Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 126 to 150 of 155
Like Tree21Likes
  1. #126  
    LeslieAnn's Avatar
    AC Forums Android Developer

    Posts
    2,893 Posts
    ROM
    Harmonia 3

    Default Re: starting may 27th grandfathered plans will no longer be perma

    Quote Originally Posted by Kahroo View Post
    But do you really think VM would get a iPhone?
    Not anytime soon.

    And try not to read too much into the VM vs. Boost stuff, they each have gotten phones before the other.

    Harmonia Developer for Optimus V, Optimus Elite, One V, Evo V, Evo Shift, Evo V
    Donate here if you feel inclined to brighten my day.
    Thanked by:
  2. #127  
    brotherswing's Avatar

    Posts
    540 Posts
    ROM
    BACKside, TMU Bugless

    Default

    It's only been the past three years or so that the prepaid carriers have had any decent handsets at all, I'm not really holding my breath that anything top tier will become available. Short of getting a decent phone and flashing it to a prepaid carrier, I think most people will have to content themselves with low-mid range devices.

    Sent from the BACKside of Tapatalk 2
    #_ Guru-to-Noob Translator C:/_ .
  3. #128  
    Kahroo's Avatar
    Android in training

    Posts
    200 Posts
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: starting may 27th grandfathered plans will no longer be perma

    Quote Originally Posted by brotherswing View Post
    Short of getting a decent phone and flashing it to a prepaid carrier
    I kinda wish we could do this to any unlocked phone.
  4. #129  
    frostyon420's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    82 Posts
    ROM
    BACKside IHO/bobzhome

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LeslieAnn View Post
    If you like Apple but can't afford it, it will be good.
    If you like Apple being exclusive, it's bad.

    Expect prices to drop, and quality (to some extent) to most likely along with it. There is a lot of signs already that things are changing.
    Good in the sense that Iphone would jump in the game.....bad cuz say goodbye to more bandwidth lol carriers r having a hard time keeping up with demand. also it's not like we would get any newer model one...maybe a 3gs or somethin

    Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2
  5. #130  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by frostyon420 View Post
    also it's not like we would get any newer model one...maybe a 3gs or somethin

    Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2
    That would leave me out then, the 3GS doesn't like my hearing aids. The Optimus V on the other hand has an M4 rating and a T5, which really shows in how well it syncs with the telecoil on my hearing aids almost like switching on a pair of noise canceling headphones..

    Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk
  6. #131  
    brotherswing's Avatar

    Posts
    540 Posts
    ROM
    BACKside, TMU Bugless

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bornagainpenguin View Post
    That would leave me out then, the 3GS doesn't like my hearing aids. The Optimus V on the other hand has an M4 rating and a T5, which really shows in how well it syncs with the telecoil on my hearing aids almost like switching on a pair of noise canceling headphones..

    Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk
    I never knew about that, I don't use hearing aids but I do have a 30% hearing loss on one side. I compensate by using obnoxiously loud ringtones and setting a massive boost in DSP manager.

    Sent from the BACKside of Tapatalk 2
    #_ Guru-to-Noob Translator C:/_ .
  7. #132  

    Default

    I do those too, but I love being able to tap the T switch and get the audio directly to my ear. That's why I miss the ability to have headphones so much in IHO, I used to be able to use my telecoil and get stereo communication.. Now I have to do one ear only again. :sly:

    Still better than Froyo at this point though, so I persevere.

    Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk
  8. #133  
    brotherswing's Avatar

    Posts
    540 Posts
    ROM
    BACKside, TMU Bugless

    Default

    I have stereo in my headset with BACKside, using some cheap skullcandys I got on sale.

    Sent from the BACKside of Tapatalk 2
    #_ Guru-to-Noob Translator C:/_ .
  9. #134  

    Default Re: starting may 27th grandfathered plans will no longer be perma

    Here are some details about the change:

    Good news is you can still swap to Optimus V, Triumph, Wildfire S phones after May 27.
  10. #135  

    Default Re: starting may 27th grandfathered plans will no longer be perma

    Quote Originally Posted by klei121 View Post
    Here are some details about the change:

    Good news is you can still swap to Optimus V, Triumph, Wildfire S phones after May 27.
    that's good to know i can upgrade after that date. i might try a Triumph after there prices drop more. right now though my optimus is still doing great. its everything i need.
  11. #136  
    brotherswing's Avatar

    Posts
    540 Posts
    ROM
    BACKside, TMU Bugless

    Default

    Hmmm, it's specs are decent, but I haven't heard many good things about it.

    Sent from the BACKside of Tapatalk 2
    #_ Guru-to-Noob Translator C:/_ .
  12. #137  
    LeslieAnn's Avatar
    AC Forums Android Developer

    Posts
    2,893 Posts
    ROM
    Harmonia 3

    Default Re: starting may 27th grandfathered plans will no longer be perma

    Quote Originally Posted by brotherswing View Post
    Hmmm, it's specs are decent, but I haven't heard many good things about it.
    Specs alone don't make or break a good phone.
    The OV's specs stink, but it's a great little phone.


    I look at the OV as the Triumphs nemesis.
    Ov, crap hardware, small screen, but fantastic build quality.
    Triumph has great specs and a large screen, but crap build quality.

    I'll take build quality.

    Harmonia Developer for Optimus V, Optimus Elite, One V, Evo V, Evo Shift, Evo V
    Donate here if you feel inclined to brighten my day.
    Thanked by 2:
    glarepate and mechanibal like this.
  13. #138  
    brotherswing's Avatar

    Posts
    540 Posts
    ROM
    BACKside, TMU Bugless

    Default

    I couldn't agree more!

    Sent from the BACKside of Tapatalk 2
    #_ Guru-to-Noob Translator C:/_ .
  14. #139  

    Default Re: starting may 27th grandfathered plans will no longer be perma

    Does anyone know if any good new phones will drop before May.27? I would really like to upgrade and am hoping they release the evo 3d before the cutoff so people can still be grandfathered and have something better then the optimus v.
  15. #140  
    SuppliedRelic's Avatar
    Android Fanboy

    Posts
    117 Posts
    ROM
    OM-Mandylion

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by roblox84 View Post
    Does anyone know if any good new phones will drop before May.27? I would really like to upgrade and am hoping they release the evo 3d before the cutoff so people can still be grandfathered and have something better then the optimus v.
    I highly doubt they will do that considering it's a 4G capable handset.

    Sent from my LG Optimus V running OM_Mandylion-IHO using Tapatalk 2
  16. #141  

    Default Re: starting may 27th grandfathered plans will no longer be perma

    Quote Originally Posted by SuppliedRelic View Post
    I highly doubt they will do that considering it's a 4G capable handset.

    Sent from my LG Optimus V running OM_Mandylion-IHO using Tapatalk 2
    Damn. So I guess I will have to stick with my optimus or upgrade to the triumph although the bad reviews about the triumph are a little off putting.
  17. #142  
    LeslieAnn's Avatar
    AC Forums Android Developer

    Posts
    2,893 Posts
    ROM
    Harmonia 3

    Default Re: starting may 27th grandfathered plans will no longer be perma

    Quote Originally Posted by roblox84 View Post
    Does anyone know if any good new phones will drop before May.27? I would really like to upgrade and am hoping they release the evo 3d before the cutoff so people can still be grandfathered and have something better then the optimus v.
    I would put money that the Optimus Elite will be out by then.
    I also have heard wispers that the One V might.
    Don't count on either though.

    Keep in mind, both are 3g phones (I think), but either would make a nice present/upgrade for grandfathered users if done in time to allow them to stay on the old plans with a newer phone. Also, even if you get it on the 24th, if the phone is scheduled for launch the 28th, Virgin may force you to wait until then, or make you change your plan. It wouldn't be the first time.

    Even though I don't expect it (I don't expect any 4g phones before the cutoff date), I have a bit set aside just in case the 3D drops before that date so I can grab it.


    If none of this happens,
    What you do is wait for Triumph users to upgrade, and then buy a known, good working Triumph for cheap. I also may know of an Evo 4g that could qualify.

    Harmonia Developer for Optimus V, Optimus Elite, One V, Evo V, Evo Shift, Evo V
    Donate here if you feel inclined to brighten my day.
  18. #143  

    Default Re: starting may 27th grandfathered plans will no longer be perma

    Quote Originally Posted by LeslieAnn View Post
    I would put money that the Optimus Elite will be out by then.
    I also have heard wispers that the One V might.
    Don't count on either though.

    Keep in mind, both are 3g phones (I think), but either would make a nice present/upgrade for grandfathered users if done in time to allow them to stay on the old plans with a newer phone. Also, even if you get it on the 24th, if the phone is scheduled for launch the 28th, Virgin may force you to wait until then, or make you change your plan. It wouldn't be the first time.

    Even though I don't expect it (I don't expect any 4g phones before the cutoff date), I have a bit set aside just in case the 3D drops before that date so I can grab it.


    If none of this happens,
    What you do is wait for Triumph users to upgrade, and then buy a known, good working Triumph for cheap. I also may know of an Evo 4g that could qualify.

    I am definitely not betting on it but I will remain very hopeful. I am mostly hoping that anything much better then the optimus v releases before May 27th so I can upgrade and have a decent phone for a few years. Even if it won't be 4g I will gladly still use 3g to avoid being bumped up 10 dollars a month since a 25 dollar a month "unlimited" data plan is unheard of now a day's.

    Edit.....Which one would you prefer, the optimus elite or triumph? I have heard really bad things about the triumph but I am unsure of whether the owners were using the stock firmware or custom. I would imagine that with custom firmware the triumph wouldn't be such a buggy phone.
  19. #144  
    Eollie's Avatar

    Posts
    1,566 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,575 Global Posts
    ROM
    Some arrogant a-holes

    Default Re: starting may 27th grandfathered plans will no longer be perma

    Since the phone is un-released its hard to recommend it.

    The Triumph has little to no real development.

    I think you might be out of luck.
  20. #145  
    LeslieAnn's Avatar
    AC Forums Android Developer

    Posts
    2,893 Posts
    ROM
    Harmonia 3

    Default Re: starting may 27th grandfathered plans will no longer be perma

    Quote Originally Posted by roblox84 View Post
    Edit.....Which one would you prefer, the optimus elite or triumph?
    Personally...
    I avoid the Triumph like the plague.
    I don't care if they fixed "most" of the problems, I don't buy low end products with high end specs. There is always huge compromises made in those situations.

    Optimus V - a collection of quality, but cheap parts, wrapped around a cheap, but well designed shell.
    Triumph - a few very good parts, surrounded by a bunch of crap parts in order to make those good parts affordable.

    Harmonia Developer for Optimus V, Optimus Elite, One V, Evo V, Evo Shift, Evo V
    Donate here if you feel inclined to brighten my day.
    Thanked by:
  21. #146  

    Default Re: starting may 27th grandfathered plans will no longer be perma

    Quote Originally Posted by LeslieAnn View Post
    I would put money that the Optimus Elite will be out by then.
    I also have heard wispers that the One V might.
    Don't count on either though.

    Keep in mind, both are 3g phones (I think), but either would make a nice present/upgrade for grandfathered users if done in time to allow them to stay on the old plans with a newer phone. Also, even if you get it on the 24th, if the phone is scheduled for launch the 28th, Virgin may force you to wait until then, or make you change your plan. It wouldn't be the first time.

    Even though I don't expect it (I don't expect any 4g phones before the cutoff date), I have a bit set aside just in case the 3D drops before that date so I can grab it.


    If none of this happens,
    What you do is wait for Triumph users to upgrade, and then buy a known, good working Triumph for cheap. I also may know of an Evo 4g that could qualify.
    In terms of buying a phone from the new lineup it's already too late to keep your grandfathered plan. They have stated on the web page (see link in someone's previous comment) that your grandfathered plan will go up if you buy any phone released after May 1st. That date has already passed even though the only new phone you can get is the Elite and it isn't on the VM website yet.
  22. #147  

    Default Re: starting may 27th grandfathered plans will no longer be perma

    Quote Originally Posted by glarepate View Post
    In terms of buying a phone from the new lineup it's already too late to keep your grandfathered plan. They have stated on the web page (see link in someone's previous comment) that your grandfathered plan will go up if you buy any phone released after May 1st. That date has already passed even though the only new phone you can get is the Elite and it isn't on the VM website yet.
    That's what I thought so I emailed them and got this back:

    Hello Robert,

    Thanks for contacting Virgin Mobile Customer Care.

    First let me extend my apologies for any inconvenience this has caused.

    If you either upgrade from a feature phone to a smartphone or switch
    from a smartphone to a new smartphone after 05/27/2012, and you have
    been grandfathered into the Beyond Talk $25, $40 or $60 plan, you will
    be required to update your plan to one of the new Beyond Talk plan rates
    ($35, $45 or $55 plans).

    If you have the $25, $40 or $60 plan and you upgrade or change your
    phone after 05/27/2012, you will be prompted to change the plan.

    If you need additional assistance, feel free to let us know how we can
    assist further or contact us at 1-888-322-1122 (or *86 from a Virgin
    Mobile handset). You can reach us Monday through Sunday from 4:00 AM ?
    9:00 PM PST. As a kind reminder, always make sure to include your Virgin
    Mobile phone number and PIN on all replies.


    I'm keeping this email just in case if they do try to pull that May 1st thing on me if I decide to upgrade.
    Thanked by:
  23. #148  
    LeslieAnn's Avatar
    AC Forums Android Developer

    Posts
    2,893 Posts
    ROM
    Harmonia 3

    Default Re: starting may 27th grandfathered plans will no longer be perma

    Quote Originally Posted by glarepate View Post
    In terms of buying a phone from the new lineup it's already too late to keep your grandfathered plan. They have stated on the web page (see link in someone's previous comment) that your grandfathered plan will go up if you buy any phone released after May 1st. That date has already passed even though the only new phone you can get is the Elite and it isn't on the VM website yet.
    Hmm, that runs contrary to the announcement they posted, not to mention common sense.
    I suspect someone has made an error somewhere.



    Edit: Yes, it looks like someone made an error because most mentioning of the 27th has been changed.
    Not sure why they did it this way, it makes ZERO sense. It probably won't matter anyhow, since we probably won't see a new phone before than.

    Harmonia Developer for Optimus V, Optimus Elite, One V, Evo V, Evo Shift, Evo V
    Donate here if you feel inclined to brighten my day.
    Thanked by:
  24. #149  
    LeslieAnn's Avatar
    AC Forums Android Developer

    Posts
    2,893 Posts
    ROM
    Harmonia 3

    Default Re: starting may 27th grandfathered plans will no longer be perma

    Interesting thread on Straight Talk for those considering it.

    Harmonia Developer for Optimus V, Optimus Elite, One V, Evo V, Evo Shift, Evo V
    Donate here if you feel inclined to brighten my day.
  25. #150  

    Default Re: starting may 27th grandfathered plans will no longer be perma

    Quote Originally Posted by LeslieAnn View Post
    Interesting thread on Straight Talk for those considering it.
    Straight Talk sounds like a bunch of pathetic losers. Despite the big increase in virgin mobile service cost at least they seem like they take better care of their customers. Even with tethering and all I have never been harassed by VM so I guess even if i'm forced to one day upgrade my phone I will gladly stay and pay 35 dollars.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

B