anyone looking for a cheap tablet?

bornagainpenguin

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
I went to subscribe to get your other articles in my feed reader, but you had just the one. Are you planning on making this a regular going concern, or is this a one off?

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I went to subscribe to get your other articles in my feed reader, but you had just the one. Are you planning on making this a regular going concern, or is this a one off?

this was a one off. i have some blogs but i dont update them as much anymore. mostly for custom guitars and motorcycles i was building. i lost my portfolio of pictures (3 years of work) in a hard drive failure so i dont have too much interest in starting the blogs over :(

Ive always wanted to start a diggnation style podcast about tech, but cant find anyone else whos interested. ppl say i look like KR hahaha, should find an albrecht lookalike

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
That's too bad. It'd be nice to have a place to get reviews of this nature.

reviews are not something i do. that costs money unless you work somewhere where you get review devices for free. im very cheap. or i would not be on virgin mobile with a 25$ plan :p and also own a cheap tablet hahaha

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Hey! I'm not cheap and I use the $25 plan! :p
On Howards there was even a lawyer using it, (though I think he was just cheap).

If I used my phone more I could justify a more expensive plan, but the $25 one serves me well so why pay 3 times that.

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Hey! I'm not cheap and I use the $25 plan! :p
On Howards there was even a lawyer using it, (though I think he was just cheap).

If I used my phone more I could justify a more expensive plan, but the $25 one serves me well so why pay 3 times that.

i work freelance but i dont currently make enough to consistently pay a higher plan. definately some months but not every month. besides my triumph is still a much better phone than my old Galaxy S and I already own it. moving carriers would mean buying a new phone, something im not interested in as an addition to only MAYBE being able to cover each month.

and LOL @ the lawyer.

mknollman123

Frugal Nerd Tinkerer
Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
To quote myself (a great and famous writer) from the optimus slider forum:

"I have great credit and a steady job (my horn says toot toot) and i just switched from verizon a few months back for price and flexibility. i was fed up with a $180 cell bill for myself and my wife. we jumped just before the increase so our bill is now $80. we both still have android phones and unlimited data. Not sure why i waited as long as i did. I am ashamed that i bought into that bill of goods about vzw being SO much better than the other carriers. They are the Oakley of cell providers - a mediocre product with a premium price thanks to marketing.

Why do we always feel the need to call frugal people cheap or just say they cant afford good things. i am rich by no means, but i can afford verizon, hell i did for years, but now my eyes are open to the money i was wasting there and so many other places. If this makes me cheap then so be it."

-So watskyhotsky - I would not call you cheap - just responsible and maybe a little smarter than the average bear.

I have and love my transformer - I did a random side job last summer for a local theme park that paid well and I allowed myself ONE BIG splurge - it was the TF - and I am okay with it because it did not cause any ongoing expense. If that little tab works for you - looks decent by the way - then go for it. I also agree that it makes sense to at least mention it in this forum as well.

mrg666

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
Nook color is very cheap and most impotantly has full CM support including CM9. I have two and typing this on one of those. But lack of internal microphone and front facing camera is sometimes very disappointing. I would not buy a tablet without those again.

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
I just returned my wife's nook tablet to target the other day: NOT nook color, nook tablet, the newer one. Its hardware is very, very nice. Great screen, dual core CPU, 1GB RAM,16GB storage, very fast, elegant and smooth.

Of course B&N's restrictions make it almost useless until you root it. They finally cracked the bootloader in Jan and got CWM on it. CM7 is currently in beta, CM9 hopefully soon. There is a great dev community on XDA.

We miss it, but the reasons we decided to return it were (1) no camera for Skype (though it does have a secret mic); (2) the 1024x600 resolution and aspect ratio doesn't work with some apps; (3) $249 isn't bad, but with Asus MeMo and other tablets coming out, we think there will be better options soon; and (4) the fact that B&N seems hellbound on restricting it all the time. Be nice with a product that was as last somewhat useful without major brain surgery.

Re those restrictions (incl the locked bootloader), rumor has it that it's a requirement to having Netflix HD forced on them by Hollywood.

drezliok

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I picked up an Asus EEE Pad Transformer with dock. Though I can't consider it a cheap tablet it was rated time after time as best bang for your buck. It was on many top ten lists for 2011 tablets. I love it and you can used a PS3 controller with Bluetooth out if the box. Now has ICS too.

Did I mention I love it? I haven't touch desktop or crappy laptop since I got it.

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
I know, the transformer is a real hit, and we were very close to buying it last fall. I just can't make myself pay the same for it now (or even more) as when it came out almost a year ago. Incredible that they've been able to keep the price that high even after transformer prime was released. Last weekend I saw the prime 32GB was $499 in BB/hhgregg while the old transformer 32GB was $469 or something. That's wild considering the difference in hardware.

Last edited:

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
If they made the Transformer in a 7in, I would own one already.

Actually if it was a bit cheaper, I would as well. Not saying it isn't worth it, it's just a matter of size vs. cost to me. If I'm going to carry something that big for work, it may as well be a full windows laptop. I LOVE the idea though, and I'm looking at ways of doing something similar with the Memo once I get it.

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
If they made the Transformer in a 7in, I would own one already.

Actually if it was a bit cheaper, I would as well. Not saying it isn't worth it, it's just a matter of size vs. cost to me. If I'm going to carry something that big for work, it may as well be a full windows laptop. I LOVE the idea though, and I'm looking at ways of doing something similar with the Memo once I get it.

size is something i thought would not be that much of a buying decision for me.

i always told myself i wouldnt settle for less than a 10 inch tablet, bucuase 7 just isnt big enough to justify the cost when my phone does most of that stuff.

truth is, 7 is HUGE and definately usable for a LOT of tasks. and its a hell of a lot more portable than I thought it would be.

my 7 inch goes everywhere. even fits in a pocket in a pinch.

after owning this i imagine if i got myself a 10 incher it would stay at home, the way my 13" laptop did becuase it was too big too.

i need a bit more portability than most as my transportation is mostly based on 2 wheels and limited storage space.

tvall

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
don't ban me..
truth is, 7 is HUGE and definately usable for a LOT of tasks. and its a hell of a lot more portable than I thought it would be.

my 7 inch goes everywhere. even fits in a pocket in a pinch.

that's what she said.

after owning this i imagine if i got myself a 10 incher it would stay at home, the way my 13" laptop did becuase it was too big too.

Thats what she said

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
i discovered the front panel on my 'cheap' tablet is actually glass. not plastic as I had assumed.

also, it can crack violently.

lol. no idea how im going to get a replacement. cant see the cracks from straight on but any other angle and they stick out immediately

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Let us know how you feel in another 2 months.

i discovered the front panel on my 'cheap' tablet is actually glass. not plastic as I had assumed.

lol. no idea how im going to get a replacement. cant see the cracks from straight on but any other angle and they stick out immediately

So... it didn't even make it a week.

Don't bother trying to get a replacement. That is probably the part that fails most often, so you won't find many. If you do, it will cost as much as you paid for the tablet and, how long will it last?

bornagainpenguin

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site

That's the end of that then. I had a cheap tablet with a glass screen before (Pandigital Novel) and while it never cracked on me, the glass added weigh and made me nervous of a "violent" break. Thanks but no thanks.

dansho

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site

I'm sorry for your loss watskyhotsky :( . Other potential tablet buyers, I bought a Kindle Fire and rooted it, installed CM7, and it runs like a beast...even has solid Corning Gorilla Glass! It compliments my Optimus V perfectly and I use it for navigation with Google Maps (tether app). I really like the 7" tablet size as it is uber portable and goes wherever my Optimus V journeys.