Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default VM Optimus V Vs Moto Triumph

I have the Virgin Mobile Optimus V and I'm thinking of switching to the Moto Triumph for the bigger screen. Is there any down side to doing this? Which is the better phone?

Thanks

Default Re: VM Optimus V Vs Moto Triumph

Quote Originally Posted by sundance2011 View Post
    I have the Virgin Mobile Optimus V and I'm thinking of switching to the Moto Triumph for the bigger screen. Is there any down side to doing this? Which is the better phone?

Thanks
    i would switch to triumph my buddy got one, n its really nice phone! only downside i know isnthe battery sucks. n it dont have extended battery yet. but ill still get it d=)

when i get a chance im going to get it for sure. everyone got some different feeling about the phone...

ROM
    IHOCM7.2 || AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by puma1988 View Post
    i would switch to triumph my buddy got one, n its really nice phone! only downside i know isnthe battery sucks. n it dont have extended battery yet. but ill still get it d=)

when i get a chance im going to get it for sure. everyone got some different feeling about the phone...
    I'd wait it out for the Optimus Black. The OV is a pretty nice phone, and the triumph is okay, but it has some problems. The black is gonna be much nicer then the triumph from what I've heard. If anything, wait for the black, then make your descision.

Tapatalkin it from my IHO CM7.1'd, ICS Themed Optimus V

My fiancee's grandmother got the Triumph.
    Compared to the OV, imo, it feels chintzy, has a dim, less vibrant screen and the battery is worse. I'd wait for something else to come along.

ROM
    Stock, rooted.

Quote Originally Posted by drwatson32 View Post
    My fiancee's grandmother got the Triumph.
    Compared to the OV, imo, it feels chintzy, has a dim, less vibrant screen and the battery is worse. I'd wait for something else to come along.
    For the love of God, DON'T GET THE TRIUMPH.
    Yeah it looks cool, has a beast processor, HDMI output, and a decent camera...
    But they're ALL turds.
    I went through 6 of them very quickly. Ended up settling with the OV and am very happy with it.
    Just to save yourself the hassle, wait until either something better is released, or (if) they fix the MT bugs.
    Right now it isn't really worth the headache.

Quote Originally Posted by charkswitlazers View Post
    For the love of God, DON'T GET THE TRIUMPH.
    Yeah it looks cool, has a beast processor, HDMI output, and a decent camera...
    But they're ALL turds.
    I went through 6 of them very quickly. Ended up settling with the OV and am very happy with it.
    Just to save yourself the hassle, wait until either something better is released, or (if) they fix the MT bugs.
    Right now it isn't really worth the headache.
    I really feel bad for you man, seriously. no one should have to go through that.

now back to the OPs question

I went thru that with Optimus Vs until I got a good one, but that was when they were first released.

Ive been an OV guy ever since, when the triumph came out, i really wanted it, but reviews said it was bad and I decided to wait for the Optimus Black.

I decided that the triumph has been out for long enough that the manufacturing bugs were mostly ironed out, also a stable CM7 rom AND MIUI rom were available, so I jumped ship.

I only bought one Triumph, havent needed to return it.

When I powered it on for the first time, it was kind of laggy and unresponsive and I feared that the forum complainers were right about the phone, but I trudged on, hopeful.

I swapped my number from my OV to the Triumph, got service on it, started noticing it switching from 3G to 1x in the same room where my OV 10 minutes earlier got great signal.

I was really fearful that I spent 300 bucks on a pile of turd, but I went over to AndroidForums and found some awesome roms.

I installed CWM recovery to the triumph (ridiculously easy, no root required if done through PC) nandroid backed up my stock rom (still, no root required, Ive restored it and been able to boot into it and have a TRUE stock rom without root.)

I installed MIUI and turned on the phone, fearing the same problems.

tada!!!! the touchscreen was super responsive, 3G signal was GREAT, speed was great, NO LAG anywhere in the rom. loading apps, multitasking, gaming, lag-free and super fun.

Ive been switching between CM7 and MIUI since, they are both stable and awesome.

long story short, 2.2 Froyo was under-developed, released with bugs and is all around BAD.... useful ONLY for activation.

I can only recommend the Triumph if you are totally comfortable installing either CM7 or MIUI.

if you have ANY plans at all to even ATTEMPT to use the stock rom for any length of time other than to activate the phone, then no, do not get it. it will leave a bad taste in your mouth and you will hate the phone, when really its the stock rom.

the hardware is solid, future proof for a long while to come. Mobile phones arent going to take advantage of dual core CPUs except for gaming and benchmarking. the day that your phone is obsolete for being a "single-core" is no time soon. phones arent PCs, and we arent going to be running PC level apps anytime soon.

Tablets yes, but phones... no, dual core is superfluous, just shiny.