Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #26  

Default Re: anyone looking for a cheap tablet?

Quote Originally Posted by LeslieAnn View Post
    Hey! I'm not cheap and I use the $25 plan!
    On Howards there was even a lawyer using it, (though I think he was just cheap).

If I used my phone more I could justify a more expensive plan, but the $25 one serves me well so why pay 3 times that.
    i work freelance but i dont currently make enough to consistently pay a higher plan. definately some months but not every month. besides my triumph is still a much better phone than my old Galaxy S and I already own it. moving carriers would mean buying a new phone, something im not interested in as an addition to only MAYBE being able to cover each month.

and LOL @ the lawyer.
    Frugal Nerd Tinkerer

Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Rooted, leaned out stock

To quote myself (a great and famous writer) from the optimus slider forum:

"I have great credit and a steady job (my horn says toot toot) and i just switched from verizon a few months back for price and flexibility. i was fed up with a $180 cell bill for myself and my wife. we jumped just before the increase so our bill is now $80. we both still have android phones and unlimited data. Not sure why i waited as long as i did. I am ashamed that i bought into that bill of goods about vzw being SO much better than the other carriers. They are the Oakley of cell providers - a mediocre product with a premium price thanks to marketing.

Why do we always feel the need to call frugal people cheap or just say they cant afford good things. i am rich by no means, but i can afford verizon, hell i did for years, but now my eyes are open to the money i was wasting there and so many other places. If this makes me cheap then so be it."

-So watskyhotsky - I would not call you cheap - just responsible and maybe a little smarter than the average bear.

I have and love my transformer - I did a random side job last summer for a local theme park that paid well and I allowed myself ONE BIG splurge - it was the TF - and I am okay with it because it did not cause any ongoing expense. If that little tab works for you - looks decent by the way - then go for it. I also agree that it makes sense to at least mention it in this forum as well.
    watskyhotsky likes this.

Carrier
    CM7.2-IHO-MiRaGe

Nook color is very cheap and most impotantly has full CM support including CM9. I have two and typing this on one of those. But lack of internal microphone and front facing camera is sometimes very disappointing. I would not buy a tablet without those again.
    LeslieAnn likes this.

Carrier
    mrg666 MiRaGe

I just returned my wife's nook tablet to target the other day: NOT nook color, nook tablet, the newer one. Its hardware is very, very nice. Great screen, dual core CPU, 1GB RAM,16GB storage, very fast, elegant and smooth.

Of course B&N's restrictions make it almost useless until you root it. They finally cracked the bootloader in Jan and got CWM on it. CM7 is currently in beta, CM9 hopefully soon. There is a great dev community on XDA.

We miss it, but the reasons we decided to return it were (1) no camera for Skype (though it does have a secret mic); (2) the 1024x600 resolution and aspect ratio doesn't work with some apps; (3) $249 isn't bad, but with Asus MeMo and other tablets coming out, we think there will be better options soon; and (4) the fact that B&N seems hellbound on restricting it all the time. Be nice with a product that was as last somewhat useful without major brain surgery.

Re those restrictions (incl the locked bootloader), rumor has it that it's a requirement to having Netflix HD forced on them by Hollywood.
    AC Forums Android Developer

Carrier
    Harmonia 3

That's the one I am waiting for.

Carrier
    mrg666 MiRaGe

I think it's the one the whole world is waiting for. So much that I fear they'll change their mind about its pricing...

Carrier
    I.H.O. Mirage CM7.2

I picked up an Asus EEE Pad Transformer with dock. Though I can't consider it a cheap tablet it was rated time after time as best bang for your buck. It was on many top ten lists for 2011 tablets. I love it and you can used a PS3 controller with Bluetooth out if the box. Now has ICS too.

Did I mention I love it? I haven't touch desktop or crappy laptop since I got it.

Carrier
    mrg666 MiRaGe

I know, the transformer is a real hit, and we were very close to buying it last fall. I just can't make myself pay the same for it now (or even more) as when it came out almost a year ago. Incredible that they've been able to keep the price that high even after transformer prime was released. Last weekend I saw the prime 32GB was $499 in BB/hhgregg while the old transformer 32GB was $469 or something. That's wild considering the difference in hardware.

Carrier
    Harmonia 3

If they made the Transformer in a 7in, I would own one already.

Actually if it was a bit cheaper, I would as well. Not saying it isn't worth it, it's just a matter of size vs. cost to me. If I'm going to carry something that big for work, it may as well be a full windows laptop. I LOVE the idea though, and I'm looking at ways of doing something similar with the Memo once I get it.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #35  

If they made the Transformer in a 7in, I would own one already.

Actually if it was a bit cheaper, I would as well. Not saying it isn't worth it, it's just a matter of size vs. cost to me. If I'm going to carry something that big for work, it may as well be a full windows laptop. I LOVE the idea though, and I'm looking at ways of doing something similar with the Memo once I get it.

size is something i thought would not be that much of a buying decision for me.

i always told myself i wouldnt settle for less than a 10 inch tablet, bucuase 7 just isnt big enough to justify the cost when my phone does most of that stuff.

truth is, 7 is HUGE and definately usable for a LOT of tasks. and its a hell of a lot more portable than I thought it would be.

my 7 inch goes everywhere. even fits in a pocket in a pinch.

after owning this i imagine if i got myself a 10 incher it would stay at home, the way my 13" laptop did becuase it was too big too.

i need a bit more portability than most as my transportation is mostly based on 2 wheels and limited storage space.

Carrier
    cm9

don't ban me..
    Quote Originally Posted by watskyhotsky View Post
    truth is, 7 is HUGE and definately usable for a LOT of tasks. and its a hell of a lot more portable than I thought it would be.

my 7 inch goes everywhere. even fits in a pocket in a pinch.
    that's what she said.

after owning this i imagine if i got myself a 10 incher it would stay at home, the way my 13" laptop did becuase it was too big too.
    Thats what she said
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #37  

i discovered the front panel on my 'cheap' tablet is actually glass. not plastic as I had assumed.

also, it can crack violently.

lol. no idea how im going to get a replacement. cant see the cracks from straight on but any other angle and they stick out immediately

Carrier
    Harmonia 3

Let us know how you feel in another 2 months.
    i discovered the front panel on my 'cheap' tablet is actually glass. not plastic as I had assumed.

lol. no idea how im going to get a replacement. cant see the cracks from straight on but any other angle and they stick out immediately
    So... it didn't even make it a week.

Don't bother trying to get a replacement. That is probably the part that fails most often, so you won't find many. If you do, it will cost as much as you paid for the tablet and, how long will it last?

That's the end of that then. I had a cheap tablet with a glass screen before (Pandigital Novel) and while it never cracked on me, the glass added weigh and made me nervous of a "violent" break. Thanks but no thanks.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

I'm sorry for your loss watskyhotsky . Other potential tablet buyers, I bought a Kindle Fire and rooted it, installed CM7, and it runs like a beast...even has solid Corning Gorilla Glass! It compliments my Optimus V perfectly and I use it for navigation with Google Maps (tether app). I really like the 7" tablet size as it is uber portable and goes wherever my Optimus V journeys.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #41  

i made it sound worse than it is. i just didnt wanna admit the stupid truth

its a hairline crack, not really visible while the screen is on., and it happened on my own stupidity, tossing it off a balcony while drunk last night with some friends.

i didnt toss it purposely, it flew out of my hands while i tripped on a table leg. im genuinely surprised its not completely shattered like most phones (with gorilla glass) get from that same height of a fall.

overall its a tough little tablet, that really could have been the end of it, or any device (android phone, kindle fire, iphone, etc)

Carrier
    Harmonia 3

i made it sound worse than it is. i just didnt wanna admit the stupid truth

its a hairline crack, not really visible while the screen is on., and it happened on my own stupidity, tossing it off a balcony while drunk last night with some friends.

i didnt toss it purposely, it flew out of my hands while i tripped on a table leg. im genuinely surprised its not completely shattered like most phones (with gorilla glass) get from that same height of a fall.

overall its a tough little tablet, that really could have been the end of it, or any device (android phone, kindle fire, iphone, etc)
    It's still a bummer when things break.

Carrier
    mrg666 MiRaGe

Yeah, I hate it when that happens (getting drunk and throwing consumer electronics devices off balconies

A long time ago I was playing madden at a friends house and I ran a kickoff return for a touchdown for the win and he got mad and threw his control over his shoulder and it landed in his aquarium. The next time I went over there I looked at his aquarium and the control was still in there, right next to his rrod plagued Xbox. Best looking aquarium ever!

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk
    Dannemand and watskyhotsky like this.
    Daydream Believer

Carrier
    Victorious

I have two Coby Kyros 7022-4G tablets, and I love them both. They are no iPad, but they do everything I want them to, and they only cost me ~$150/ea. I can run CM7 on them, but I actually prefer the stock gingerbread (with a few tweaks of course). Have a keyboard/case for one, and it has replaced my two year old netbook without looking back. There is a newer model that has some slight improvements, I would recommend either to anyone with a bit of android knowledge (they don't come with market pre-installed, but it's easy to put on).

No built in GPS or BT, and only limited module support for them. However, flawless keyboard/mouse support, including BT dongles for them. Screen has poor viewing angles, but has never been much of an issue in normal use, especially with the keyboard/case's kickstand. Netflix, flash, youtube all work great, but screen resolution is limited on the device's screen. HDMI output works great, and it's awesome to see android on a bigscreen tv.
    Dannemand likes this.

This is a bit off topic, and yet not really...

I live within a block of a Radio Shack and I went in earlier today to price some microSD cards. I saw that they have this tablet here for $129 along with the Nook Color for $169...The Digix has a .3 webcam and is entirely unknown and the Nook is the Nook.

Any thoughts on how I can decide to get a cheap tablet here? Should I just get the Nook?

--bornagainpenguin

EDIT: Can anyone tell me how to find out if the Digix is a rebadge of some other tablet? Chances are it is but I can find almost no information about them or their devices. The model Radio Shack has is the "Tab-720" which means I get a bunch of 720p results when I google.

Carrier
    Harmonia 3

Based on everything I have read (and I have used the Nook Color), get the Nook. Don't even bother looking into the Digix.

Beyond just being better, add CM7 and you end up with a nice capable tablet, as opposed to something that has had lots of corners cut. Even if it is a rebadge, what is it going to be a rebadge of? It's not like it is a rebadged HTC or Tab. There is very little quality under $350 so anything rebadged is just rebadged junk.

The Nook Tablet 8GB is 199...just something to consider if you are going to spend 169 on the Nook Color.

Keep in mind whatever tablet you get you may want to also consider the price of accessories such as a case, kick stand, sdcard, screen protector...these items can easily add another $50 - $100, depending on what you decide to get.

Quote Originally Posted by ScatterBrained View Post
    The Nook Tablet 8GB is 199...just something to consider if you are going to spend 169 on the Nook Color.
    Trust me, I'm aware of it! Of course if I'm spending that much I might as well get the Playbook, which will also allow me to run Android apps once I install version 2.0 to it. A family friend has that tablet and is enthused by it.

Quote Originally Posted by ScatterBrained View Post
    Keep in mind whatever tablet you get you may want to also consider the price of accessories such as a case, kick stand, sdcard, screen protector...these items can easily add another $50 - $100, depending on what you decide to get.
    Heh, yeah I know, which is why I was really hoping someone would be able to give me some information on the Digix which being cheaper would allow me to spend the other thirty on those accessories. Given that the Radio Shack seems to be having a sale on micro SDcards this week...

On the other hand the Nook comes with its own accessories and any generic tablet will have to be made to work with whatever will fit...

The Nook also has a MIUI R0M, so I can really see the appeal that way too. (I do do my homework when I can, see.) If I go for the Nook I may have to wait until next month though to make sure I don't have any unexpected expenses that could break me.

--bornagainpenguin

Carrier
    Harmonia 3

As much as I like the Playbook, it doesn't work with ALL android apps. They can be found cheap though and expect them to fall further when the new one is released soon.

The Nook Color has two advantage over the Tablet... The Color is unlockable, and Bluetooth. Last I looked they still had yet to unlock the bluetooth on the Fire or Tablet. The Color is a bit slower but otherwise quite capable.

In terms of accessories, the Color, Fire and Tablet has lots, Off brands, not so much.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast