1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default box.com 50gb of free storage for lg phones

I read about this on Android Central, so I tried it and its true. 50gb of cloud storage for free isn't too shabby
    Thanked by 2:
    Android in training

Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: box.com 50gb of free storage for lg phones

Just read about it like 2 mins ago and BAM Got myself 50GBs. Not bad at all.

You guys mean 5gb don't you?

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

no, box.net is 50 gigs.

Cool, all you need to do is install Box on your LG phone and you automatically get 50gb. I wonder how long this is going to last.
    Frugal Nerd Tinkerer

Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    ROM
    Rooted, leaned out stock

huh - is this space just a temporary thing for a few weeks or is this indefinitely?

Wow thanks guys. This is nice.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

ROM
    Changes to Often

How good is the Box app for android? I already have sugarsync (I am up to 15GB just from referrals), which I moved on to from Dropbox.

Edit: File Size limit?
    Edit #2: Yes. Even though you get the 50GB. You are still limited to 25MB file sizes for free,
    I tried uploading a little ~200MB Movie and could not do it :/
    Last edited by Takenover83; 11-30-2011 at 09:00 PM.
    SugarSync (5GB Cloud) Referral Link. - We each get 500MB extra.
    Guide to Play MP4's from the Cloud. Guide to Free VOIP using Google Voice and Groove IP.
    Android in training

Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Yeah and you need to have a paid account to use the Desktop client. That sucks. And yeah 25MB is kinda small. I may stick with Dropbox

Yeah I've got 100GB from them from the iOS deal but I never use it due to the file size limit...

---------------------------------
    Sent from my LG Optimus V using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
    zires 

ROM
    mrg666 MiRaGe

Thanks a lot for this tip. I just downloaded Box from market, signed up and got 50 GB.

Played a little with it on the phone and PC. It integrates with google docs for editing on the PC. Other app integrations are available from third parties. On the phone, it integrates beautifully with QuickOffice Pro, which Amazon recently had as free app. Use QuickOffice to browse and open Box files (works better than the other way around).

I'm considering getting an Asus TF, and I think this could be quite valuable there. So thanks again.

Sent from my LG Optimus V CM7/IHO

Global Posts
    106 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Takenover83 View Post
    How good is the Box app for android? I already have sugarsync (I am up to 15GB just from referrals), which I moved on to from Dropbox.

Edit: File Size limit?
    Edit #2: Yes. Even though you get the 50GB. You are still limited to 25MB file sizes for free,
    I tried uploading a little ~200MB Movie and could not do it :/
    Once the account is upgraded to 50GB, the maximum file size is changed to 1GB. I just uploaded some files 170MB to 200MB in size and it uploaded without any problems from my PC. I haven't tried uploading larger size files from OV yet.

*edit*
    Larger size upload from OV works fine too. I just uploaded nandroid back up from my OV and had no problems.
    Last edited by csrow; 12-01-2011 at 07:30 AM.

You can mount this as a network drive I have tried it and it works.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Changes to Often

Quote Originally Posted by csrow View Post
    Once the account is upgraded to 50GB, the maximum file size is changed to 1GB. I just uploaded some files 170MB to 200MB in size and it uploaded without any problems from my PC. I haven't tried uploading larger size files from OV yet.

*edit*
    Larger size upload from OV works fine too. I just uploaded nandroid back up from my OV and had no problems.
    You are half right, at-least in my experience. My file size limit seem's to be at 100MB. It does say I have 50GB on the website.

You can see these details here:
    Guide to Play MP4's from the Cloud. Guide to Free VOIP using Google Voice and Groove IP.

ROM
    mrg666 MiRaGe

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Clown View Post
    You can mount this as a network drive I have tried it and it works.
    This is awesome. Doesn't even require installing any software, just hook it up as WebDAV in windows.

Now I can use SyncToy to backup to box - AND have access from my phone.

Once again thanks a lot :-D

Global Posts
    106 Global Posts

You are half right, at-least in my experience. My file size limit seem's to be at 100MB. It does say I have 50GB on the website.

You can see these details here:
    I don't know why there is a difference but on my screen, it shows 1G and I have uploaded many files larger than 100MB so I am not sure what is going on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails box.com 50gb of free storage for lg phones-2011-12-01_143555.jpg  

ROM
    Changes to Often

Quote Originally Posted by csrow View Post
    I don't know why there is a difference but on my screen, it shows 1G and I have uploaded many files larger than 100MB so I am not sure what is going on.
    Very strange. Can anyone else share what there file size limit is? I also notice your bandwidth says 0. It suggest you have no limit, where as mine is at 10GB (which I would likely never exceed on Virgin Mobile).

Edit: Maybe you are on a 14-day Free Trial to the Business upgrade, which cost $15/m?
    Last edited by Takenover83; 12-01-2011 at 02:01 PM.

Global Posts
    106 Global Posts

Very strange. Can anyone else share what there file size limit is? I also notice your bandwidth says 0. It suggest you have no limit, where as mine is at 10GB (which I would likely never exceed on Virgin Mobile).

Edit: Maybe you are on a 14-day Free Trial to the Business upgrade, which cost $15/m?
    Ok, I have figured out what is going on. The 100MB limit is correct. I was just lucky to get 1GB limit on my HP account before they changed it. I just created a new account with LG and that does have 100MB limit.

"On the 1GB vs. 100MB upload discrepancy, Levie said in a statement that "From the beginning, the promotion we agreed on with HP was 50GB of free cloud storage, along with a 100MB file size limit for uploads. Due to a misconfiguration on our end, some lucky users received a 1GB limit, and we'll of course continue to honor that for those accounts. We're sorry about any confusion that discrepancy has caused."

ROM
    Changes to Often

Ah I see. Do you mean LG and not HP? Either way, I think I can work around this 100MB limit. Should be good for music, photo's, apk's, etc.. If I have something larger, like a movie, I will just split it. I love mounting box.net via Windows, and not needing a separate app. Works rather well.

No sync.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenOptimusV View Post
    No sync.

Might want to try Allway Sync...free to home user...I use it in conjunction with NetDrive (again free to home user) to sync my Box online account (virtual drive) with my windows explorer Box folder (can sync in any direction). Just make certain NetDrive is configured as a WebDav server type

ROM
    Changes to Often

Having used the Box app a bit. I still prefer SugarSync. It seems to have better support. For example, it's supports streaming MP4's, where as the Box app on Android does not. It will try to download the whole fine before playing.

Hey guys, i also got the free 50GB upgrade for box.net. I have started backing up the contents of my card to my account. Is there a way to upload a whole folder? I cant seem to do it from the app itself. I have a workaround im using es file manager to select multiple files and copy into my box.net account. I just wanted to see if there was a way to do it natively in box.net's app to compare speeds.

sent from my OV using tapatalk

ROM
    mrg666 MiRaGe

Quote Originally Posted by pdrift View Post
    Hey guys, i also got the free 50GB upgrade for box.net. I have started backing up the contents of my card to my account. Is there a way to upload a whole folder? I cant seem to do it from the app itself. I have a workaround im using es file manager to select multiple files and copy into my box.net account. I just wanted to see if there was a way to do it natively in box.net's app to compare speeds.
    I'm also a user of ES, but didn't know that it had box integration. That works really well, thanks for the tip.

Quick office also has direct box access built-in. I don't think I need the box app any more.

Has anyone found a good app for streaming music or videos if not both. I want to upload my music/video files and stream them to my Optimus V. I have it rooted but not rom'd.

Also any progressive work with tweaking the phone to think Box is a drive. Such as a sd card. I wish we could install apps to box or something else like a computer used as a server. This way allowing it to think the app can be used locally but placed in storage aside from sd or internal. Wifi/3G is not really a concern, If I have to be connected to use apps so be it. If not then I can at least have special apps left on phone for local type usage.

Any ideas?