Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 47
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Republic Wireless has GingerBread Optimus V

    According to the picture of the only phone they offer right now - It is a Optimus V, well the button bezel shows it to be a V but.... it is running a pure Gingerbread out of the box for $99.99!!! Why can't LG offer that to us since it is on that phone already?
    Last edited by bswann; 11-08-2011 at 10:24 AM.
  2. #2  
    Ronin Wolf's Avatar

    Posts
    58 Posts
    ROM
    MiRaGe 4-15-13

    Default Re: Republic Wireless has GingerBread Optimus V

    $99.99?

    Your $199 start-up fee includes an LG Optimus phone with Android 2.3 "Gingerbread" and Hybrid Calling.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Republic Wireless has GingerBread Optimus V

    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Wolf View Post
    $99.99?
    Since I signed up early they gave me a code to enter to get the phone for $99.99 instead of $199.99. The code - welcome19
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Republic Wireless has GingerBread Optimus V

    Actually, the button bezel shows it to be the Optimus S, not the V. Key layout is identical to the S. God help them if they're running the stock ZVH baseband 2.3 version that Sprint put out and then recalled 5 days later.
  5. #5  
    Ticojpunk's Avatar
    Recordist

    Posts
    631 Posts
    ROM
    Peach Sunrise 3.01

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tmeader View Post
    Actually, the button bezel shows it to be the Optimus S, not the V. Key layout is identical to the S. God help them if they're running the stock ZVH baseband 2.3 version that Sprint put out and then recalled 5 days later.
    Exactly, let's 'wait and see' before anyone starts getting envious of this Republic Wireless phone (or the service that comes along with it).

    Sent via VM670
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: Republic Wireless has GingerBread Optimus V

    Quote Originally Posted by tmeader View Post
    Actually, the button bezel shows it to be the Optimus S, not the V. Key layout is identical to the S. God help them if they're running the stock ZVH baseband 2.3 version that Sprint put out and then recalled 5 days later.
    Apparently the S and the V have the same bezel, both have the chrome ring around the buttons. Either way it has a pure GB rom on it, well almost pure since it has Republic's wifi software on it.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Republic Wireless has GingerBread Optimus V

    Quote Originally Posted by bswann View Post
    Apparently the S and the V have the same bezel, both have the chrome ring around the buttons. Either way it has a pure GB rom on it, well almost pure since it has Republic's wifi software on it.
    Same bezel, yes, but the Home and Option keys are swapped between the S and the V. Republic's seems to match the S layout.
  8. #8  
    jdcnosse's Avatar

    Posts
    516 Posts
    ROM
    modified BACKside

    Default Re: Republic Wireless has GingerBread Optimus V

    Here's an article I found about it:

    Most of us are surrounded by Wi-Fi connectivity at work and home, so it makes sense to rely on those cheaper (and much faster) networks. Once you leave a Wi-Fi network, the company’s phones switch to traditional cellular access (relying on Sprint’s network).
    Makes you wonder what kind of crappy service you'll get off Wi-Fi at $19 for unlimited everything. But otherwise this is just a step down from the $25 VM plan with Groove IP.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jdcnosse View Post
    Here's an article I found about it:



    Makes you wonder what kind of crappy service you'll get off Wi-Fi at $19 for unlimited everything. But otherwise this is just a step down from the $25 VM plan with Groove IP.
    True, but unless your an older VM customer you will be paying 35 a month, plus it is supposed to be better wifi calling than using a voip like GrooveIP and the off-wifi service is full Sprint and not leftovers like VM as per a reply I received from Republic.

    Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk
  10. #10  
    Spiral_ouT#AC's Avatar

    Posts
    176 Posts
    ROM
    IHO CM7.2, Honeycomb

    Default Re: Republic Wireless has GingerBread Optimus V

    Quote Originally Posted by bswann View Post
    True, but unless your an older VM customer you will be paying 35 a month, plus it is supposed to be better wifi calling than using a voip like GrooveIP and the off-wifi service is full Sprint and not leftovers like VM as per a reply I received from Republic.

    Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk
    That's what I've read too, that it's full Sprint service when off WiFi.


    The Catch:
    You're not a "customer" when you sign up for their service, you're a "member". That gives them the ability to kick you off of their service at any time if you don't limit your off WiFi usage to what they deem fair.

    What's fair?:

    "While not on Wifi, you're limited to 550 minutes, 150 SMS messages, and 300MB data monthly while on Republic Wireless' 3G network. Go over those numbers, and you've violated Republic's fair use policy"
  11. #11  
    jdcnosse's Avatar

    Posts
    516 Posts
    ROM
    modified BACKside

    Default Re: Republic Wireless has GingerBread Optimus V

    Quote Originally Posted by Spiral_ouT View Post
    That's what I've read too, that it's full Sprint service when off WiFi.


    The Catch:
    You're not a "customer" when you sign up for their service, you're a "member". That gives them the ability to kick you off of their service at any time if you don't limit your off WiFi usage to what they deem fair.

    What's fair?:

    "While not on Wifi, you're limited to 550 minutes, 150 SMS messages, and 300MB data monthly while on Republic Wireless' 3G network. Go over those numbers, and you've violated Republic's fair use policy"
    well for those talkers out there, this is a great deal (as long as you don't go over)

    But for those data/text people like me, we should stick with VM or T-mobile. lol
  12. #12  
    Irate Iguana's Avatar
    Boss Status

    Posts
    157 Posts
    ROM
    CM9

    Default Re: Republic Wireless has GingerBread Optimus V

    150 texts and 300MB of data? DEAL BREAKER!!! Haha I would get kicked off of their network in less than an hour..
    jdcnosse likes this.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

    Default Re: Republic Wireless has GingerBread Optimus V

    Well the whole point of the post was that it had a pure GB Rom on it. If your like me and are around wifi at work and at home then it's not that bad of a deal. The overage doesn't automatically mean they kick you off, they will help you figure out how to not go over.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Republic Wireless has GingerBread Optimus V

    150 texts and 300MB of data? DEAL BREAKER!!! Haha I would get kicked off of their network in less than an hour..
    Port your cell number to Google Voice and do your texting through it using data only... then hang around a lot of open wifi hotspots...

    What about voicemail - do they integrate with Google Voice seamlessly? VMo doesn't let you forward unanswered calls to Google Voice... I'm very interested!
  15. #15  
    jdcnosse's Avatar

    Posts
    516 Posts
    ROM
    modified BACKside

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skealoha86 View Post
    What about voicemail - do they integrate with Google Voice seamlessly? VMo doesn't let you forward unanswered calls to Google Voice... I'm very interested!
    I beg to differ. I have my google voice set up to go to my VM cell and then it goes to google voice. I unfortunately get a VM voicemail with the announce call thing "press 1 to accept, blah blah"

    But it works
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Republic Wireless has GingerBread Optimus V

    They call it unlimited, but they put definitive limits the service. Wow.....sounds like a crap shoot to me!
    jdcnosse likes this.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Republic Wireless has GingerBread Optimus V

    Quote Originally Posted by Irate Iguana View Post
    150 texts and 300MB of data? DEAL BREAKER!!! Haha I would get kicked off of their network in less than an hour..
    Quote Originally Posted by autobotguy View Post
    They call it unlimited, but they put definitive limits the service. Wow.....sounds like a crap shoot to me!
    Agreed, plus after taxes it comes out to be the same amount as I pay for VM although I'm planning to switch to the new Tmo plan anyway cus these data speeds kill me
    Google+ Devices: HTC Mogul, Touch, TP, TP2, Samsung Moment & Intercept, Motorola Triumph, LG Optimus V & Slider, Nook, Iconia Tab, HTC Sensation
  18. #18  
    Whyzor's Avatar

    Posts
    406 Posts
    ROM
    HyperNonSense ICS

    Default Re: Republic Wireless has GingerBread Optimus V

    Quote Originally Posted by jdcnosse View Post
    I beg to differ. I have my google voice set up to go to my VM cell and then it goes to google voice. I unfortunately get a VM voicemail with the announce call thing "press 1 to accept, blah blah"

    But it works
    There's a workaround for this. Just set your VM outgoing greeting to a minute long (I just use recorded music), GV will keep ringing and your VM voicemail should never pick up if someone calls your GV number.
  19. #19  
    MasterTec's Avatar

    Posts
    167 Posts
    ROM
    Harmonia 2.08 & Mobster

    Default Re: Republic Wireless has GingerBread Optimus V

    Quote Originally Posted by skealoha86 View Post
    Port your cell number to Google Voice and do your texting through it using data only... then hang around a lot of open wifi hotspots...

    What about voicemail - do they integrate with Google Voice seamlessly? VMo doesn't let you forward unanswered calls to Google Voice... I'm very interested!
    You need to read more about how this deal works. The republic phone is designed to take advantage of wifi anytime it can.. automatically. Then it routs all voice, text, and data through the wifi instead of through the cell.

    The limits imposed by republic ONLY apply to what's being transmitted through cell. In other words, if you're in a wifi zone and send 1000 texts and then go outside of the wifi zone and send 20 texts, then only those 20 texts count against your "limits".

    The whole operation is supposed to be seamless to the user.

    It sounds pretty smart to me. I've heard of people buying the V and not even bothering to activate it - and using it for communications only through wifi. IIRC even unactivated phones by law have to work with 911 calling so emergency calls are taken care of too.

    It seems to me the $20/month republic deal is a nice compromise for those who don't want to spend a lot of money and for those who don't want to be without service.

    For those people complaining about data speeds I have to ask... WHAT THE HECK DO YOU USE YOUR PHONE FOR?! Really if 3G speeds aren't good enough then you really must be downloading a lot of crap.. or tethering - either way even the Virgin plan isn't going to be good enough for you!
  20. #20  
    ryuusei94's Avatar

    Posts
    48 Posts
    ROM
    Harmonia 1.6.1c

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MasterTec View Post
    For those people complaining about data speeds I have to ask... WHAT THE HECK DO YOU USE YOUR PHONE FOR?! Really if 3G speeds aren't good enough then you really must be downloading a lot of crap.. or tethering - either way even the Virgin plan isn't going to be good enough for you!
    I use my phone to show my grandfather replays of foot ball games when i visit him.

    Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk
  21. #21  
    jdcnosse's Avatar

    Posts
    516 Posts
    ROM
    modified BACKside

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Whyzor View Post
    There's a workaround for this. Just set your VM outgoing greeting to a minute long (I just use recorded music), GV will keep ringing and your VM voicemail should never pick up if someone calls your GV number.
    I could do that lol eh I'm okay with it now. VM doesn't get my voicemails so we're all good
  22. #22  
    Whyzor's Avatar

    Posts
    406 Posts
    ROM
    HyperNonSense ICS

    Default Re: Republic Wireless has GingerBread Optimus V

    Quote Originally Posted by jdcnosse View Post
    I could do that lol eh I'm okay with it now. VM doesn't get my voicemails so we're all good
    Most of the time it used to work for me too, but occasionally if my cellphone doesn't get a good signal or is in airplane mode, the VM voicemail automatically picks up, so that confuses the caller. Now I get consistent GV voicemail, as if VM's voicemail is disabled.
  23. #23  
    jdcnosse's Avatar

    Posts
    516 Posts
    ROM
    modified BACKside

    Default Re: Republic Wireless has GingerBread Optimus V

    It probably helps that I don't give out my virgin mobile number to really anyone lol
  24. #24  

    Default Re: Republic Wireless has GingerBread Optimus V

    Just a followup - I emailed republic wireless support about voicemail and this was their response:

    Unanswered calls will go to your voicemail. You can forward incoming calls, but you will not be able to point unanswered calls to another number.
    So if you're ok with voicemail on VMO with Google Voice, it will work the same way, presumably.
  25. #25  
    Whyzor's Avatar

    Posts
    406 Posts
    ROM
    HyperNonSense ICS

    Default Re: Republic Wireless has GingerBread Optimus V

    Quote Originally Posted by jdcnosse View Post
    It probably helps that I don't give out my virgin mobile number to really anyone lol
    I don't either. You don't have to give out virgin # for some people to reach its voicemail. When they call your google voice number, it rings your virgin #, if your cell is not in range (or airplane mode, or off), the virgin voicemail picks up. But the workaround of having a long greeting message tricks the GV system to think that nobody has picked up actually yet, so it doesn't transfer the caller over to the voicemail until the actual beep. By having a long greeting, GV will keep ringing and eventually transfer to its own Voicemail.

    The simple answer on other carriers is to disable the cell's voicemail and let GV voicemail handle it, but Virgin can't disable voicemail for some reason. Or it forwards to an invalid # if the cell is out of range instead of transferring to GV's voicemail.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

B