Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    I.H.O. Mirage CM7.2

Default Security update?

LG Optimus V Software Update

I got a txt message informing me of this.

ROM
    IHO CM7 / quattrimus CM9

Default Re: Security update?

Me too, about a minute ago.

"3rd party application's ability to access code that could be used to exploit data on the handset."

How much you wanna bet it's a root patch? Either way I'm willing to say that this lame update is probably lightyears behind any security features in CMx both on the basis of newer android versions, and the work of the devs. I don't even know what would happen if you tried to install this on a custom ROM.

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts

i also got the text. who is gonna be the guinea pig and install the update?

If there s security flaw in 2.2 on the Optimus V flash 2.3 or even 4.0. Not this bs update. It will most likely patch one small issue and then break root
    LG Optimus V - CM 9.1 BobZ
    AC Forums Android Developer

ROM
    Harmonia 3

It's a radio update, that much I can confirm, which if I remember right, brings the radio software up to match the Optimus S.

It might also have a PRL update, as well as the 2.2.2 update for older phones.
    Regardless, you can almost bet that this will destroy root, and tether. It could also destroy your phone if you are rooted.

This is NOT a small patch, this is a full rom, plus radio update.

Give me a few to pull it apart and then I can say more.

Harmonia Developer for Optimus V, Optimus Elite, One V, Evo V, Evo Shift, Evo V
    Donate here if you feel inclined to brighten my day.
    Thanked by 4:
    bdfull3r and wwkang like this.

ROM
    Harmonia 3

Exactly as I thought.

It is a radio update, not sure if it matches the Optimus S or not though.
    I can pull the radio img and make a flasher if anyone wants that, but it may need a different radio driver. Which could break compatibility with all current roms.

It is a full rom, 2.2.2, while not GB, it shows VM may intend to keep this phone around a bit longer. So we may see GB yet. The radio may contain a PRL update but I have no way to check without flashing it.

This WILL remove root.
    It may not destroy your phone, and it won't destroy your data, it WILL remove Superuser and the ability to tether. Superuser is easy to replace with a flash, if it doesn't remove the custom recovery, but I can't be certain that it won't destroy that.

Edit:
    Yes this destroys recovery as well.
    So all root will be lost.

It can simply be repackaged to not lose root, but other than the radio, there is really nothing here for rooted users.

Thanked by 14:
    + Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks for the information. So what's the difference in radios?
    LG Optimus V - CM 9.1 BobZ

ROM
    cm9

How do you flash the radio on this device? Wanna try it..
    my roms & kernels (based on iho)

If you'd like to donate to me, i accept litecoin, bitcoin, and hardware
    LTC - LTVALL5gsjPvgeiBWD7c6DHNWidbpzVu3w
    BTC - 1TVALLetFibDe8Zap5qPsqa4BAJWQYQ59

Thanks for looking out for us Leslie!

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk
    Android in training

Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

So I never got a text from VM about a update. Is this because I am using IHO backside rom? And will it matter if I have this update or not?

ROM
    AOKP 4.1.1

From what I can see from a post on Android Forums, it also patches the gingerbreak root exploit. Someone installed the update and now cannot root his phone using it.

ROM
    Harmonia 3

If you want the radio update, wait for one of us devs to pull the package apart and make it a flashable that won't ruin root or anything else. It's a simple task, I'm just am not in the mood at the moment to do it right this minute.

We can pull this apart and get everything, and make it flashable without ruining root, that's not an issue. In fact it's extremely easy, so please...

Don't use this until one of us devs makes a flasher for rooted users!!
    It won't be long, but really we don't need it.

Thanked by 3:
    Banned

ROM
    Reflash Miui every2-3days

Aren't these roms already malaware'd patched?

Also, the V now has a radio?

ROM
    Mirage

Quote Originally Posted by CuriousNoob View Post
    Aren't these roms already malaware'd patched?

Also, the V now has a radio?

Yes, by nature of being the latest versions of Android our roms(well, except maybe the Froyo ones) already have Google's security patches. Malware is just a scare tactic VM is using to try to prevent us from rooting.

And the radio is the cell radio, not the FM radio (which has been disabled at the hardware level on the OV for reasons I haven't been able to figure out).

ROM
    Harmonia 3

The FM radio is missing parts for cost reasons.

The radio update has been around a while, there was just no way to use it. They aren't doing it to ruin root, they are bringing older OV's up to current when compared to newer ones.

One nice thing this will do though, those wanting it, can now do a wipe/reset in recovery, then flash this and it will return their phone to factory stock.

Please people, stop with the conspiracies.

Themer. You've seen them

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by LeslieAnn View Post

The radio update has been around a while, there was just no way to use it. They aren't doing it to ruin root, they are bringing older OV's up to current when compared to newer ones.

One nice thing this will do though, those wanting it, can now do a wipe/reset in recovery, then flash this and it will return their phone to factory stock.

So is rooting impossible if you flash this update? How will you test roms on your ov leslieann since you flashed the update?!?!

ROM
    Harmonia 2.08 & Mobster

Quote Originally Posted by LeslieAnn View Post

This would be awesome to have for people when they sell/gift their OV away. Are they providing a link for the update file or is it OTA only at this point?

Nevermind I figured it out. I don't plan on installing it but if I ever get rid of my phone I'll definitely put it on.
    SAMLOKA

Just wondering if VM know users are rooted? Not concerned just curious.

So if I'm not rooted (yet) should I go ahead and install this and wait for the devs to adapt their ROMs? My phone is 2.2.2 and SW version VM670ZV5 so I expect they will try to push this to me at some point. Thoughts??
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

ROM
    I.H.O. Mirage CM7.2

Quote Originally Posted by VariantVT View Post
    So if I'm not rooted (yet) should I go ahead and install this and wait for the devs to adapt their ROMs? My phone is 2.2.2 and SW version VM670ZV5 so I expect they will try to push this to me at some point. Thoughts??
    The update might make it harder to root. So I'd root now.
    Where did u hear tht word

ROM
    MiRaGe - IHO CM7.2

Very interesting topic and posts....
    I received no such message myself as of today/ tonight.
    Nevertheless, any message from VM or link to do such a thing WOULD be rediculous to do for rooted user.
    let the devs check it out and break it down as mentioned )

ROM
    Stock 2.3.7 Rooted :)

You can get the update off of VM's website, just go to the OV page and it will be listed on the right side towards the bottom along with a very overdrawn installation guide

Just so I understand, if you install this you will lose root. But does that mean it will be impossible to gain root again and return to a custom ROM?

For instance, I am running Bobzhome 2.3.7 ROM. If I install this update, it will remove root, remove custom recovery, remove SU, and return me to a stock 2.2.2 OS. But, would one be able able to use Gingerbreak 1.2 for root, then install SU on the new update, and so on and so forth until my custom ROM is back on the phone? That's the only part of this mess I am not understanding. I get you will lose root, but is it just until you get it back or does this update completely block the use of SU and Gingerbreak?

ROM
    Harmonia 3

For now, if you flash it, there is no known method to regain root.

I can make a flasher that will retain root, and upgrade the rom and radio, but that will ruing the ability to overclock, and probably the ability to use any other rom until we get it sorted, this is why i haven't done it.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonycr View Post
    So is rooting impossible if you flash this update? How will you test roms on your ov leslieann since you flashed the update?!?!
    I haven't flashed it, I pulled the rom/update apart and have been going over it.

I don't want to risk my OV because if I trash it, I have no desire to buy another.

ROM
    mrg666 MiRaGe

I know LeslieAnn said to stop with the conspiracy theories - good advice. I have to mention this though: VMU said they would implement the 2.5GB data cap/throttling starting Mar 23 - a week from today.

Might this update (incl radio) be part of how they mean to implement the throttle?

Just a thought. But the timing is noteworthy.

And please, DON'T start debating that throttle thing again, no matter what you think of it. This thread is too important to be flooded.

Edit: saw the other thread about this where the throttle was already mentioned - although taking the discussion deep into conspiracy terrain. That is NOT my intention. Over & out.

Quote Originally Posted by Dannemand View Post
    I know LeslieAnn said to stop with the conspiracy theories - good advice. I have to mention this though: VMU said they would implement the 2.5GB data cap/throttling starting Mar 23 - a week from today.

Might this update (incl radio) be part of how they mean to implement the throttle?

Just a thought. But the timing is noteworthy.

And please, DON'T start debating that throttle thing again, no matter what you think of it. This thread is too important to be flooded.

Edit: saw the other thread about this where the throttle was already mentioned - although taking the discussion deep into conspiracy terrain. That is NOT my intention. Over & out.
    No... There has always been an invisible throttling cap.

Sent from space
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast