So....I managed to disable the internal antenna?

aeroseek

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I was mucking around with the external antenna connector on my OV (yes, it's there) because I travel to an area of "fringe" coverage. I googled some home made antenna ideas and sure enough, I got a signal boost. HOWEVER, sticking that piece of coiled wire into the external antenna connector somehow managed to disable or alter the internal antenna, so now I get zero bars in an area I used to have 5. I'm trying to find a way to undo my screw-up. Strange thing is, even with zero bars, my calls go through crystal clear, as if the signal was there. Maybe only the signal strength indicator is "confused" somehow? Any ideas? Tips? Leads? Google has failed me on this one.

fenrix

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Did you use an actual connector like the kind found in laptops -- it's a tiny round thing & you'd probably have to disassemble your phone to throw the wire in (like in a laptop(lol)) or did you literally stick a wire or strip a connector to avoid having to attach the wire & string it through a hole properly..& signal booster? did you know they sell pretty expensive devices which can be attached to antennas & give you a signal miles away.

you might try buying an actual connnector, and placing copper film around the border inside the phone, connect the connector, strip the opposing end and attach the copper to the housing film literally running as much of it as possible between 2 layers of the film
???? Maybe that will work????
In an Itronix Laptop there is copper film about various locations to enhance it's signal getting
Next time that would be FAR SAFER

Last edited:
Reactions: aeroseek

aeroseek

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
It was basically a coiled up piece of wire, jammed in the hole, lol. Per a youtube video. It worked surprisingly well, minus the whole side effect thing.

Update: I ended up inserting a short, thin wire into the connector, put a piece of electrical tape over it and voila, signal is back. Fenrix, since I've already mangled my phone I just might try your copper strip idea :)

Last edited:

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
The antenna wire needs to be a specific length to get the best performance. The length is usually based on the frequency, and most often is two times the length of the original antenna. But sometimes there are other specifications such as thickness, resistance, etc.

If it works, great, if it doesn't, try googling homemade antenna wire length. ;)

aeroseek

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
The antenna wire needs to be a specific length to get the best performance. The length is usually based on the frequency, and most often is two times the length of the original antenna. But sometimes there are other specifications such as thickness, resistance, etc.

If it works, great, if it doesn't, try googling homemade antenna wire length. ;)

Yeah it works surprisingly well so I will leave it alone. Lucky strike I guess :D

Where is the external antenna connector located on the optimus V? I don't see it.

It's just below (not under) the battery underneath a little tab which you have to remove. Please don't mess around with it unless you want to go through my pains lol

-J

danieljc1

Sith Lord
Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Yeah it works surprisingly well so I will leave it alone. Lucky strike I guess :D

It's just below (not under) the battery underneath a little tab which you have to remove. Please don't mess around with it unless you want to go through my pains lol

-J

Yeah I found it. Wish I hadn't messed with it. Now my phone won't make calls without a small piece of wire inserted in the connector. Live and learn has they say. I would like to see what your wire looks like.

aeroseek

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I found it. Wish I hadn't messed with it. Now my phone won't make calls without a small piece of wire inserted in the connector. Live and learn has they say. I would like to see what your wire looks like.

Oh man, I really wish you hadn't messed with it. Here is what mine looks like.

wire.jpg

Reactions: danieljc1

danieljc1

Sith Lord
Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm using a copper wire that is about has long has the phone itself. I got it from a spare piece of cable wire (the kind you use to run from cable outlet in wall to your cable modem). Seems to work ok for the most part. I read something about others using an external antenna and then removing it and their signal disappearing. Apparently what was happening was when they inserted the external antenna into the external antenna connection and twisted the connector they disconnected the internal connection. To fix it some have tried reinserting the external antenna connector and twisting it back to reconnect the internal connection. I'm not sure I want to mess with mine anymore. I don't want to damage the phone anymore than what I've done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37