T-Mobile $30 Prepaid VS VM Prepaid

Kahroo

Android in training
Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
So I hardly ever make calls or ever go over 100 mins. I just text a lot and use a lot of data. So which do you think would be better for me? And you can bring any phone to T-Mobile and they can activate it on their $30 plan or does it have to be a certain phone?

epicb0dyc0unt

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
I am pretty sure that the 30$ plan with 5gb of 4g is only available with walmart purchases and activations

just ya know...tapatalkin' from my OpV

tvall

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm thinking of switching to that. You need a GSM phone unlocked or locked to tmobile. don't know of any further restrictions... I'll find out when I get the money for a nexus.

And T-Mobile 3g is much faster than vm 3g. But I think sprint and vm have better coverage than tmo..

Kahroo

Android in training
Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm thinking of switching to that. You need a GSM phone unlocked or locked to tmobile. don't know of any further restrictions... I'll find out when I get the money for a nexus.

And T-Mobile 3g is much faster than vm 3g. But I think sprint and vm have better coverage than tmo..

I was thinking of Getting a Google Nexus too. But IDK. How much is a unlocked GNX1?

And yeah where I am I get full bars except in one part of my town.

Kahroo

Android in training
Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Don't think T-Mobile uses 3g anymore. Once you go over your 4g limit, it brings you to 2g. But I am probably wrong.

Yeah I that is right but IDK. And I will mostly use my phone for IM/Skype/Youtube vids(Non HQ)/Some Internet browsing. So I think I shouldn't go over 5GBs

Last edited:

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Any unlocked gsm phone or any t-mobile phone.

No other restrictions on the phones.

After you reach your cap on 4G it drops you to 2G. Postpaid T-Mo has 3g coverage but the prepaid doesnt. If you cant get 4G service you are on 2G.

I disagree with the coverage tho. In my area T-Mo has better voice and data coverage than VM. Yes that is the prepaid T-Mo service too.

If you are serious about going to T-mo and can afford it Google is selling the Galazy Nexus S For 399. That is about 50 bucks more than most prepaid phones on T-mo site. Im sure you can find a used phone cheaper tho. The only advantage of T-Mo for me is it has coverage where I need it. VM has good service but bad coverage for my area.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
If 4g is available, you use that, if not, you get 3g (all with no roaming).
And yes, you do have 3g, I have no idea where the rumor came from that there is no 3g. When you exceed the data quota you drop to 2g, which I hear is about 100k.

Be sure to check coverage with neighbors and such before you switch. At my house I get 500k-1.8meg on Virgin in my house, but my neighbor across the street on T-mobile gets spotty data outside the house and no data inside. In another neighborhood, you get no data on any carrier, but you get can get a cell signal with T-mobile.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
If 4g is available, you use that, if not, you get 3g (all with no roaming).
And yes, you do have 3g, I have no idea where the rumor came from that there is no 3g. When you exceed the data quota you drop to 2g, which I hear is about 100k.

Be sure to check coverage with neighbors and such before you switch. At my house I get 500k-1.8meg on Virgin in my house, but my neighbor across the street on T-mobile gets spotty data outside the house and no data inside. In another neighborhood, you get no data on any carrier, but you get can get a cell signal with T-mobile.

Where I live I dont get 4G and 3G is available to contract phones. A friend has the same phone as I on contract with T-mo he get 3G service sitting next to me and I get 2G. For me its not a rumor its proven.

rhea

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
So I hardly ever make calls or ever go over 100 mins. I just text a lot and use a lot of data. So which do you think would be better for me? And you can bring any phone to T-Mobile and they can activate it on their $30 plan or does it have to be a certain phone?

I just read today that google gsm unlocked galaxy nexus works with tmob $30 web special. You have to sign up online which is one of the options (walmart other option) for this deal. New service only. I haven't tried it yet as I haven't purchased the phone yet.

sent from my TT (terrific Thrive) using TT (Tapatalk)

dwappo

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Where I live I dont get 4G and 3G is available to contract phones. A friend has the same phone as I on contract with T-mo he get 3G service sitting next to me and I get 2G. For me its not a rumor its proven.

Data: Domestic & international roaming not available. Some plans include specified data speeds. Where indicated, full speeds available up to data allotment; then slowed up to 2G speeds.

From the bottom of the plans page on the tmobile site:

Monthly 4G Prepaid Plans | Compare Prepaid Data Plans | T-Mobile

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
@LeslieAnn
I dunno I thought T-Mo prepaid service was the same unless you were over the data allocation. I went with T-mo because my friend had the same phone and was getting 3G here. His phone is bone stock and it shows 3G here.

@dwappo I know what the TOS says heh I have a hard copy in my possession.

I could be wrong and as always probably am wrong. I just know what Ive seen. Either way once you use your data up it kicks you to 2G.

Also the 30 dollar plan is available at walmart.com, walmart stores and online at T-mobile.com. Supposedly some T-mo stores will help you set-up the plan in store if you are unsure how to do it. It is for new service.

dwappo

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
@dwappo I know what the TOS says heh I have a hard copy in my possession.

Either way once you use your data up it kicks you to 2G.

I was actually agreeing with you, that's why I put that there. ^^

But there's 3G on the contract plans? Or am I mistaken and there's 4G then 2G for both plans?

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
@LeslieAnn
I dunno I thought T-Mo prepaid service was the same unless you were over the data allocation. I went with T-mo because my friend had the same phone and was getting 3G here. His phone is bone stock and it shows 3G here.

I wonder if your phone is AT&T based, that can cause what you see. I know AT&T Iphones are that way (no 3g on T-mobile).

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if your phone is AT&T based, that can cause what you see. I know AT&T Iphones are that way (no 3g on T-mobile).

No its a SGS4G its a T-Mobile exclusive phone. Im not too worried its a hold me over phone. Hopefully within the next month Ill have the GNEX.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
psaturn