anyone looking for a cheap tablet?

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
i made it sound worse than it is. i just didnt wanna admit the stupid truth

its a hairline crack, not really visible while the screen is on., and it happened on my own stupidity, tossing it off a balcony while drunk last night with some friends.

i didnt toss it purposely, it flew out of my hands while i tripped on a table leg. im genuinely surprised its not completely shattered like most phones (with gorilla glass) get from that same height of a fall.

overall its a tough little tablet, that really could have been the end of it, or any device (android phone, kindle fire, iphone, etc)

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
i made it sound worse than it is. i just didnt wanna admit the stupid truth

its a hairline crack, not really visible while the screen is on., and it happened on my own stupidity, tossing it off a balcony while drunk last night with some friends.

i didnt toss it purposely, it flew out of my hands while i tripped on a table leg. im genuinely surprised its not completely shattered like most phones (with gorilla glass) get from that same height of a fall.

overall its a tough little tablet, that really could have been the end of it, or any device (android phone, kindle fire, iphone, etc)

It's still a bummer when things break.

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I hate it when that happens (getting drunk and throwing consumer electronics devices off balconies :D

Last edited:

pbailey212

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
A long time ago I was playing madden at a friends house and I ran a kickoff return for a touchdown for the win and he got mad and threw his control over his shoulder and it landed in his aquarium. The next time I went over there I looked at his aquarium and the control was still in there, right next to his rrod plagued Xbox. Best looking aquarium ever!

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I have two Coby Kyros 7022-4G tablets, and I love them both. They are no iPad, but they do everything I want them to, and they only cost me ~$150/ea. I can run CM7 on them, but I actually prefer the stock gingerbread (with a few tweaks of course). Have a keyboard/case for one, and it has replaced my two year old netbook without looking back. There is a newer model that has some slight improvements, I would recommend either to anyone with a bit of android knowledge (they don't come with market pre-installed, but it's easy to put on).

No built in GPS or BT, and only limited module support for them. However, flawless keyboard/mouse support, including BT dongles for them. Screen has poor viewing angles, but has never been much of an issue in normal use, especially with the keyboard/case's kickstand. Netflix, flash, youtube all work great, but screen resolution is limited on the device's screen. HDMI output works great, and it's awesome to see android on a bigscreen tv. ;)

Reactions: Dannemand

bornagainpenguin

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
This is a bit off topic, and yet not really...

I live within a block of a Radio Shack and I went in earlier today to price some microSD cards. I saw that they have this tablet here for $129 along with the Nook Color for $169...The Digix has a .3 webcam and is entirely unknown and the Nook is the Nook.

Any thoughts on how I can decide to get a cheap tablet here? Should I just get the Nook?

--bornagainpenguin

EDIT: Can anyone tell me how to find out if the Digix is a rebadge of some other tablet? Chances are it is but I can find almost no information about them or their devices. The model Radio Shack has is the "Tab-720" which means I get a bunch of 720p results when I google. :(

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Based on everything I have read (and I have used the Nook Color), get the Nook. Don't even bother looking into the Digix.

Beyond just being better, add CM7 and you end up with a nice capable tablet, as opposed to something that has had lots of corners cut. Even if it is a rebadge, what is it going to be a rebadge of? It's not like it is a rebadged HTC or Tab. There is very little quality under $350 so anything rebadged is just rebadged junk.

Reactions: bornagainpenguin

ScatterBrained

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
The Nook Tablet 8GB is 199...just something to consider if you are going to spend 169 on the Nook Color.

Keep in mind whatever tablet you get you may want to also consider the price of accessories such as a case, kick stand, sdcard, screen protector...these items can easily add another $50 - $100, depending on what you decide to get.

bornagainpenguin

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
The Nook Tablet 8GB is 199...just something to consider if you are going to spend 169 on the Nook Color.

Trust me, I'm aware of it! Of course if I'm spending that much I might as well get the Playbook, which will also allow me to run Android apps once I install version 2.0 to it. A family friend has that tablet and is enthused by it.

Keep in mind whatever tablet you get you may want to also consider the price of accessories such as a case, kick stand, sdcard, screen protector...these items can easily add another $50 - $100, depending on what you decide to get.

Heh, yeah I know, which is why I was really hoping someone would be able to give me some information on the Digix which being cheaper would allow me to spend the other thirty on those accessories. Given that the Radio Shack seems to be having a sale on micro SDcards this week...

On the other hand the Nook comes with its own accessories and any generic tablet will have to be made to work with whatever will fit...

The Nook also has a MIUI R0M, so I can really see the appeal that way too. (I do do my homework when I can, see.) If I go for the Nook I may have to wait until next month though to make sure I don't have any unexpected expenses that could break me.

--bornagainpenguin

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
As much as I like the Playbook, it doesn't work with ALL android apps. They can be found cheap though and expect them to fall further when the new one is released soon.

The Nook Color has two advantage over the Tablet... The Color is unlockable, and Bluetooth. Last I looked they still had yet to unlock the bluetooth on the Fire or Tablet. The Color is a bit slower but otherwise quite capable.

In terms of accessories, the Color, Fire and Tablet has lots, Off brands, not so much.

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site

Just note that the 8GB Nook Tablet also only has 512MB RAM vs 1GB RAM on the original 16GB Tablet. Not a big deal with most current apps. But the Tablet has enough CPU power to last a while, and I wonder if that extra RAM will come in handy down the road.

The Nook Color has two advantage over the Tablet... The Color is unlockable, and Bluetooth. Last I looked they still had yet to unlock the bluetooth on the Fire or Tablet. The Color is a bit slower but otherwise quite capable.

It is indeed very annoying how B&N locked the Nook Tablet down. But as I'm sure you are aware, the bootloader was cracked about 2 months ago, now allowing SD card boot, custom recovery and custom ROMs. CM7 is still in alpha (but pretty good), and CM9 hopefully on its way. It's been quite an obstacle course for the devs.

Personally I would choose the Tablet (again) over the Nook Color, just for the better hardware. If you can live with the hardware limitations (webcam etc, which none of them have) you'll still have a useful tablet 12-18 months from now. I don't know if that's true with the Nook Color.

Edit: But as I wrote previously, in the end I prefer waiting for the MeMo at the same price as the Nook Tablet.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I agree, the Tablet is better, but the Color is still pretty capable (800mhz/4gig), and you get bluetooth once you put CM7. You can get used and refurbs for $115 on Ebay.

My brothers ran great, the only thing was it skipped on some videos, however he told me that he hadn't updated it in months and suspects that issue has long been fixed. He hasn't bothered because it ran great otherwise. I don't think his rom wasn't even new enough to have bluetooth working, so it was quite old.

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm... I see what you say. If you can find a Nook Color at that price, that's actually a really good choice, even if just to buy some time until the next generation of tablets come out later this year.

bornagainpenguin

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
Well depending on your perspective, this is either awesome or just plain lousy...of course since all we have to go on is rumor and speculation take this with a grain of salt...

source: AndroidAndMe.com

The Rumor

The ASUS MeMo 370T that was revealed at CES has been scrapped after Google contracted with ASUS to produce their ?Nexus tablet.? Earlier reports said the device would retail for $249-199, but we are now told the target price is $149-199. The quad-core Tegra 3 version that was previously leaked is no more. Other than the 7-inch display, no additional information has been provided on the specs.

You'll want to hit the link above for more details, but that bit I quoted seems to be the meat of the issue. So, now what?

--bornagainpenguin

PS: I'm continuing to try and track down Digix Tab-720 information and keeping an eye on the progress being made on the Nook Tablet while seriously considering the Nook Color.

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm... I thought when Apple launched iPad 3 with that retina display starting at $499 (and the iPad2s dropping in price) that that would surely put some pressure on Android tablets as well. Suddenly $250 for the 7 inch MeMo didn't seem like such a steal anymore - rather just about right. Certainly last year's transformer listing at $499 (TF101 32GB) is completely out of whack.

I'll definitely be watching the response from Android vendors the next few weeks.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I bought Newegg.com - Iview 760TPC Android Tablet ARM Cortex-A8 1.00GHz 7" TFT Capacitive Touch Screen 512MB Memory 8GB Flash for my son as a cheap tab for a 6 year old. It has been a bigger surprise than my OV was in function, performance, and quality. It is also from an American Company with actual English speaking support. It also has many clones sold across the world so the firmware releases have been interchangeable so there are stable ICS 4.0.3 builds. Oh forgot to mention it is also sold with root access so no worry of voiding your American warranty.

There is also a resource thread for reference: IVIEW 760TPC (AllWinner A10 Tablet) Official Thread

P.S. The battery is a 3500mAh that give about 6 hours of use and 4-5 days standby. I found this important bc most of those cheapo china tabs have 1500mAh-2800mAh batteries that don't even produce 2 hours of use.

Last edited:

bornagainpenguin

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
The DiGix turned out to be a m799ca. Horrid screen, not possible to have the claimed battery life without rooting and killing the phone app constantly searching for a cellphone signal...just ugh. Luckily I was able to get a refund by pointing out the product was not as advertised and citing the store policy on warranty ending upon any alteration to the software which prevented me from even trying to fix the problem.

Got a Nook Color instead, on the recommendations of several forum members. Can you guys and gals please point me in the right direction for an easy to follow guide that walks you through rooting and romming?

Thanks!

--bornagainpenguin

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
I used the xda forums for everything when we had a nook tablet. Very active community there. I assume it's the same for the nook color.