wallpaper size

jdcnosse

May 11, 2011
Visit site
So I looked through all the other threads but I wasn't sure as some phones have a different screen size/different resolution, and I looked online and got some conflicting reports as if it should be twice the screen width, three times, etc etc.

So what is the appropriate size for the OV for a wallpaper?

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
640x480 like the above poster said. it puts the vertical pixels at a 1:1 match to the lcd screen, and the horizontal width allows for the homescreen sliding.

youll notice when you choose a wallpaper for the screen, that orange box lets you choose what part of the picture will be the wallpaper, but it only ever lets you cut a 4:3 aspect ratio out of the pic. thats becuase of how android calculates how much to scroll the wallpaper side to side when switching homescreens. cant do much about that.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
640x480 like the above poster said. it puts the vertical pixels at a 1:1 match to the lcd screen, and the horizontal width allows for the homescreen sliding.

youll notice when you choose a wallpaper for the screen, that orange box lets you choose what part of the picture will be the wallpaper, but it only ever lets you cut a 4:3 aspect ratio out of the pic. thats becuase of how android calculates how much to scroll the wallpaper side to side when switching homescreens. cant do much about that.

There use to be a post/thread here I think regarding this. The poster tried to create a exact 640x480 image and use it as his wallpaper and no matter how many times he tried it would crap the image to be slightly smaller then the 640x480. He then enlarged it lightly to be able to use the wall paper properly and Even tho his original image didnt look "stretched" the wallpaper on his phone did.

Ive never been able to get the perfect fit myself. If you dont use the wallpaper scroll feature it will "scrunch" the picture and be funky looking. If you do use the scroll feature it seems to never center properly or zooms way too much.

Now this is mostly only with the Optimus phone. My DX and my friends Thunderbolt dont do that. if you load a size proportionate picture it will not have these issues. Also I never noticed it on stock rom either. Who knows.

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
There use to be a post/thread here I think regarding this. The poster tried to create a exact 640x480 image and use it as his wallpaper and no matter how many times he tried it would crap the image to be slightly smaller then the 640x480. He then enlarged it lightly to be able to use the wall paper properly and Even tho his original image didnt look "stretched" the wallpaper on his phone did.

Ive never been able to get the perfect fit myself. If you dont use the wallpaper scroll feature it will "scrunch" the picture and be funky looking. If you do use the scroll feature it seems to never center properly or zooms way too much.

Now this is mostly only with the Optimus phone. My DX and my friends Thunderbolt dont do that. if you load a size proportionate picture it will not have these issues. Also I never noticed it on stock rom either. Who knows.

hmm. the only time I experienced that was when I wasnt dragging the orange box far enough. its a big hard for me to get it all the way out to the edge of the picture but when i do its a 1:1 match. no stretching or shrinking at all.

and yes there was another thread here about it but im not going to be the guy to say he should have searched. lol

jdcnosse

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Well to be honest I did search...just not hard enough haha (I searched the whole forum, and using google...but never occurred to me to only search the OV forums)

Nonetheless I got the right size and it doesn't look stretched at all. I was just curious because the only other wallpaper I had on my phone was 954x800 I think but obviously it got cropped down

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Well to be honest I did search...just not hard enough haha (I searched the whole forum, and using google...but never occurred to me to only search the OV forums)

Nonetheless I got the right size and it doesn't look stretched at all. I was just curious because the only other wallpaper I had on my phone was 954x800 I think but obviously it got cropped down

it wont look stretched becuase it only ever allows you to select a 4:3 aspect sized piece of the wallpaper. it wont stretch it in any way.

if you select an image thats smaller than 640x480 it will zoom it in to fill the pixels on the screen. but wont stretch it abnormally in any one direction.

if you put a picture larger than 640x480 the phone will resample it down to 640x480 and it should look alright unless it had a lot of really fine detail, those would be lost.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
hmm. the only time I experienced that was when I wasnt dragging the orange box far enough. its a big hard for me to get it all the way out to the edge of the picture but when i do its a 1:1 match. no stretching or shrinking at all.

and yes there was another thread here about it but im not going to be the guy to say he should have searched. lol

Oh I wasnt going the use search route, I was just stating that. Trying to find some of the posts/threads can be a pain sometimes. And I have issues finding stuff I know I read here. I use to save posts but lost a bookmark folder a while back.

I have had pictures taken on other devices in a huge reso look absolutely horrible because of the way it would shrink. most of the time I think its because the picture is taller then the screen so it smushes it.

jd there is a app on the market that will autosize pictures for wallpapers. Either way will work I just found when I used the app it was easier to just open it and hit apply once I found the image I wanted to use. Plus for some reason some pictures just wont show up as wallpapers. And that app will "make" them show up.

Reactions: jdcnosse

jdcnosse

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Oh I wasnt going the use search route, I was just stating that. Trying to find some of the posts/threads can be a pain sometimes. And I have issues finding stuff I know I read here. I use to save posts but lost a bookmark folder a while back.

I have had pictures taken on other devices in a huge reso look absolutely horrible because of the way it would shrink. most of the time I think its because the picture is taller then the screen so it smushes it.

jd there is a app on the market that will autosize pictures for wallpapers. Either way will work I just found when I used the app it was easier to just open it and hit apply once I found the image I wanted to use. Plus for some reason some pictures just wont show up as wallpapers. And that app will "make" them show up.

I'll keep it in mind in case the picture doesn't show up. I just wanted the right dimensions because I hand-made the wallpaper through GIMP at 1280x960 first (so it was a little easier to make) then manually resized it down to 640x480, and learned some valuable information (such as the status bar at the top takes up 25 pixels when the vertical height of the image is 480px)