using google voice with grove ip

camf3xu

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
ok so ive downloaded google voice and grove ip. not sure how to request a google voice #...
i want to use my normal service when not connected to wifi, but once im on wifi i would like to use grove ip for phone calls.

so looking for info on how to setup/get a #, and set once im connected to wifi to make grove ip(or google voice idk) my default.

much love + thanks towards anyone who can share insight.

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Go to www.google.com/voice to set up Google Voice and get your phone number.

As far as battery usage, I often have GrooVe IP runnin idle all day and haven't seen a difference in my battery drain. So I'd say it's minimal. Little enough to ignore.

camf3xu

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
and after i setup a google voice number, will i have the option to change it, or port over my existing number?

this is my google voice # correct?
Your access number
(313) 355-xxxx

Will you be porting your number to Google Voice or just using your new GV # as a wifi backup/alternative number?

i was planning on switching to the new T-mobile plan and wanted to port over my VM # after i switched. was just trying to get it setup and figure it out before i switched

jdcnosse

May 11, 2011
Visit site
and after i setup a google voice number, will i have the option to change it, or port over my existing number?

this is my google voice # correct?
Your access number
(313) 355-xxxx

i was planning on switching to the new T-mobile plan and wanted to port over my VM # after i switched. was just trying to get it setup and figure it out before i switched

Once you set it up, I believe you get 1 change for free? Or no changes for free. Either way, changing your GV number once it's been assigned is not free lol I do think it's also not free to port your number to GV but I may be mistaken on that as well.

Be advised though once you port your number over, you'll no longer have service, so if you have one of the grandfathered $25 plans...it'll be gone forever

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
What ever u do I wouldn't port ur number over since when u use ur number u will be charged for calls. Use the google voice number and have ur calls from google voice send to google chat or u will be using ur minutes. Also if u don't send incoming call to google chat ur phone won't ring. This will give ur phone 2 numbers one free the other prepaid. Set GooveIP to only use wifi and to always ask which to use per call so if ur on wifi just select GrooveIP after u make the call from what ever dailer u use.

camf3xu

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
ok so i setup my #, it says 1 number will ring both my phones. does that mean when im in wifi it will ring gv and when im in cell service it will ring my normal phone?

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
You can set it up to ring whatever you want, or nothing at all.

In Google Voice settings on the website... www.google.com/voice, there's two ways you can direct your calls in settings.

One, is to forward to Google Chat... This will forward your calls to GrooVe IP, that will come thru either Wifi or 3G, depending on how you have GrooVe IP set up. You need to be logged into GrooVe IP on your phone in order to be ready to receive the forwarded calls.

The second way, is to forward to your phone number, this will forward to your Virgin number, and ring thru your mobile cell network like any normal phone call.

If you have BOTH checked off, your call will get forwarded to BOTH, and your phone will be receiving two calls at once. You may or may not want this. If you do it this way, you can answer it via cell network, or via GrooVe IP. But this seems like a confusing way to go, so I wouldn't recommend it.

Choose one or the other depending on what your needs are at the time.

I made a bookmark to the GV settings page in my phones browser so I could change the setting whenever I needed to right from my phone.

corexero

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
You can set it up to ring whatever you want, or nothing at all.

If you have BOTH checked off, your call will get forwarded to BOTH, and your phone will be receiving two calls at once. You may or may not want this. If you do it this way, you can answer it via cell network, or via GrooVe IP. But this seems like a confusing way to go, so I wouldn't recommend it.

When you get a call on your cell network GroveIP disables itself. I don't think you can get call at the same time from both.

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
When you get a call on your cell network GroveIP disables itself. I don't think you can get call at the same time from both.

I've tested it and I've gotten it to ring on both simultaneously. Perhaps it was a quirk, not sure, but I've done it. I actually had my ringtone ringing twice. The first ring started, with the 2nd ring slightly delayed behind it. Very strange when it happened. lol.

Sent via VM670

Last edited:

corexero

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I've tested it and I've gotten it to ring on both simultaneously. Perhaps it was a quirk, not sure, but I've done it.

Sent via VM670

I haven't tried that myself. I might do it. What I have noticed is that when I receive a regular call the GroveIP icon in the status bar goes from green to red(meaning its disconected/signed out).

Might also be the version of GroveIP.

jdcnosse

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I've tested it and I've gotten it to ring on both simultaneously. Perhaps it was a quirk, not sure, but I've done it.

Sent via VM670

I've gotten it to ring both as well. I do remember seeing somewhere in the settings an option to disable GrooveIP when you get a call through the cell network, but I think this is when you actually answer it

corexero

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I've gotten it to ring both as well. I do remember seeing somewhere in the settings an option to disable GrooveIP when you get a call through the cell network, but I think this is when you actually answer it

Just did a test. What happened was GrooveIP started ringing first, but after a few seconds my regular dialer started to ring, and at that point GroveIP signed out.

I tryed it again, but this time I answer the GroveIP call before the regular call came in, and it connected fine. The regular call never came in.

As soon as the regular call comes in it sings you out of Groove.

camf3xu

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site

this is when they call your... google voice number, or normal phone #.

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
i set up google voice on the PC and got myself a second number that use mostly for texting with the google voice app. I do 90% of my communication through text and being able to text from two different numbers helps me a lot with what I do.

I default settings for google voice allow you to text from the google voice app. and send and receive calls as either your phones number or your google voice number, but both will use your Virgin Mobile minutes.

if someone calls your google voice number, your phone will ring just like your getting any other call, and when you answer it, it will sound and behave like any other phone call. it will even use your Virgin Mobile minutes.

this is just an explanation of the service and how it actually works on the phone, and the default settings. seemed like it would help

im sure you can get it to call over wifi and 3G, but since i dont use that, i dont know how to set it up. someone else will

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34