Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes
    DF3

Default Re: starting may 27th grandfathered plans will no longer be perma

Positive is that it seems new phones are finally going to come to VMobile. Negative is that it will result in the loss of the $25 plan to get a worthy successor to the Optimus V.

Seeing as how I rarely break 100 minutes a month, and I'm on Vmobile for the data I'll probably be going over the Tmobile when I decide to finally retire my trusty Optimus V. That won't be for a while though unless I happen to stumble upon an amazing deal on an awesome smartphone compatible with Tmobile.
    King Of Pants

ROM
    CM10/Sense

much easier to auto pay via credit or debit. then you dont have to speak with their moronic customer service drones who know less than even 'alex' their other automated moron :banghead:
    Thanked by:
    Frugal Nerd Tinkerer

Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    ROM
    Rooted, leaned out stock

For me this changes little for now. I am annoyed by it, but it is true that with no contract I can vote with my feet later if I want to.

As for right now - I have no intention of changing devices again any time soon so I will try and dwell on the fact that for me for now this changes nothing - and as stated above when I do look to upgrade I will look harder at all the alternatives than I might have without this change.

I know $5 or $10 seems trivial but I am constantly working to lower my monthly expenses even if only a few bucks at a time and it has really added up - there is a good chance that VM is still the best deal out there even with this increase - I just hate to see any bill go in that upward direction.

Sure glad the OV is such a b@d@$$ device - love this trusty little guy

The way I see it, we shouldn't be complaining. It was bound to happen. Ever since the data hoggers jumped along, VM has had to make serious changes. We.can't blame them, seriously.
    If you don't want to pay $5-10 more then go to another carrier. They all have their own ridiculous rules or fine print. Just think, the increase is for somewhat of a better network.
    Me personally, I'm switching to TMO with a contract. I'd rather not deal with buying a phone full price every time my phone breaks or stupid things like this happen (VMs change). I live in Puerto Rico, Sprint/VM/Boost does not have 4G and won't have it anytime soon. Seriously their 3G is horrible, even Sprint Contract customers don't reach 1MB speeds, meanwhile At&T has LTE reaching 15+MBs in a huge chunk of the island, Tmobile has very decent and consistent 4G in bigger city areas (reaching like 8 or 9+MBs. They're supposedly announcing LTE this week. And then we have two local prepaid companies also with LTE. So staying with VM, paying $5 more, and buying a 4G phone is pointless for me, because i won't ever use 4G or even faster network capabilities unless i use it when i go visit the Mainland. Plus i don't want to do that and still have LESS than 512kb speeds.
    So it all depends on where you live, and your options. If you're gonna benefit fron the upgraded network and better phones, then you should stay quiet because you won't find another carrier doing the same. And every carrier lately has made changes that their customers don't like.
    Me, switching to TMO I'd be paying $55, for 300 mins, all incoming calls are free, long distance free, roaming free, nights and weekends free and 2GBs of 4G and if i reach my cap, i just get throttled. Add that to getting the Textplus app, I'm a happy camper(;

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by tony5593; 04-25-2012 at 01:28 PM.
    OV = Best Android phone to start off with. Best decision I've ever made with a phone. Best community (and biggest I've seen) of DEVs, Noobs and just normal people all together, helping each other tweak, hack, mod, etc.
    xD

How is it that so many people are using the 300 minute plan? I have no landline, my cell phone is my ONLY phone and I could NEVER stay under 300 minutes unless I was a hermit or something. Seriously, I wonder at people who only use 100 minutes a month. Im on the $45 a month plan, so I really dont care at all about this announcement, basically I am paying $50 a month no matter where I go. Phone rates are all pretty much the same as I actually use about 400 or more minutes a month.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

ROM
    MiRaGe ROM/jawz101 kernel

I guess this'll be the time at which I finally port my number to Google Voice & then take the cheap plan.

Quote Originally Posted by droidmyme View Post
    How is it that so many people are using the 300 minute plan? I have no landline, my cell phone is my ONLY phone and I could NEVER stay under 300 minutes unless I was a hermit or something. Seriously, I wonder at people who only use 100 minutes a month. Im on the $45 a month plan, so I really dont care at all about this announcement, basically I am paying $50 a month no matter where I go. Phone rates are all pretty much the same as I actually use about 400 or more minutes a month.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2
    I honestly don't know who uses the phone all that much these days. Most months I'm under 100 minutes, I think one I had 13 minutes. Now, if I didn't have GrooveIP as an option, I'd need an unlimited plan, as the days when I work from home I'm on the phone 80-120 minutes on average.

The reason I like Virgin Mobile so much and don't care about the data speeds or the plan increases is because they don't make me buy minutes and texts that I simply don't use. I just wish the throttling threshold was lower. I don't tether, I don't download torrents, I use wifi whenever possible, and I'm still at 3.8 GB, 23 days into my current billing cycle.

ROM
    I.H.O. Mirage CM7.2

I never go over my 300. I don't have a land line. My wife also has the 300min plan. So we pay $53 a month for service that would cost $180 if we were contract.
    RT78 likes this.
    SAMLOKA

Was thinking of trying out other brands, this makes me want to leave for good.
    AC Forums Android Developer

ROM
    Harmonia 3

Quote Originally Posted by mknollman123 View Post
    Sure glad the OV is such a b@d@$$ device - love this trusty little guy
    The Evos are just about as impressive in terms of durability (aluminum frame and the battery stays in when it falls!), and the rest of it is so next level, it makes the OV seem like a toy.

Don;t get me wrong, the OV is an awesome little phone, but you will get more out of the Evo than you can imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean OGorman View Post
    I honestly don't know who uses the phone all that much these days. Most months I'm under 100 minutes, I think one I had 13 minutes. Now, if I didn't have GrooveIP as an option, I'd need an unlimited plan, as the days when I work from home I'm on the phone 80-120 minutes on average.
    You should see the people here, they are on the phone CONSTANTLY. You will have 4 people in a car and all 4 will be on the phone talking to other people.
    Last edited by LeslieAnn; 04-25-2012 at 06:31 PM.

Harmonia Developer for Optimus V, Optimus Elite, One V, Evo V, Evo Shift, Evo V
    Donate here if you feel inclined to brighten my day.
    Thanked by:
    RT78 
    RT78 likes this.

ROM
    BACKside, TMU Bugless

Just found this thread, here's my two cents worth...I plan on using my V until it's so far outdated that it just won't work with their network anymore. I figure I've got about another seven or eight years of life in it.

Sent from the BACKside of Tapatalk 2
    #_ Guru-to-Noob Translator C:/_ .

ROM
    Harmonia 3

Quote Originally Posted by brotherswing View Post
    Just found this thread, here's my two cents worth...I plan on using my V until it's so far outdated that it just won't work with their network anymore. I figure I've got about another seven or eight years of life in it.
    The battery life and availability will probably be what finally kills the OV off. I think Tonka must have helped design it.

Thanked by:
    RT78 likes this.

ROM
    BACKside, TMU Bugless

As in surviving a drop off a cliff?

LeslieAnn likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by brotherswing View Post

I used a Nokia flip phone for 4 years before finally moving on to a smartphone, then went through 4 different phones before settling on an OV about a year ago, and I plan to stay with it until NFC becomes mainstream.

ROM
    Cold As Ice Alpha 9 & CM9

I love my OV in every way (despite being a bit slow on the memory side). Seeing a major OV icon (that's you, Leslie) praise another phone makes me think that it may be time to retire my old girl and upgrade to the Evo (and possibly even going into the higher end phones, provided they have rootability and good developer support). But for now I enjoy my ICS craaaaaaavings and to have them fulfilled.

Sent from my LG Optimus V running Quattrimus ICS, courtesy of tdm and his band of outlaws
    Thanked by:
    RT78 
    RT78 likes this.

ROM
    Harmonia 3

Quote Originally Posted by world_indo1 View Post
    I love my OV in every way (despite being a bit slow on the memory side). Seeing a major OV icon (that's you, Leslie) praise another phone makes me think that it may be time to retire my old girl and upgrade to the Evo (and possibly even going into the higher end phones, provided they have rootability and good developer support). But for now I enjoy my ICS craaaaaaavings and to have them fulfilled.

Sent from my LG Optimus V running Quattrimus ICS, courtesy of tdm and his band of outlaws
    ICS is a daily driver on the Evo 4G at this point, not sure about the 3D, I don't monitor that forum. There are a few minor bugs, but nothing most can't live without, and it is much further along than the OV ICS.

As much as I like the OV, I won't be going back, my Evo is just too awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by droidmyme View Post
    How is it that so many people are using the 300 minute plan? I have no landline, my cell phone is my ONLY phone and I could NEVER stay under 300 minutes unless I was a hermit or something. Seriously, I wonder at people who only use 100 minutes a month.

W...w..what a thing....to say...
    mechanibal likes this.

ROM
    Stock, CM10, AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by bornagainpenguin View Post

W...w..what a thing....to say...
    Hahahaha...forever alone

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

ROM
    BACKside, TMU Bugless

Fwiw, I use GrooveIP, so 300 minutes is plenty. The only time I use minutes is when I'm not at home on WiFi.

20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #95  

Question for you LeslieAnn,

Since you're familiar with changing ESNs and using sprint's evo 4G on VM...

IF I stick around with VM and wait to see how the 3G is after the network upgrades, and they actually do improve...could I then still change phones with the esn thing with the evo4g after the May 27th date without them raising my rates?

They'd essentially still think I was using the OV correct?

Interesting, will the EVO 4g get WiMax speed under VM without the 35-and-up plans?

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

ROM
    Harmona 2.07

I was planning on getting one of the new phones when they come out but since vm is going to do this...f.ck them. Screw the htc evo 3d it whatever the hell they are getting. Truimph is just as good and when I root it and rom it, it will be 2x better than the htc evo 3d.
    Android in training

Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by kakapopo View Post
    I was planning on getting one of the new phones when they come out but since vm is going to do this...f.ck them. Screw the htc evo 3d it whatever the hell they are getting. Truimph is just as good and when I root it and rom it, it will be 2x better than the htc evo 3d.
    The new phones will be WAAAY better then the Triumph.
    Banned

ROM
    BACKside IHO/bobzhome

I doubt they will be to much better then the triumph. Maybe slightly better

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

ROM
    BACKside, TMU Bugless

Why is every one so upset about this? Yes, it's an extra $10 a month, but it isn't unreasonable. The cost of doing business has gone up, and it's not like they have increased the price for everyone right off the bat. The fact that they allowed us to keep the lower priced plans has been very cool on their part, especially since there are no contracts - they weren't obliged to do so.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast