Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree11Likes

ROM
    mrg666 MiRaGe

Default Re: anyone looking for a cheap tablet?

Quote Originally Posted by ScatterBrained View Post
    The Nook Tablet 8GB is 199...just something to consider if you are going to spend 169 on the Nook Color.
    Just note that the 8GB Nook Tablet also only has 512MB RAM vs 1GB RAM on the original 16GB Tablet. Not a big deal with most current apps. But the Tablet has enough CPU power to last a while, and I wonder if that extra RAM will come in handy down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by LeslieAnn View Post
    The Nook Color has two advantage over the Tablet... The Color is unlockable, and Bluetooth. Last I looked they still had yet to unlock the bluetooth on the Fire or Tablet. The Color is a bit slower but otherwise quite capable.
    It is indeed very annoying how B&N locked the Nook Tablet down. But as I'm sure you are aware, the bootloader was cracked about 2 months ago, now allowing SD card boot, custom recovery and custom ROMs. CM7 is still in alpha (but pretty good), and CM9 hopefully on its way. It's been quite an obstacle course for the devs.

Personally I would choose the Tablet (again) over the Nook Color, just for the better hardware. If you can live with the hardware limitations (webcam etc, which none of them have) you'll still have a useful tablet 12-18 months from now. I don't know if that's true with the Nook Color.

Edit: But as I wrote previously, in the end I prefer waiting for the MeMo at the same price as the Nook Tablet.
    AC Forums Android Developer

ROM
    Harmonia 3

I agree, the Tablet is better, but the Color is still pretty capable (800mhz/4gig), and you get bluetooth once you put CM7. You can get used and refurbs for $115 on Ebay.

My brothers ran great, the only thing was it skipped on some videos, however he told me that he hadn't updated it in months and suspects that issue has long been fixed. He hasn't bothered because it ran great otherwise. I don't think his rom wasn't even new enough to have bluetooth working, so it was quite old.

Harmonia Developer for Optimus V, Optimus Elite, One V, Evo V, Evo Shift, Evo V
    Donate here if you feel inclined to brighten my day.

ROM
    mrg666 MiRaGe

Hmmm... I see what you say. If you can find a Nook Color at that price, that's actually a really good choice, even if just to buy some time until the next generation of tablets come out later this year.

Well depending on your perspective, this is either awesome or just plain lousy...of course since all we have to go on is rumor and speculation take this with a grain of salt...

source:

The Rumor

The ASUS MeMo 370T that was revealed at CES has been scrapped after Google contracted with ASUS to produce their “Nexus tablet.” Earlier reports said the device would retail for $249-199, but we are now told the target price is $149-199. The quad-core Tegra 3 version that was previously leaked is no more. Other than the 7-inch display, no additional information has been provided on the specs.
    You'll want to hit the link above for more details, but that bit I quoted seems to be the meat of the issue. So, now what?

--bornagainpenguin

PS: I'm continuing to try and track down Digix Tab-720 information and keeping an eye on the progress being made on the Nook Tablet while seriously considering the Nook Color.

ROM
    Harmonia 3

It's still just a rumor.
    I'll wait to see what comes of it all.

ROM
    mrg666 MiRaGe

Hmmm... I thought when Apple launched iPad 3 with that retina display starting at $499 (and the iPad2s dropping in price) that that would surely put some pressure on Android tablets as well. Suddenly $250 for the 7 inch MeMo didn't seem like such a steal anymore - rather just about right. Certainly last year's transformer listing at $499 (TF101 32GB) is completely out of whack.

I'll definitely be watching the response from Android vendors the next few weeks.

I bought for my son as a cheap tab for a 6 year old. It has been a bigger surprise than my OV was in function, performance, and quality. It is also from an American Company with actual English speaking support. It also has many clones sold across the world so the firmware releases have been interchangeable so there are stable ICS 4.0.3 builds. Oh forgot to mention it is also sold with root access so no worry of voiding your American warranty.

There is also a resource thread for reference:

P.S. The battery is a 3500mAh that give about 6 hours of use and 4-5 days standby. I found this important bc most of those cheapo china tabs have 1500mAh-2800mAh batteries that don't even produce 2 hours of use.
    Last edited by zedorda; 03-17-2012 at 05:38 PM.
    Thanked by 3:

ROM
    mrg666 MiRaGe

^^
    Interesting. Thank you for sharing that, zedorda.

The DiGix turned out to be a m799ca. Horrid screen, not possible to have the claimed battery life without rooting and killing the phone app constantly searching for a cellphone signal...just ugh. Luckily I was able to get a refund by pointing out the product was not as advertised and citing the store policy on warranty ending upon any alteration to the software which prevented me from even trying to fix the problem.

Got a Nook Color instead, on the recommendations of several forum members. Can you guys and gals please point me in the right direction for an easy to follow guide that walks you through rooting and romming?

Thanks!

--bornagainpenguin

ROM
    mrg666 MiRaGe

I used the xda forums for everything when we had a nook tablet. Very active community there. I assume it's the same for the nook color.

ROM
    Harmonia 3

XDA would be the place to go.

Its the only place forkindle fire roms too. It took me 38 hours before I got bored and made it an awesome ics tablet

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the suggestions. I've been all over xda most of last night and reading the Nook section here and at androidforums.com

Slowly but surely I am figuring this thing out.

Frugal Nerd Tinkerer

Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    ROM
    Rooted, leaned out stock

Just picked up a polaroid 7 inch tablet from bigg lots for $99 - comes preloaded with ICS, gig processor, 4 gigs storage, and capacitive screen. Comes prerooted and is really a great piece of tech for the price.

This will be for my son - his grandparents are pitching in to get it for him for his bday and I am confident he will love it. Just thought that you guys might want to look into one.
    Thanked by:
    bornagainpenguin likes this.

The new Samsung galaxy 2 is working out great for me. Dual core, and ICS, bluetooth, and gps. The folks at XDA already have root and CWM, and thought I'm waiting for some kick *** roms before I fool with it since stock is quite frankly great.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2
    Frugal Nerd Tinkerer

Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    ROM
    Rooted, leaned out stock

Quote Originally Posted by mknollman123 View Post
    Just picked up a polaroid 7 inch tablet from bigg lots for $99 - comes preloaded with ICS, gig processor, 4 gigs storage, and capacitive screen. Comes prerooted and is really a great piece of tech for the price.

This will be for my son - his grandparents are pitching in to get it for him for his bday and I am confident he will love it. Just thought that you guys might want to look into one.
    It is amazing to me that for about 200 total a person could have a very capable phone and tablet - for less than most phones. This Polaroid seems right up an ov owners alley.

Honestly, not touching a no name tablet. I would rather save money for something from amazon/motorola/samsung..

ROM
    Backside... MiRaGe

I originally wanted a tablet to use only when I didn't want to break out the laptop so after researching some cheaper ones and not liking what I found I stumbled across the Nook Color forum at XDA and found MRG's rom. I picked me up a Nook Color, rooted and installed Mirage and can say it's been a very good tablet. I does everything I need it to do and I actually use it all the time and don't ever hardly use my laptop.
    Android in training

Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Blastin View Post
    Honestly, not touching a no name tablet. I would rather save money for something from amazon/motorola/samsung..
    I kinda feel the same way. Cause I want a Asus Transformer and that's only $349.00 on Amazon But that is a bit expensive atm. And I bet I can find it much cheaper somewhere else.

Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0+

Honestly I love my kindle fire.. once I got the Amazon crap off of it. I don't want anything larger than a 7 inch tablet. And the ics builds with the 3.0 kernel are amazing, and only getting better

Android in training

Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by KeviiinS View Post
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0+
    That seems like a very good Tablet and at $249.99 is a ok price too.
    Frugal Nerd Tinkerer

Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    ROM
    Rooted, leaned out stock

Quote Originally Posted by Blastin View Post
    It would have agreed with you until I used this thing. At first I only considered it because it was for my. 11yo and at that price basically disposable, but it is a solid tablet. I have used the kindle as well and this Polaroid with ICS is right there with it. I know you guys see the fire and galaxy tab 7 as good deals, but this thing costs less than half that those do. I can't think of a better device for my boy ( and myself) to tinker with.

My daily driver tab is my transformer and it ofcourse is much nicer but it cost 4 times as much.

nt from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123