain has always been an issue, and I've read a bit about how to compensate for that. However, the last 2 times we've plugged the phone in to charge it overnight, when we go to use it, the battery is completely discharged. WHen checking it before bed, it will say its charging, however. Could this be because we leave it on when charging it? We thought it was a bad battery the first time, and bought a new one -but the new battery has done the same thing now.

-C
    Do you put it in airplane mode and then take it out any time you boot the phone? (just hold the power button for 2 seconds to get the menu for that.) Since I taught my family to do that we've had no battery trouble on all three of our OV phones.

Michael