SIMple Mobile

jaestreetsss

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
They're not bad but don't tether.
The 4g is not REALLY 4G.
I have a g2x on s.mobile
It's 60 for unlimited everything and "4g". Not bad.
Just remember to write down the apn settings so if yuu flash roms yuu can set them bacK

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

jdcnosse

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Nothing is technically "4G." At least not yet. But the group that determines the standards and what you can market what services as decided since all the cell companies we're doing it anyways, they'd let 4G slip. The slowest "4G" is HSPA+, and it's more like 3.5G. The fastest is obviously LTE, which at it's current standpoint on Verizon, it's like 3.75G. LTE has the best upgrade capacity for true 4G

ShadyBusiness

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Nothing is technically "4G." At least not yet. But the group that determines the standards and what you can market what services as decided since all the cell companies we're doing it anyways, they'd let 4G slip. The slowest "4G" is HSPA+, and it's more like 3.5G. The fastest is obviously LTE, which at it's current standpoint on Verizon, it's like 3.75G. LTE has the best upgrade capacity for true 4G

I actually read something about that todays 4g isn't truly 4g. But yea I'd probably end up getting $40 plan anyways if something happens to my OpV

tvall

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
I've been planning on switching to them for a while. But T-Mobile has a prepaid plan for $30 with "unlimited" "4g", 100 minutes, and unlimited texting. $30 cheaper for the same thing minus the minutes (I use around ~100 minutes a month. Less now that I found groove ip lite)

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I think I will be switching over 2 this nxt month. Bought an unlocked Nexus 1 off craigs for 85. Glad to see they support it. I was going 2 go straight talk but this looks cheaper.

Anyone on this plan currently? Reviews or tips? Ill be posting my own in a month no doubt

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Kahroo

Android in training
Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
This sounds like a good thing but $60 may be a bit to much. And do they allow tethering and how much data can you use before they throttle you?

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Beware....

The problem with Simple Mobile is that they throttle the hell out of you.

Their 3g is throttled to 119k, and the 4g is throttled to 3g speeds.
There are a LOT of complaints about their speeds, basically for descent data service you NEED the 4g plan which costs $60. A bunch of people jumped on them over at another forum I watch and they all went running back to VM or T-Mobile.

All of these little carriers have serious issues that you need to be aware of before you waste your money on a phone.

Straight Talk has a habit of shutting off data if you use more than 100megs a day. It doesn't matter if it's day one of your month. They also do not like streaming music and video., in fact I beleive it's actually against the terms of service, or was.

Also, watch out for low data limits on all of them. None are over 2gigs, and some are as low as 200megs depending on plan.

Kahroo

Android in training
Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Beware....

The problem with Simple Mobile is that they throttle the hell out of you.

Their 3g is throttled to 119k, and the 4g is throttled to 3g speeds.
There are a LOT of complaints about their speeds, basically for descent data service you NEED the 4g plan which costs $60. A bunch of people jumped on them over at another forum I watch and they all went running back to VM or T-Mobile.

All of these little carriers have serious issues that you need to be aware of before you waste your money on a phone.

Straight Talk has a habit of shutting off data if you use more than 100megs a day. It doesn't matter if it's day one of your month. They also do not like streaming music and video., in fact I beleive it's actually against the terms of service, or was.

Also, watch out for low data limits on all of them. None are over 2gigs, and some are as low as 200megs depending on plan.

Wow that sucks. Thanks for the heads up. So VM is the only good prepaid company atm?

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
T-Mobile is good if you can fit their plans and you have coverage.
For me, T-Mobile covers a few areas out here no one else does, but at the same time, in my town, there's no data inside buildings. Sprint covers most areas just fine, but has a few dead spots that don't matter.

Basically for the money, VM is very hard to beat, despite how these other companies look on the surface. If you really want better service, expect to pay $50 or more unless T-Mobile will work for you.

Remember, you are free to leave VM and try them, and while people say it's so much better and cheaper, blah blah blah, most really haven't looked into the details, comments or really thought things through. They forget, they have to buy a phone before they can even try the service. Howard Forums has a section dedicated to MVNO carriers and I have been watching them since Oct. looking for a cheap, good alternative, in the end, I stayed on Virgin.

Last edited:

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

Found this gem while trying to see if the TOS mentions the streaming bit.

but downloading movies using P2P file sharing services and/or redirecting television signals for viewing on laptops is prohibited
No mention of any other computer but laptops...haha.

Anyways Ive spoke with several people using the new BYOD plans on straight talk. No mention of the data cutoffs now.

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Found this gem while trying to see if the TOS mentions the streaming bit.

No mention of any other computer but laptops...haha.

Anyways Ive spoke with several people using the new BYOD plans on straight talk. No mention of the data cutoffs now.

U switching to straight talk brah?

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Straight talk will be $45 per month, plus a bunch of taxes (not just sales tax), expect $50 or more.

And the data limit seems to fluctuate, they won't tell you how much is too much, but the consensus is that 2gigs is the safe limit.

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Straight talk will be $45 per month, plus a bunch of taxes (not just sales tax), expect $50 or more.

And the data limit seems to fluctuate, they won't tell you how much is too much, but the consensus is that 2gigs is the safe limit.

Yeah, hopefully they will just throttle down after 2 :D

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

If you buy your refills at walmart its less than 50 bucks I know my kid has a st phone. Even if you pay online it should be under 50 bucks. You have to pay taxes on pretty much any pre-paid phone plan. I know if I pay online through the phone company it is about a buck more than if you buy it from a local store.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
You miss understand...
On VM you pay sales tax only. On some others you have the Universal Access fee, and a bunch of other taxes and such piled on.

Even just under $50, it's still about 40% more than VM costs at $35 and double the $25 plan.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
No I understand what your saying. Even paying the USF fees by paying through the website its less than $50. Which for the exact same service through VM is atleast 5 bucks cheaper. Compare apples to apples :D.

I could have sworn tho paying via VM's sight they charged tax and fees. I remember comparing the two prices and buying a card was cheaper. I think all phone companies have to charge you the tax if you buy the card through them. I could and probably am wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance