Selling my OV- Do I need to put stock rom back on it?

Chocu1a

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
I recently switched to Verizon & want to sell my OV. It is currently rooted & running CM7.
Is it necessary to put the original rom back on it? In other words, can someone else activate it if it is not running stock?

Last edited:

jdcnosse

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Re: Selling my OV- Do I need to rut stock rom back on it?

They won't be able to activate it if it's running cm7 as far as I know...but I could be wrong.

I know the activate.apk only works on froyo roms.

Chocu1a

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site

Also, would I just need to put the rom on or would it need the stock recovery, too?

anon(395747)

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site

You should be perfectly fine with just the stock, unrooted ROM and whatever kind of recovery you have on the phone now. Once the stock ROM, after a custom ROM, has been flashed to the phone will work perfectly and as well as the apps that Virgin Mobile adds to it.

They won't be able to activate it if it's running cm7 as far as I know...but I could be wrong.

I know the activate.apk only works on froyo roms.

And to confirm this, yes, the next user won't be able to activate the phone, once the user as switched it to their account, since it is running CM7. The stock ROM has to be installed first so the activate.apk can be ran.

Reactions: Chocu1a

Chocu1a

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I put the stock rom back on it, but did not unroot it.
The activate app is back on it. So, am I still unclear, can it be activated now, with it still rooted?

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I could be wrong but if you don't unroot it then, if whoever buys it ever tries to do a factory reset from the privacy menu wouldn't it brick the phone?

sent from my Optimus V on BACKside IHO

CloudBusterr

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I could be wrong, but I think it only bricks when you Factory Reset from the privacy menu, THEN flash a ROM

Last edited:

riggerman

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
As long as the phone is rooted stock you shouldn't have any problems. However, to be on the safe side, I would recomend putting the stock recovery back on it. If I remember correctly, when you do a factory reset, the system is looking for the stock recovery and the stock image to restore. Better to be safe than sorry. And I would suggest that you let whoever you sell it to know that it is rooted.

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
DO NOT PUT THE STOCK RECOVERY BACK ON A ROOTED PHONE!!!
If the new owner accidentally does something out of ignorance(the phone is still rooted) how is he going to get the phone unbricked. You need to make a backup of the stock ROM before you sell it,and let the buyer know that they can never use the factory reset, and why. It's either all that,or properly unroot the phone.
It would be a far better idea to explain to the new owner the don'ts .and how to use the custom recovery and it's options (especially the restore option).

Last edited:
Reactions: Chocu1a