starting may 27th grandfathered plans will no longer be permanent

roblox84

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Re: starting may 27th grandfathered plans will no longer be perma

I highly doubt they will do that considering it's a 4G capable handset.

Sent from my LG Optimus V running OM_Mandylion-IHO using Tapatalk 2

Damn. So I guess I will have to stick with my optimus or upgrade to the triumph although the bad reviews about the triumph are a little off putting.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

Does anyone know if any good new phones will drop before May.27? I would really like to upgrade and am hoping they release the evo 3d before the cutoff so people can still be grandfathered and have something better then the optimus v.
I would put money that the Optimus Elite will be out by then.
I also have heard wispers that the One V might.
Don't count on either though.

Keep in mind, both are 3g phones (I think), but either would make a nice present/upgrade for grandfathered users if done in time to allow them to stay on the old plans with a newer phone. Also, even if you get it on the 24th, if the phone is scheduled for launch the 28th, Virgin may force you to wait until then, or make you change your plan. It wouldn't be the first time.

Even though I don't expect it (I don't expect any 4g phones before the cutoff date), I have a bit set aside just in case the 3D drops before that date so I can grab it.

If none of this happens,
What you do is wait for Triumph users to upgrade, and then buy a known, good working Triumph for cheap. I also may know of an Evo 4g that could qualify.

roblox84

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site

Keep in mind, both are 3g phones (I think), but either would make a nice present/upgrade for grandfathered users if done in time to allow them to stay on the old plans with a newer phone. Also, even if you get it on the 24th, if the phone is scheduled for launch the 28th, Virgin may force you to wait until then, or make you change your plan. It wouldn't be the first time.

Even though I don't expect it (I don't expect any 4g phones before the cutoff date), I have a bit set aside just in case the 3D drops before that date so I can grab it.

If none of this happens,
What you do is wait for Triumph users to upgrade, and then buy a known, good working Triumph for cheap. I also may know of an Evo 4g that could qualify.

I am definitely not betting on it but I will remain very hopeful. I am mostly hoping that anything much better then the optimus v releases before May 27th so I can upgrade and have a decent phone for a few years. Even if it won't be 4g I will gladly still use 3g to avoid being bumped up 10 dollars a month since a 25 dollar a month "unlimited" data plan is unheard of now a day's.

Edit.....Which one would you prefer, the optimus elite or triumph? I have heard really bad things about the triumph but I am unsure of whether the owners were using the stock firmware or custom. I would imagine that with custom firmware the triumph wouldn't be such a buggy phone.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

Since the phone is un-released its hard to recommend it.

The Triumph has little to no real development.

I think you might be out of luck.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

Edit.....Which one would you prefer, the optimus elite or triumph?

Personally...
I avoid the Triumph like the plague.
I don't care if they fixed "most" of the problems, I don't buy low end products with high end specs. There is always huge compromises made in those situations.

Optimus V - a collection of quality, but cheap parts, wrapped around a cheap, but well designed shell.
Triumph - a few very good parts, surrounded by a bunch of crap parts in order to make those good parts affordable.

Reactions: brotherswing

glarepate

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site

If none of this happens,

In terms of buying a phone from the new lineup it's already too late to keep your grandfathered plan. They have stated on the web page (see link in someone's previous comment) that your grandfathered plan will go up if you buy any phone released after May 1st. That date has already passed even though the only new phone you can get is the Elite and it isn't on the VM website yet.

roblox84

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site

In terms of buying a phone from the new lineup it's already too late to keep your grandfathered plan. They have stated on the web page (see link in someone's previous comment) that your grandfathered plan will go up if you buy any phone released after May 1st. That date has already passed even though the only new phone you can get is the Elite and it isn't on the VM website yet.

That's what I thought so I emailed them and got this back:

Hello Robert,

Thanks for contacting Virgin Mobile Customer Care.

First let me extend my apologies for any inconvenience this has caused.

If you either upgrade from a feature phone to a smartphone or switch
from a smartphone to a new smartphone after 05/27/2012, and you have
been grandfathered into the Beyond Talk $25, $40 or $60 plan, you will
be required to update your plan to one of the new Beyond Talk plan rates
($35, $45 or $55 plans).

If you have the $25, $40 or $60 plan and you upgrade or change your
phone after 05/27/2012, you will be prompted to change the plan.

If you need additional assistance, feel free to let us know how we can
assist further or contact us at 1-888-322-1122 (or *86 from a Virgin
Mobile handset). You can reach us Monday through Sunday from 4:00 AM ?
9:00 PM PST. As a kind reminder, always make sure to include your Virgin
Mobile phone number and PIN on all replies.

I'm keeping this email just in case if they do try to pull that May 1st thing on me if I decide to upgrade.

Reactions: glarepate

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

Hmm, that runs contrary to the announcement they posted, not to mention common sense.
I suspect someone has made an error somewhere.

Edit: Yes, it looks like someone made an error because most mentioning of the 27th has been changed.
Not sure why they did it this way, it makes ZERO sense. It probably won't matter anyhow, since we probably won't see a new phone before than.

Reactions: glarepate

roblox84

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site

Interesting thread on Straight Talk for those considering it.
So Straight Talk called me....

Straight Talk sounds like a bunch of pathetic losers. Despite the big increase in virgin mobile service cost at least they seem like they take better care of their customers. Even with tethering and all I have never been harassed by VM so I guess even if i'm forced to one day upgrade my phone I will gladly stay and pay 35 dollars.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

Straight Talk sounds like a bunch of pathetic losers. Despite the big increase in virgin mobile service cost at least they seem like they take better care of their customers. Even with tethering and all I have never been harassed by VM so I guess even if i'm forced to one day upgrade my phone I will gladly stay and pay 35 dollars.

For non android smart phones you cant beat Straight talk. However seeing how they use ATT Im sure they are under a lot of pressure from ATT. I think within the year you will see a new price scale for BYOD smart phone plans.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

Things are already shifting just due to 4g access, but yeah, ST is fine for talk.
It's not meant for data users, particularly the AT&T side.

Which brings up an issue about 4g, AT&T, Iphone and data...
AT&T is now pushing people away from Iphones onto Android to get them on 4g. AT&T 's 3g simply cannot keep up so sales staff has been informed to try and push more 4g Androids apparently.

This is precisely why all the major carriers are now putting 4g on prepaid, not just Sprint. They simply MUST offload the 3g data onto 4g before they all end up with Virgin speeds. 3G simply cannot take the strain. This is also why we aren't likely to see an Iphone on Virgin anytime soon. Yes, it would help Sprint sell Iphones, but it puts that much more strain on 3g, so I wouldn't count on seeing one anytime soon as it would have to be an older 3g model.

There is three ways I see us getting the Iphone...
If Apple were to release a lower end 4g model, don't put it past them now that Jobs is gone, this won't be anytime soon though as they would have to put the new model on postpaid first. Or, if Sprint manages to offload a lot of 3g onto 4g, they could then offer an older Iphone to us. Otherwise, we will have to wait until we have Iphone 6 in postpaid hands, and we can get the 4g iphone 5.

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site

I know this isn't really the topic at hand, but do you think it's possible that Apple will instead of releasing a "lower end" model, price the upcoming model(s) accordingly with the usually older tech that is actually inside the device, and then a "higher end" model with current tech for once?

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

Making one with all the very current would put the phone way over the top in pricing, so I doubt you will see it.

ScottColbert

May 3, 2011
Visit site

I know this isn't really the topic at hand, but do you think it's possible that Apple will instead of releasing a "lower end" model, price the upcoming model(s) accordingly with the usually older tech that is actually inside the device, and then a "higher end" model with current tech for once?

They're already kinda sorta doing that though. The (subsidized) price for the 4S is the same as the 4; the 3GS and 3G are less than 100 bucks. As higher end Androids come out, most in the 199-299 range, Apple can be seen as competitively pricing without really doing anything.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae