starting may 27th grandfathered plans will no longer be permanent

anon(235100)

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Re: starting may 27th grandfathered plans will no longer be perma

I guess this'll be the time at which I finally port my number to Google Voice & then take the cheap plan.

Sean OGorman

May 13, 2011
Visit site

How is it that so many people are using the 300 minute plan? I have no landline, my cell phone is my ONLY phone and I could NEVER stay under 300 minutes unless I was a hermit or something. Seriously, I wonder at people who only use 100 minutes a month. Im on the $45 a month plan, so I really dont care at all about this announcement, basically I am paying $50 a month no matter where I go. Phone rates are all pretty much the same as I actually use about 400 or more minutes a month.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

I honestly don't know who uses the phone all that much these days. Most months I'm under 100 minutes, I think one I had 13 minutes. Now, if I didn't have GrooveIP as an option, I'd need an unlimited plan, as the days when I work from home I'm on the phone 80-120 minutes on average.

The reason I like Virgin Mobile so much and don't care about the data speeds or the plan increases is because they don't make me buy minutes and texts that I simply don't use. I just wish the throttling threshold was lower. I don't tether, I don't download torrents, I use wifi whenever possible, and I'm still at 3.8 GB, 23 days into my current billing cycle.

drezliok

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I never go over my 300. I don't have a land line. My wife also has the 300min plan. So we pay $53 a month for service that would cost $180 if we were contract.

notown

SAMLOKA
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site

Was thinking of trying out other brands, this makes me want to leave f
Code:
or good.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

Sure glad the OV is such a b@d@$$ device - love this trusty little guy

The Evos are just about as impressive in terms of durability (aluminum frame and the battery stays in when it falls!), and the rest of it is so next level, it makes the OV seem like a toy.

Don;t get me wrong, the OV is an awesome little phone, but you will get more out of the Evo than you can imagine.

I honestly don't know who uses the phone all that much these days. Most months I'm under 100 minutes, I think one I had 13 minutes. Now, if I didn't have GrooveIP as an option, I'd need an unlimited plan, as the days when I work from home I'm on the phone 80-120 minutes on average.

You should see the people here, they are on the phone CONSTANTLY. You will have 4 people in a car and all 4 will be on the phone talking to other people.

Last edited:
Reactions: RT78

brotherswing

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Just found this thread, here's my two cents worth...I plan on using my V until it's so far outdated that it just won't work with their network anymore. I figure I've got about another seven or eight years of life in it.

Sent from the BACKside of Tapatalk 2

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

Just found this thread, here's my two cents worth...I plan on using my V until it's so far outdated that it just won't work with their network anymore. I figure I've got about another seven or eight years of life in it.
The battery life and availability will probably be what finally kills the OV off. I think Tonka must have helped design it.

Reactions: brotherswing

Sean OGorman

May 13, 2011
Visit site

I used a Nokia flip phone for 4 years before finally moving on to a smartphone, then went through 4 different phones before settling on an OV about a year ago, and I plan to stay with it until NFC becomes mainstream.

world_indo1

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I love my OV in every way (despite being a bit slow on the memory side). Seeing a major OV icon (that's you, Leslie) praise another phone makes me think that it may be time to retire my old girl and upgrade to the Evo (and possibly even going into the higher end phones, provided they have rootability and good developer support). But for now I enjoy my ICS craaaaaaavings and to have them fulfilled.

Sent from my LG Optimus V running Quattrimus ICS, courtesy of tdm and his band of outlaws ;)

Reactions: RT78

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

I love my OV in every way (despite being a bit slow on the memory side). Seeing a major OV icon (that's you, Leslie) praise another phone makes me think that it may be time to retire my old girl and upgrade to the Evo (and possibly even going into the higher end phones, provided they have rootability and good developer support). But for now I enjoy my ICS craaaaaaavings and to have them fulfilled.

Sent from my LG Optimus V running Quattrimus ICS, courtesy of tdm and his band of outlaws ;)
ICS is a daily driver on the Evo 4G at this point, not sure about the 3D, I don't monitor that forum. There are a few minor bugs, but nothing most can't live without, and it is much further along than the OV ICS.

As much as I like the OV, I won't be going back, my Evo is just too awesome.

bornagainpenguin

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site

How is it that so many people are using the 300 minute plan? I have no landline, my cell phone is my ONLY phone and I could NEVER stay under 300 minutes unless I was a hermit or something. Seriously, I wonder at people who only use 100 minutes a month.

Untitled-1.jpg

W...w..what a thing....to say...

brotherswing

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Fwiw, I use GrooveIP, so 300 minutes is plenty. The only time I use minutes is when I'm not at home on WiFi.

colonelcack

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

Question for you LeslieAnn,

Since you're familiar with changing ESNs and using sprint's evo 4G on VM...

IF I stick around with VM and wait to see how the 3G is after the network upgrades, and they actually do improve...could I then still change phones with the esn thing with the evo4g after the May 27th date without them raising my rates?

They'd essentially still think I was using the OV correct?

kakapopo

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site

I was planning on getting one of the new phones when they come out but since vm is going to do this...f.ck them. Screw the htc evo 3d it whatever the hell they are getting. Truimph is just as good and when I root it and rom it, it will be 2x better than the htc evo 3d.

Kahroo

Android in training
Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I was planning on getting one of the new phones when they come out but since vm is going to do this...f.ck them. Screw the htc evo 3d it whatever the hell they are getting. Truimph is just as good and when I root it and rom it, it will be 2x better than the htc evo 3d.

The new phones will be WAAAY better then the Triumph.

brotherswing

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Why is every one so upset about this? Yes, it's an extra $10 a month, but it isn't unreasonable. The cost of doing business has gone up, and it's not like they have increased the price for everyone right off the bat. The fact that they allowed us to keep the lower priced plans has been very cool on their part, especially since there are no contracts - they weren't obliged to do so.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan