LG Optimus Slider

OakIris

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
Yes, you can achieve the 'same speed' on the OV, however, this does have a 200mhz faster base speed, so logic dictates with an overclock if I can get my OV to 800mhz stable, I can probably get the Slider up to 1ghz. I know that my next phone has to have a keyboard, I've given touch typing and swyping plenty of time and chances and I just don't like it. It's the only problem I have with my OV is having to correct literally almost every word swyping and the constant fighting with typing on a flat surface.

Edit -- the Slider has a 600mhz as well? I thought it was 800. Virgin's press release doesn't list those specs for the Slider. Anyone have any insight on this?

Good catch about the CPU speed mentioned , cole2KB. Here's a quote from the Cnet article linked by one80oneday:
The Android 2.3 Gingerbread handset also has a 3.2-inch touch screen, a 600MHz processor, and a 5-megapixel camera with flash. The phone includes Bluetooth 3.0, GPS, and 3G support.

I think they may have their specs mixed up a bit - note that they also say the camera is a 5MP camera with flash; every thing else I have read about the phone lists it as a 3MP (or 3.2 MP) camera, without a flash. Of course, since all of the articles about the phone are pre-release, who knows what the specs will actually be!

Also a good point that once the devs have managed to do their magic for the rest of us, overclocking the phone will increase its speed past that of the "hacked" OV.

As for the keyboard, I don't yet have experience with the "virtual" keyboard of a smartphone, so I don't know if I need the physical keyboard or not. I sure like having the hardware keyboard on my current non-Android semi-dumb phone. :-\

Holly

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Good catch about the CPU speed mentioned , cole2KB. Here's a quote from the Cnet article linked by one80oneday:

I think they may have their specs mixed up a bit - note that they also say the camera is a 5MP camera with flash; every thing else I have read about the phone lists it as a 3MP (or 3.2 MP) camera, without a flash. Of course, since all of the articles about the phone are pre-release, who knows what the specs will actually be!

Also a good point that once the devs have managed to do their magic for the rest of us, overclocking the phone will increase its speed past that of the "hacked" OV.

As for the keyboard, I don't yet have experience with the "virtual" keyboard of a smartphone, so I don't know if I need the physical keyboard or not. I sure like having the hardware keyboard on my current non-Android semi-dumb phone. :-\

Holly

Before I had a phone with any sort of real keyboard, I thought I needed a physical keyboard. Had an iPhone 4 for a bit, then the Optimus V, and I would never want a physical keyboard now. No need for the extra thickness or weight. And the onscreen keyboard can be replaced, customized, etc.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
The HTC is a 600 mhz phone, the Slider is an 800mhz phone (according to every other site I have seen).

The HTC is way overpriced, it's basically an OV with Sense and HTC's name on it.
Slider is a faster OV, with GB and a keyboard, it's not a god price, but it's not terrible. IF, it's an 800mhz phone.

Expect both to drop $20 by years end, but even then the HTC is still way over priced, it should be closer to $130-140.

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I'll probably wait until tax time to get a new phone unless some unexpected cash comes my way before then, so here's hoping for a $149 Slider by then. I do like the Wildfire because of the better camera though. I dunno. So torn. Because even though I like those two new ones, I love the IDEA of the Triumph (still have yet to hold one in hand.)

jdcnosse

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I have great credit and a steady job (my horn says toot toot) and i just switched from verizon a few months back for price and flexibility. i was fed up with a $180 cell bill for myself and my wife. we jumped just before the increase so our bill is now $80. we both still have android phones and unlimited data. Not sure why i waited as long as i did. I am ashamed that i bought into that bill of goods about vzw being SO much better than the other carriers. They are the Oakley of cell providers - a mediocre product with a premium price thanks to marketing.

Why do we always feel the need to call frugal people cheap or just say they cant afford good things. i am rich by no means, but i can afford verizon, hell i did for years, but now my eyes are open to the money i was wasting there and so many other places. If this makes me cheap then so be it.

to the college student above - you are wiser tham your years. while most people your age are racking up the debt , you realize that if you do not have the money for something you should drop it.

and in this same line of thought, bringing it back to the OP, as much as i want a KB the slider is not enough of a leap in my mind to merit the money. this is even more true for me as my OV is only a few months old.

/rant and i love this forum

Well, if I am to be honest, I do have debt. haha but I learned my lesson quickly.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I'll probably wait until tax time to get a new phone unless some unexpected cash comes my way before then, so here's hoping for a $149 Slider by then. I do like the Wildfire because of the better camera though. I dunno. So torn. Because even though I like those two new ones, I love the IDEA of the Triumph (still have yet to hold one in hand.)

Camera and sound quality is probably better, but that is a nice bit of money just for that.

I'm with R00t on this, a better/newer processor and I could see it being worthwhile, but as it is? No.
If I was in the market for a new phone and saw it, maybe I would, but then I would look over at the OV for half to three quarters the cost, and then at the Slider and scratch my head, wondering what Virgin was thinking.

If I had to replace mine today, I would get a Slider, root it and put Harmonia on it. It's the same price and size as the HTC and OV, but faster AND a keyboard.

The Triumph is LARGE compared to these.
The OB is only a tiny bit smaller, but the hard corners make the Triumph look larger. Here is a scaled picture of the OV, OB (Orange) and Triumph (red) on top of each other. (more about it here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/vi...been-officially-announced-my-guess-one-2.html)
phonesd.jpg

Last edited:

OakIris

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
Hey LeslieAnn, your size comparison graphic seems to have disappeared - can't see it in the linked post, either, though I saw it there when you posted it...

Holly

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
So it looks like straight talk is getting a version of this to go along with the samsung phone they are getting. The specs seem to line up with what was said in the other thread.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
So it looks like straight talk will offer a clone of this for 179.99 that coupled with the $45 plan makes it very much appealing.