Calls automatically hanging up

Prince_Poppycock

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Got a question. I did a search but nothing fit the situation.

My husband's phone just recently has been automatically hanging up on his phone calls and going straight to the lock screen. He's had the phone for almost a month and this is the first time that it's happened. Does anyone know what the problem could be? Thanks for any help!

Retorrent

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for responding! It's a stock phone.

Ok then more then likely its the sensor going bad. Only reason I asked about the ROM is because sometimes the custom ones (mostly older ones) have issues with the proximity sensor acting a little wonkey. Or could just be that VM is having a service outage.

Prince_Poppycock

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I think we've determined it is possibly signal strength. Is there anyway to try to boost signal strength? Anything that can be done with the phone? Or should we try to return and exchange it? Thanks for any help!

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I think we've determined it is possibly signal strength. Is there anyway to try to boost signal strength? Anything that can be done with the phone? Or should we try to return and exchange it? Thanks for any help!
I dont think its from poor signal. If you lose signal your phone shouldnt ever automatically lock. If the screen is locking its because the proximity sensor isnt seeing his face and not locking the phone. On the left side of the Virgin Mobile logo is two sensors. They bounce a beam off your face to see if your face is close so you dont push buttons with your cheek. While the proximity sensor is triggered it will not lock the phone. Only after it is not activated will it allow the phone to lock the screen.

IIRC even some stock phones had a "bug" that would cause the proximity sensor to not activate because of a setting in the build.prop. Installing a newer custom rom "should" fix this. Sending it back for a replacement would be the best idea if your not comfortable with rooting and installing a rom.

Prince_Poppycock

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I dont think its from poor signal. If you lose signal your phone shouldnt ever automatically lock. If the screen is locking its because the proximity sensor isnt seeing his face and not locking the phone. On the left side of the Virgin Mobile logo is two sensors. They bounce a beam off your face to see if your face is close so you dont push buttons with your cheek. While the proximity sensor is triggered it will not lock the phone. Only after it is not activated will it allow the phone to lock the screen.

IIRC even some stock phones had a "bug" that would cause the proximity sensor to not activate because of a setting in the build.prop. Installing a newer custom rom "should" fix this. Sending it back for a replacement would be the best idea if your not comfortable with rooting and installing a rom.

I just this post now. Thanks for the help! I think we might try returning it first and if that doesn't fix the problem then I will try rooting. Thanks again!

ETA: I also think it might be the way he holds the phone. I have never had a dropped call with mine and he's been dropping his a lot. sometimes it lasts 5 minutes and sometimes it lasts 20 minutes before the call drops. he tried my phone and it dropped on him as well.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I just this post now. Thanks for the help! I think we might try returning it first and if that doesn't fix the problem then I will try rooting. Thanks again!

ETA: I also think it might be the way he holds the phone. I have never had a dropped call with mine and he's been dropping his a lot. sometimes it lasts 5 minutes and sometimes it lasts 20 minutes before the call drops. he tried my phone and it dropped on him as well.

Even if the phone locks it shouldnt drop the call. Has your husband recently been zapped? I have accidently hit the lock button before while talking with my ex and I could still here the blah blah blah going on.

Prince_Poppycock

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Even if the phone locks it shouldnt drop the call. Has your husband recently been zapped? I have accidently hit the lock button before while talking with my ex and I could still here the blah blah blah going on.

Zapped as in shocked? No that i am aware of. Is it possible to hold the phone wrong? He's always moving i around and resting it on his shoulder as he talks.

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I occasionally have a similar problem. My phone locks or blinks black while I am still using it and touching it to look at stuff or go back to a call. I have to keep on unlocking it or hitting "home"

That and the calls occasionally just randomly hang up. One night 5xs in a row on my friend my phone hung up. I wonder if THAT problem is related to the issue with mms. I have a 2 year warranty from Best Buy maybe I should get some use out of the warranty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez