Play Store Server Error and Required Apps for Play Store?

jodokastlwc

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Hello! This is my first post :)

I've been trying and reading a bunch but I can't seem to figure this out. Goggle Play Store has a Server Error and it seems to come when I stop a lot of auto running apps or when I block some. I'm rooted running the stock ROM with the Picasticks-07a.

I had removed the Market Updater apk awhile ago but then ended up doing a factory reset (unfortunately I did it from the Settings menu... but I got it fixed now!), so now I have everything back to default (Market updated to Play Store with Market Updater).

I have removed some of the bloatware from my ROM following the guild by LeslieAnn, and blocked some other apps that I wasn't sure it was safe to remove. Unfortunately, her guild didn't have all the apps that came on my phone and my phone came with some that are not on her guild.

I've fixed permissions, cleared app data, uninstalled Market Updates etc... so I really feel like I'm just blocking auto starts and apps I shouldn't be.

My question then is this: What apps are required for the Play Store to work properly?

I stop auto starts and such because I like to have ~300mb free RAM at idle and boot up in less than 30 seconds.

clodfelterac

Samurai Dev
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
i dont really see the need to 'block' any apps that run on boot... the boot speed would be marginal at best... if a quick boot is what you want then disable boot animations and boot sounds... you will notice a difference... if your rom does not have these options, then you can always download a root capable file manager (i prefer root browser... thankyou jrummy!) from the market and manually go into system>media> and delete bootanimation.zip and android_audio.mp3... done... and leave the updater and play store apks... but im sure youve figured this out by now... :)

p.s. come to the BACKside... you know you want to... lol... ;-)

Last edited:

jodokastlwc

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
No I didn't know about disabling boot sounds and animations to speed up boot, thanks! :)

The apps I have blocked are like Email and VPNServer. I would delete them, but that guild said other stuff MIGHT be dependent on them. So I have some blocked/frozen, and the rest (like my apps and things like Gallery, Camera, Market etc.) kept from auto running on boot and from auto running at things like "no specified action" or "on media mounted." Know what I mean?

I've wanted to use another ROM, do any of them have everything working? I used a couple back in the fall and they didn't seem to have everything working (mms, GPS, synk so on). Is BACKside pretty system light?

kwknott

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Yeah BACKside is a great running rom. If you want something more stripped down you could also try Harmonia 2.0. Leslie has most of the bloat taken out of it

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Since you are downloading from your phone, make ABSOLUTELY sure to do an MD5 check.
You are far more likely to have errors that way.

And yes, using a rom is much easier and better than rooting and trying to do it yourself. Roms have the benefit of either being built from the ground up, or experts picking them apart. EIther way, you end up with a cleaner setup, plus roms have optimizations you simply can't do very easy.

Reactions: kwknott

jodokastlwc

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info :)

And why I have your attention, do you have any idea why some of the apps my Optimus V came with weren't on your handy APK guild and why some were on there that my phone didn't come with? Thanks!

EDIT: or maybe I should read some posts in that thread because it's probably covered...

First Rule of Android READ.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
No one has a complete list from every phone, in fact that is probably the biggest list you will find. It's certainly bigger than I found in hours of searching Google.

As far as I know, everything on the OV should be there. If they aren't you probably don't want to mess with them.
If you can, send me a PM with the ones missing.

jodokastlwc

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so how did I miss Harmonia? It's amazing! I just love how it's stripped down. Just what this phone's moderate specs.

Thanks for the recommendation in your signature! :)

Code Putnam

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
i see you guys were talking about the backside IHO i installed it and now my play store says server error, would any of you fine gents have any idea why this happened? (oh, and my home button does not work anymore)