[Solved] Error: Package file is invalid

wbsrlnyt

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
When installing various apps from the Market I get the following dialog box: "Error: Package file is invalid." I am running CyanogenMod-7.2.0-RCO-BACKside-IHO-KANG eng.jerryscript.20120103.225809. I have 46 mb on the phone free and 4.9 gb on the sdcard free. Sometimes the error is that there is no enough space as well.

I have tried clearing Market cache and deleting Market data. I really don't want to wipe everything and start over. I also would rather not sideload. I know this error is fixable. I have Googled and searched the forums. Nothing has really helped so far. Any ideas?

Edit: Here's my solution:

1. Upgraded to newest JerryScript BACKside-iHO ROM per his instructions.
  2. Use "Recreate mount scripts" in Link2SD and reboot.
  3. Use "Relink library files" and "Link dalvik-cache files" in Link2SD and reboot.
  4. Use "Market Tools..." - "Market Doctor" for user & system apps in Titanium Backup (otherwise they won't show up in "My Apps" in Market for updates).
I have done this every time I have upgraded the ROM and have had no problems since.

Last edited:
Reactions: kimberlyinmn

wbsrlnyt

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Re: Error: Package file is invalid

That's the weird thing. I have tried both on 3G and Wifi and same issue, but just one some apps (sometimes new install and sometimes update).

It's weird too that sometimes I get the error that there is insufficient space. But, I have plenty of space.

wbsrlnyt

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Re: Error: Package file is invalid

I may eventually try link2sd. I found the following worked for me (from here CM 7.1 Market "Insufficient Space" error - CyanogenMod Forum). I entered the following in the Terminal:

Code:
$ su
# cd /cache
# mv download download.old
# mkdir -p /sdcard/cache/download
# ln -s /sdcard/cache/download download

I believe reversing it to the original condition would be:
Code:
$ su
# cd /cache
# mv download.old download
# rm -r /sdcard/cache/download

Reactions: Silence99

SagaciousB

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
I keep having issues with JerryScript as well since I've upgraded from a previous version of his ROM.
I'm using Link2SD, tried MarketFix, have cleared my Dalvik-cache, Cache, and uninstalled the Market Updates.
Have 49.7MB free on Internal, 473MB free on SD Card, and 820MB free on 2nd partition. I'm running out of ideas. :'(

pbailey212

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I keep having issues with JerryScript as well since I've upgraded from a previous version of his ROM.
I'm using Link2SD, tried MarketFix, have cleared my Dalvik-cache, Cache, and uninstalled the Market Updates.
Have 49.7MB free on Internal, 473MB free on SD Card, and 820MB free on 2nd partition. I'm running out of ideas. :'(

Did you try my suggestion 4 posts up?

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

SagaciousB

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
I think I finally resolved this. I think what happened was this:
  1. Old IHO install, I had installed a bunch of apps, and used Link2SD to link the cache files for them as well.
  2. Upgraded to a new version of Backside IHO cleared Dalvik/cache partitions as per instructions
  3. Suddenly its complaining about space, invalid install files, etc. despite showing enough space in the system info.
  4. Clearing cache, dalvik cache, market settings, etc didn't do a thing
  5. Found a nice option in Link2SD called "Link dalvik-cache files". This moved all the dalvik-cache files (around 50MB!) that were previously linked back to the SD card, creating space in the cache partition for Market downloads and installations. I guess by formatting the cache partition, it undid all of my old links and there just wasn't enough space for all the cache.
  6. Everything is peachy again! :D

I may recommend that JerryScript add this step to his instructions if its a common occurrence. What a hard thing to debug!

Dear LG, please give us a bit more system memory next time. I'll happily pay the $5 for it.

flagcitysteelers

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
I also use JerryScript IHO, but I use DarkTremor App2SD. After installing I ran the cache2SD which fixed the same error from the market I was having as well after installlng a ton of apps. After this, I've never seen it again... I run probably 175 apps & still have 72 meg of the 190 free. (I have had over 200, but it did seem to start bogging down a bit & a bit jumpy scrolling. That was probably more due to many apps that like to run all the time causing that rather than the strict size or number of them) Anyway, I found out upgrading the ROM to a new version of JerryScript is as easy as clearing the cache, clearing dalvik cache, flashing the new rom, flashing gapps,and then flashing the dta2sd zip file. After several reboots, you can see the ext3 partition growing as the cache is built back up.. Sorry if this got off target from your specific post, but does have tiny bit of relationship..

cmerlyn

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
I was having the same problem trying to upgrade Google Maps. Tried several things, the one that worked was uninstalling Google Maps first.
C

wbsrlnyt

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
  1. Old IHO install, I had installed a bunch of apps, and used Link2SD to link the cache files for them as well.
  2. Upgraded to a new version of Backside IHO cleared Dalvik/cache partitions as per instructions
  3. Suddenly its complaining about space, invalid install files, etc. despite showing enough space in the system info.
  5. Found a nice option in Link2SD called "Link dalvik-cache files". This moved all the dalvik-cache files (around 50MB!) that were previously linked back to the SD card, creating space in the cache partition for Market downloads and installations. I guess by formatting the cache partition, it undid all of my old links and there just wasn't enough space for all the cache.

I may recommend that JerryScript add this step to his instructions if its a common occurrence. What a hard thing to debug!

Dear LG, please give us a bit more system memory next time. I'll happily pay the $5 for it.

I did the same thing with Link2SD. Here's my process:

1. Upgraded to newest JerryScript ROM per his instructions.
2. Use "Recreate mount scripts" in Link2SD and reboot.
3. Use "Relink library files" and "Link dalvik-cache files" in Link2SD and reboot.
4. Use "Market Tools..." - "Market Doctor" for user & system apps in Titanium Backup (otherwise they won't show up in "My Apps" in Market for updates).

No problems every time after I do this. I've added this to my first post for reference. I wonder if there's another way to do all this, but regardless, it works.

Last edited:

purerealm

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
I have the same error but a different cause I was hoping you guys could help me out with. I installed a new SD card and what I did was I moved all the data from the old to the new card. I'm not sure what the correct method to do it is and now I have all my apps but they can't upgrade from the error. Can somebody help?

purerealm

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
that does not work. I have tried the link2sd thing to clear dalvik cache, i didn't have another partition so it gave me an error message.

I've cleared market cache and data, and a bunch of other stuff. not sure what i can do here but I think it's time to format the entire thing. does anyone know how to do this? I just want to make sure my wireless servers and keys are saved

stu310

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
that does not work. I have tried the link2sd thing to clear dalvik cache, i didn't have another partition so it gave me an error message.

I've cleared market cache and data, and a bunch of other stuff. not sure what i can do here but I think it's time to format the entire thing. does anyone know how to do this? I just want to make sure my wireless servers and keys are saved

I had the same problem as you. Then I realized I was not running the most updated ROM version. Make sure you are running ROM version 20120219. I updated my ROM to that and the problem went away. I now can add apps to my heart's content with more then enough room!:D

purerealm

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
I think you're using backside's rom, which doesn't work with my phone. It makes it freeze all the time. I use Bobzhome's and I was able to fix my problem by formatting the entire partition and all the subfolders through recovery mode. at first i thought i wasn't supposed to format after flashing the rom but I guess in recovery mode it's ok. and now once again I have a fresh install and a well working phone

Ilovefarts

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site

This didn't work for me. I'm going to try to remount blah blah and do the other steps someone else tried first. And then I;ll report back