Farewell Optimus V community! and saynora virgin mobile!!!

colonelcack

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
The borked radio update combined with knowing sprint wasn't upgrading data speeds/capacity in my area were the tipping point to a scale I had been teetering on for a while up until now.

Just got my tax return and decided to spoil myself and ordered a unlocked gsm google galaxy nexus! Pure google experience with HARDWARE ACCELERATED ICS!!! I can't wait. Decided to go with tmobile's $30 plan. Speeds that rival home internet (6-8mbps with <100ms latency!) and more importantly are actually consistent.

But I will miss the community here! For what could have been a very mediocre phone you guys were what made it good! Thank you everyone for your help.

Which leads to my final point...I will no longer be using my OV or VM. If anyone is interested in buying either my grandfathered $25/plan or my OV (first gen, great condition with a 32GB class 4 sdcard) please feel free to make an offer...

Thanks again everyone,
Goodbye and farewell! :'(

Last edited:

colonelcack

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
How awesome is this...I knew the gnex could work on any gsm carrier but I didn't know there are over 10 different GSM plans (even though technically only two providers...see below) currently to choose from! ?And while I knew it was an option to change whenever you want, because I didn't know there were so many choices, the thought never really occurred to me about being able to switch to and from every month to always have the best possible deal:

"Service in the USA is really only provided by 2 major GSM carriers. You know them, they're AT&T and T-Mobile. Both have good coverage and both support HSPA+ (the fast data) in most metro places. HOWEVER, these two providers lease their towers to other companies called MVNO's (Mobile Virtual Network Operator). These guys give you the same coverage and service as AT&T and T-Mobile, but often at different price schemes. Below I've got a list of TEN (10) different operators you can buy service from! And they're not all the same price or features! This is where commoditization hits home. These 10 providers change prices and play against each other. Some are even the same company using different names but using different pricing and feature sets. The beauty of this arrangement is that YOU CAN CHOOSE. At any time (though it make sense monthly on your personal billing cycle) you can switch providers."

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1455014

Granted most of them suck right now compared to the tmobile plan and have lots of fine print...but that's not the point. The point is there IS competition growing for this type of market. This is just the beginning, it's only going to get better!

This is what google is good at, provoking change in the market by force. I know they didn't come up with this concept but they've been pushing it hard with the nexus lineup. This is how all cell phones should be anyways!!! It's what will drive competition to finally get carriers to lower their crazy data prices and archaic plans. Down with sprint's/verizon's non-gsm vendor lock networks!

"It's a dying model. GSM/LTE style SIM based technologies are the way forward. It's a worldwide standard and you'll be likely to see mega-band radios (5 or more!) as we progress into the future."

get with the future mannn...</hippie voice> :p

The more I learn about this phone the more I love it!

Last edited:

roblox84

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I was also pondering the thought of getting a google nexus but on straight talk. Does anyone know if straight talk is any better since it uses both tmobile and att towers?

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Damn Im jealous OP! You sound like you will be having fun. I got a Nexus One, thinking about doing the T Mobile data plan, but I just havent been CONFIDENT enough to use Google Voice exclusively haha

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I was also pondering the thought of getting a google nexus but on straight talk. Does anyone know if straight talk is any better since it uses both tmobile and att towers?

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk
There is a thread talking about Straight Talk. The only downfall to it would be the daily limit of 200mb. Ive been told ATT phones work better for some reason. Either way a unlocked GNex would be a awesome phone. Hoping that I can snag one soon.

Damn Im jealous OP! You sound like you will be having fun. I got a Nexus One, thinking about doing the T Mobile data plan, but I just havent been CONFIDENT enough to use Google Voice exclusively haha

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2
Have you checked with friends or family in your area that have T-Mo service? The coverage map will show the maximum speed you can get not the average.

magiccheeto

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I live in Buffalo, NY, a city primarily filled with sprint users, which did not bode well for my data speeds. I eventually caved and bought a Straight Talk sim card for at&t and bought a Samsung Infuse 4g. I'm quite pleased with the speed of AT&T's hsdpa network and enjoy ~5mbps download on 3g. Much better than the 80kbps on VM. The 200MB data limit per day seems daunting but I rarely use that much in a day and I've since stopped tethering. I enjoy larger voice coverage out in the rural areas than I had with VM and its nice having a newer phone. :) Enjoy your new service, man.

li2327

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I have a Nexus S and love the full Google experience. Especially with the ics update. I'm sure you're going to love it. Have fun. :)

anon(182107)

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I'm going to do the same this summer. I'm buying an Unlocked Galaxy Nexus from Google. I'm already on the T-Mobile 100 min / 5 GB 4G plan (using VoIP for calls) with an Exhibit II 4G.

I'm kind of hesitant about actually getting the Nexus because there is no microSD support and the phone is about ~5 months old, compared to these new HTC One and SGS3 phones. But its still a dual core, and really how many cores does a phone need? What do they expect consumers to do with a quad-core phone? Some people don't even have quad-core PCs yet.

And $399 for a new-in-the-box high end phone doesn't seem like a bad price at all (When you go to a retail store and they want $600-$800 for off-contract purchase). I went to Best Buy back in March because someone I know was considering buying that Droid RAZR at the time, and they wanted $799 for the Verizon CDMA GNexus off-contract. I could buy a new desktop for that much!

The GNexus might not be the newest phone on the market, but I do love AOSP and a phone that ships with just that would be great. Not to mention that since the stock ROM is based on pure Android the phone will have (near)perfect compatibility with Custom ROMs. I'm gonna be so happy when Jelly Bean rolls out and I get it first anyway, and when CM10 starts there's not gonna be any borked cameras or anything of that sort.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm kind of hesitant about actually getting the Nexus because there is no microSD support and the phone is about ~5 months old, compared to these new HTC One and SGS3 phones. But its still a dual core, and really how many cores does a phone need? What do they expect consumers to do with a quad-core phone? Some people don't even have quad-core PCs yet.

Speed and age isn't an issue.
Even Evo 4G people are mostly content with a singe 1gig processor for the most part, so dual is more than plenty for today's apps, and for the near future. look how well you got along with a 600.

I almost went with one, but went Evo 4g instead due to size/screen size ratio, and the sdcard. I really dislike not having a card I can swap out. You pay a fortune for internal memory, but little for external.

mrg666

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
The borked radio update combined with knowing sprint wasn't upgrading data speeds/capacity in my area were the tipping point to a scale I had been teetering on for a while up until now.

Just got my tax return and decided to spoil myself and ordered a unlocked gsm google galaxy nexus! Pure google experience with HARDWARE ACCELERATED ICS!!! I can't wait. Decided to go with tmobile's $30 plan. Speeds that rival home internet (6-8mbps with <100ms latency!) and more importantly are actually consistent.

But I will miss the community here! For what could have been a very mediocre phone you guys were what made it good! Thank you everyone for your help.

Which leads to my final point...I will no longer be using my OV or VM. If anyone is interested in buying either my grandfathered $25/plan or my OV (first gen, great condition with a 32GB class 4 sdcard) please feel free to make an offer...

Thanks again everyone,
Goodbye and farewell! :'(

I was also looking into buying a Google Galaxy Nexus and using with T-Mobile. You just made my intention more serious.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Wait, are you using the EVO on Virgin?
Yes.

They always tell me you have to buy a VM branded phone to use with VM, is that not true?
Yes, you do.

My phone is a hack job of questionable legality, and certainly voids the terms of service. It's not easy, it's risky, and requires a lot of work, but it's nice. When I did it, we had no new phones on the horizon, and Virgin was my best option for service, so I weighed my options and went with this.

Had you asked me before the new phone rumors started if I would do it again, I would have said said yes, in a heartbeat. Would I do it again now that new phones are coming? No, I would wait for the 3D

Money where my mouth is... I plan to buy the 3D when released, I have the money already set aside for it.

tvall

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
Some people don't even have quad-core PCs yet.

The closest thing I've had to a quad core was a cluster of 3 single core Pentium 4 boxes. And I was using a cheap router that could barely handle my cr-48.. I need to actually buy a PC soon. These Pentiums are getting too old to be much fun. But the galaxy nexus on T-Mobile is too tempting...

Question for the community here. I'm getting a job soon but my girlfriend is going to control my spending habits. I only get 20ish% of my paycheck for my gadgets except the first month. I have basically 3 choices, tell me what you think is best:

1. Get the nexus on T-Mobile then save up for the rest of what I want over a few months. (Cost = whatever the gnex costs on Amazon + $30 tmo bill)

2. Replace the motherboard, ram, and CPU in one of my Pentium 4 boxes with a 8 core amd, 16gb ram, and an Asus motherboard (around $500) then get the nexus a few months later

3. Build a new box (same as replacements above + 2 1tb hdd, case, and power supply) (around $700) then get the nexus a few months later

Kahroo

Android in training
Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
The closest thing I've had to a quad core was a cluster of 3 single core Pentium 4 boxes. And I was using a cheap router that could barely handle my cr-48.. I need to actually buy a PC soon. These Pentiums are getting too old to be much fun. But the galaxy nexus on T-Mobile is too tempting...

Question for the community here. I'm getting a job soon but my girlfriend is going to control my spending habits. I only get 20ish% of my paycheck for my gadgets except the first month. I have basically 3 choices, tell me what you think is best:

1. Get the nexus on T-Mobile then save up for the rest of what I want over a few months. (Cost = whatever the gnex costs on Amazon + $30 tmo bill)

2. Replace the motherboard, ram, and CPU in one of my Pentium 4 boxes with a 8 core amd, 16gb ram, and an Asus motherboard (around $500) then get the nexus a few months later

3. Build a new box (same as replacements above + 2 1tb hdd, case, and power supply) (around $700) then get the nexus a few months later

Me personally, I would build a brain new PC then save up for the phone.

tvall

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
Me personally, I would build a brain new PC then save up for the phone.

My big issue deciding here is.... the phone is so shiny and awesome. But the box will be so powerful and cool and awesome. But the phone I can show off in public. But the box I can show off at home without effort. But the phone I would use so often. But the box I could do so much on.

Am I crazy? Or is that normal?
I'm leaning towards the box because I can save for the phone faster. And the box will be more enjoyable to get and put together. But the phone I get to root and flash... but the box I get to put together and then install the whole os.. and I need a phone...

Kahroo

Android in training
Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
My big issue deciding here is.... the phone is so shiny and awesome. But the box will be so powerful and cool and awesome. But the phone I can show off in public. But the box I can show off at home without effort. But the phone I would use so often. But the box I could do so much on.

Am I crazy? Or is that normal?
I'm leaning towards the box because I can save for the phone faster. And the box will be more enjoyable to get and put together. But the phone I get to root and flash... but the box I get to put together and then install the whole os.. and I need a phone...

No you're not crazy. But for me I would rather have a badass gaming rig and still have my Optimus V then have a kickass phone and a craptop that I have now. So many games I want to play. (Diablo 3, Elder Scrolls Online, WoW, and more) And besides the OV is a crazy good phone to hold you over until you can buy the Nexus.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair