Complete Erase

anon(344696)

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to pick up a Triumph today, and I think Best Buy will take $40 for my Optimus V. (I think they accept phones regardless of the ROM, right?)

Anyway. I need to completely erase it, and bring my MicroSD with me! I'm pretty sure the CM7 mod is installed on to my SD, so if I remove it, will my phone be unable to boot up?

What exactly should I do?

kcls

May 5, 2011
Visit site
CM7 is on the phone, not the SD. If you take it out, it will be fine. However, you should restore back to stock VM before bringing it in, otherwise whoever gets it next wont be able to activate it.

jdcnosse

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Best buy will only give you about half of what you can sell it for, reason being that they still need to make a profit when they resell it

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
ALWAYS RESTORE IT TO STOCK ROM BEFORE RESALE!!!!!

and no, the rom is installed to the phone itself, you can swap SD cards all you want it wont change the rom.

heres what you do.

buy the triumph, take it home, use Virgin Mobiles website to swap phones. enter ESN of the triumph, and it will relinquish your account from the OV

now, search the rom section for "stock rom" or just flash harmonious Bumblebee. you DO NOT need to "unroot" or change the CWM recovery. leave these alone.

as long as you have either the stock rom or harmonious bumblebee (because it has the "activate" app) you will be FINE. the next customer will be able to activate and use the phone.

just be sure to NOT sign into google or input any personal info on the new rom. that way the new user can set it up.

when you get the triumph, you will find a very good CM7 rom available on AndroidForums, this site is nice but the dev community for the Triumph is dead here. XDA has some action but the good roms are on AndroidForums. you dont need to be a member to download them

Reactions: anon(344696)

koopakid08

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
^ That's good to know. I see Ticker's CM7. But this MIUI looks awesome.

Is CM7 generally better than MIUI?

MIUI is based off CM. Really the only thing that is different is the UI theme

---------------------------------
Sent from my LG Optimus V using Tapatalk

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
now, search the rom section for "stock rom" or just flash harmonious Bumblebee. you DO NOT need to "unroot" or change the CWM recovery. leave these alone.
Why would you use a mod of two modded roms.
Nothing against HB, but it doesn't look stock.

Harmonia or Bumblebee would be a better option if you are looking for stock. Harmonia would be the easiest and safest as it will work with pretty much any recovery and either model. Replacing the wallpaper is all that is needed to took 100% stock.

Stock + Xionia or Aphrodite (with the rebuilt Picasticks kernel for the newer phones) is another good choice.

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Why would you use a mod of two modded roms.
Nothing against HB, but it doesn't look stock.

Harmonia or Bumblebee would be a better option if you are looking for stock. Harmonia would be the easiest and safest as it will work with pretty much any recovery and either model. Replacing the wallpaper is all that is needed to took 100% stock.

Stock + Xionia or Aphrodite (with the rebuilt Picasticks kernel for the newer phones) is another good choice.

they all allow a new user to provision the phone correctly without worrying about previous user data or ROMing

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
^ That's good to know. I see Ticker's CM7. But this MIUI looks awesome.

Is CM7 generally better than MIUI?

MIUI is a fork of android developed by a chinese developer. the controversy about it is that the source code isnt open, so for all anyone knows its collecting user data or more. so far that hasnt been proven, but thats the risk with closed source software.

it was ported to the Triumph by combining it with CM7 (since there so similar)

on the flip side, its absolutely beautiful and every little detail of android has been polished with an Apple flair, its very well done, it does look very iOS like and if thats not your thing then CM7 is probably a better choice.

CM7 is very popular custom rom for android, you can grab the source, combine it with software for a certain phone and make a rom for that phone. there are individuals and groups who maintain roms for certain phone models. its always based off the newest android source, that is usually released with the Nexus updates.

im not trying to be too technical becuase I dont know all the details, i just tried to explain the jist of all this miui cm7 android stuff.

both have their positives and negatives.

in my opinion, CM7 is more "usable" has better options for controlling basic tasks and functions of the phone. I use the brightness slider and a lot of the options in the cm7 settings menu to customize my phone. most of these arent in MIUI, but there are workarounds, like a toggle for brightness instead of a slider, or automatic brightness (which works well in miui)

CM7 is basically "Stock android" that is, although it can be themed and stuff, it usually isnt when its first loaded, and looks just like android would look on a phone like the Nexus, which has a non-skinned android.

MIUI however is just gorgeous to use. it really makes use of the PPI and resolution of the screen, the icons are drawn to fit the pixels available, not stretched or upscaled. everything from individual buttons to scrolling through lists is polished and smooth. you dont really notice how "ugly" android is until you see what its capable of being.

when I first loaded miui and found myself look at the homescreen full of big beautiful app icons I thought I was looking at a iphone Retina display. the triumph has 230ppi which is very high compared to other LCD screens you look at often (like your pc monitor or TV) and MIUI really makes the screen shine.

I reccomend trying both for a few days each. dont worry about battery life, it will settle out in 48 hours. just focus on trying to see which rom fits you better.

the way i do it is I keep a backup (go sms backup) of my texts, and I restore a nandroid backup of miui when I want it and CM7 when I want that, and keep my texts up to date between them.

tickerguy stopped development of cm7 but as it stands, the last release is VERY usable day to day, only HDMI is not working, and the only bug I found in my use is the headphone volume is low until you turn the screen off, unplug and re plug them, then its back to normal (loud) volume. weird, but what can ya do.

im very certain someone will continue developing these roms very very soon. the triumph is a great phone, these roms prove that.

Reactions: anon(344696)

anon(344696)

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for being so informative watskyhotsky. That's what caught my eye, was the looks of MIUI. I'm not much of an Android "purest". I feel like I just picked up another Optimus V with a bigger screen.

I won't be keeping this phone for long either. I'll be returning it probably in about 30 days, and picking up the Optimus Black on Virgin USA. It's a great phone, but there's lots of light leaking, and occasionally the back button won't work very well. And it won't be getting Gingerbread native. The Optimus Black is looking great on the other hand.

So as long as MIUI isn't loaded with new and different bugs CM7 doesn't already have, then I think it should work just fine for me. Will flash it tonight. :)

Last edited:

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for being so informative watskyhotsky. That's what caught my eye, was the looks of MIUI. I'm not much of an Android "purest". I feel like I just picked up another Optimus V with a bigger screen.

I won't be keeping this phone for long either. I'll be returning it probably in about 30 days, and picking up the Optimus Black on Virgin USA. It's a great phone, but there's lots of light leaking, and occasionally the back button won't work very well. And it won't be getting Gingerbread native. The Optimus Black is looking great on the other hand.

So as long as MIUI isn't loaded with new and different bugs CM7 doesn't already have, then I think it should work just fine for me. Will flash it tonight. :)

i thought my triumph would have those problems as well but so far its as solid as any other high end phone ive own. buttons always work and in complete dark, theres no light leakage. (ive seen that on another triumph though, its all around the edges where the glass meets the plastic and its ugly)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC