How do I know if I have an Optimus V with updated screen?

bornagainpenguin

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
This is potentially a dumb question, I know but other than the obvious how do I know whether or not I have one of the refreshed Optimus models?

I will be getting a warranty replacement within the next day or two and I was thinking about doing a nandroid with my current rom and settings (mostly a stock Bumblebee) but I didn't want to waste my time or encounter a bunch of issues by not doing my homework first.

Is there a way to detect whether the hardware is the same as my current version?

--bornagainpenguin

tobashadow#AC

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I might have to look at that, I have a first day (actually bought it and activated it the day before they where officially on sale) model and my wife has a Black Friday Target one which is a new screen.

So i have both in the house to go over and compare for anything that can be spotted outside of the casing.

It's not really a big deal tho i have done five so far. I just flash the clockwork recovery from rom manger and boot to recovery, if its black screen i just boot back into the stock rom and place the new recovery on the sd root and install script manager and install it from there, its only six or seven lines to type in.

CuriousNoob

Banned
Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Ehh, good question.(I don't know the answer) You could use gingerbreak to root, then use IHO recovery since its compatible with the newer V's.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

bornagainpenguin

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
Well I've been using a version of SuperOneClick which worked with 2.1 to do my rooting which represents a learning curve for me now since from starting the phone I can see it is Android 2.2.2 so that isn't going to work for me and I'm going to have to use Gingerbreak probably...

I'm off to find the threads about a) copying the android 2.2.2 without rooting (if it can be done that way?) and b) setting the phone back to its default recovery. Hopefully I'll be able to do them both without issue and smooth sailing...

Wish me luck! :)

--bornagainpenguin

bornagainpenguin

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
I would imagine the FCC ID number under the battery is different.
Old models are labeled:

Model No: VM760
FCC ID: BEJVM760

That's what my Optimus V says under the battery, but it came with Android 2.2.2...so???

Also can you tell me an easy way to back up the recovery on the phone, while it is still stock? (Unless rooting just destroyed that?)

--bornagainpenguin

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
2.2.2 doesn't necessarily indicate a new or old phones, they could have been flashing 2.2.2 on older models and I am sure they are on refurbs.

The FCC# or model# should have changed, there has to be a way to define first vs second gen. Okay, HAS is a bit strong, as some companies don't but typically, yes, there is something to indicate new vs old. Since they changed the radio, the fcc# should change I would think.

I have no idea who to backup the recovery.

bornagainpenguin

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
I found the line needed to make the back up of the stock recovery here.

I was able to pull recovery using:

cat /dev/mtd/mtd2 > /sdcard/recovery.img.

Nandroid back up and recovery up. First post.

The resulting file appeared to be identical to the ones already archived on the site, so no big deal I guess. I just wanted to be sure I have a way back if I decide that I need one. Or if I need to exchange the phone again, (God forbid!)

Going to try to flash a custom recovery and from there make a nandroid.

--bornagainpenguin

tobashadow#AC

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
If you open up the battery compartment, near the bottom below the battery is a small stamped area , on the older screen models its different number then the new ones in that. I have verified it on five different known model phones now and will report back later what it says on each of the two types unless someone else here wants to look and say it for me.

It's only one of two codes so easy to tell which you have I just don't have the new one infront of me but a older screen series is

WS1

Don't have to pull the battery just open the back cover and look to see which it is.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

tobashadow#AC

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Well this is a bummer, my wifes phone says WS1 also and its a new screen.

it is interesting there is more then one code there and makes me wonder what its for.